Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    I don't think it was scouting. Last season in both games in Oxford the Hawks didn't score until the second period and both games were defensive in nature. Maine managed only 21 shots in the Friday tie - and only nine in the last two periods and overtime. Miami appeared to open in a 1-4 defensive posture but Blasi quickly realized he had the better team and switched to a wide open style. That adjustment turned what could have been a snooze fest into the bonkers game we saw last night, with Miami scoring seven times in a 35 minute span. After establishing a four goal cushion they went back to a defensive posture and attempted only two shots on goal for the final 19:52.
    I meant more with regards to special teams. Maine outscored Miami 5X5. The difference was Maine couldn't stop Miami's PP. 1/6 isn't awful on the PP but that stat flatters Maine. For the most part Maine wasn't able to generate very much.

Red should bring in an outside consultant or something for 5X3. That is one thing he deserves some serious stick for. It's been the whole time he has been coach too. I'm sure it has cost Maine at least half a dozen games since he has been in charge.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      People were joking about that, pretty sure. .
      That's a relief!! I figured it was just left over disagreements.

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      But Red should have been fired, not extended, two years ago, never-mind two weeks. He wasn't a promising candidate for the job in the first place, and all he's done at Maine is to fail miserably since Day One.

Might be a long slog ahead.
      Reds extension was a huge mistake for sure, thought so at the time.
      I was resigned to two more years of this staff and had an open mind about this year, as the team is now 100% Red and company. I wanted to see what he could do.
      Maybe/hopeful last night was a one off mess, but I really doubt it. The team has some talent but as a whole, but what the heck were they doing.
      I don't like to single out players in this forum, but Michel's play was unusual, his head was not in the alfond.
      This could shape up to be the worst season yet in Reds tenure!

Someone mentioned Ben as the predecessor, that would be a huge mistake, does he show energy/leadership/presence? Nice guy, but...

Well we shall see how the season goes, it will be interesting and difficult to watch at times.
      Last edited by NorthMike; 10-21-2017, 08:11 AM.

Comment

A positive aspect of last night's game was the student support. Not only did they fill the balcony, students packed AA, DD, LL and OO. Not ideal from a money standpoint, but if the students can maintain this level of interest at least the atmosphere will be awesome to behold.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
          The problem is Maine doesnt have that depth you think they do. Is it better than past years? Probably but don't compare to other Maine teams, look at their opponents. Conn was faster, Miami blew their doors off .

If Maines depth is so great why is Perez playing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I'm assuming it's because Holesinsky is hurt? I'd prefer someone was in his place but he isn't horrible for your 12th forward. For a lot of last year he was like Maine's eighth best forward.

Maine has a couple really fast north-south guys in Vesey and Robbins but no one who can fly around the zone the way Green did. He was impressive to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            A positive aspect of last night's game was the student support. Not only did they fill the balcony, students packed AA, DD, LL and OO. Not ideal from a money standpoint, but if the students can maintain this level of interest at least the atmosphere will be awesome to behold.
            There are so many tickets left unsold it isn't hurting one bit. The place would be completely dead without the students. Hopefully they are having fun despite the play.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              Rico obviously did a good job scouting Maine and his players(except for their goalie) executed. Agreed on the Maine's PP. When the point guys couldn't get a shooting lane they had no clue what to do other than just pass it back and fourth.

What are your thoughts on Maine's PK? Is it as simple as guys needing more reps or something else? In my mind where the D is so improved there is no need for it to be this bad. Some of it could be confidence as well.
              The PP looked about the same as against UCONN. Although last night Maine scored, what 3 goals from the point? The Miami goalie seems to have a weakness there.
              During the PP they just all stand at their corners, no real movement to get the D shifting and having someone slide into the slot. Passes were lousy, they missed position passes to set up someone for a quick shot. Etc

Comment

Holway back is a good thing. papalardo and Perez playing against a team who blew your doors off last night must be a hunch?
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Halfway through first exact opposite of last night. Maine much faster and better than miami. long way to go but what a remarkable turnaround from last night. Depth is showing so far.
                  UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                    Halfway through first exact opposite of last night. Maine much faster and better than miami. long way to go but what a remarkable turnaround from last night. Depth is showing so far.
                    5 to 1 Maine after 1, WT F

Comment

Not sure if it was a matter of Maine playing well or Miami being garbage, (some of both I think) but 5-1 Maine after the first. I think Miami's first line is very tired, and while they were by far the best players on the ice I don't think Miami's depth is all that impressive. Although, I don't like the goal allowed with 5 seconds left one bit. Hopefully it doesn't dampen their confidence the rest of the way.

Comment

Miami does look less dynamic.
                        Holway on ice for goals. 1goal, two or one assist.

Comment

Miami is less dynamic and Maine is more dynamic.

Comment

Little extracurricular activity

Comment

Probably the biggest extracirricular battle since the end of the game VS Lowell last year.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                                Probably the biggest extracirricular battle since the end of the game VS Lowell last year.
                                Perez with 5 minute major, Miami scores.deja vu all over again

Comment

Working...
                                X