Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I tried to tell people that once or twice heading into the season
    I wonder what Fishy will have to say about the lack of talent after tonight...

Comment

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Maine won a game! Let's raise a banner!

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
        Dave Quinn great GM. Not a great coach

All due respect to Quinn, he's the Brian Kelly of college hockey coaches.

Comment

Been a while since i saw a win over bu, awesome.
          This maine team has decent speed. Also seeing some improvements that is coaching related, things they must be working on. Good to see finally. This is going to be an interesting season.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Maine won a game! Let's raise a banner!
            It's not all about you.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
              It's not all about you.
              Thanks for the update. People are talking about bandwagons and looking to hold it over someone's head that they actually won a game. It was against a team with a losing record which was rated 25th in the KRACH. But hey, it is apparently good enough for some of you so live it up!

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                Thanks for the update. People are talking about bandwagons and looking to hold it over someone's head that they actually won a game. It was against a team with a losing record which was rated 25th in the KRACH. But hey, it is apparently good enough for some of you so live it up!
                We will! Go rain on someone elses parade, Mr. Negativity.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                  My god this BU team is lazy. Maine up 4-2.
                  I think this says it all, BU great on paper talent, not much for hard work. I think it was their 2nd goal, perfect example of that talent, excellent execution of a 3 on 2, ended with open net. Don't think I've seen that at UMaine in years. BU threaded passes that Maine would never be able to make But Maine works hard most nights and that trumps lazy talent. I imagine you will see BUs talent tonight. If Maine loses 10 to zip I'll think Maine has made no progress toward the goal of a decent team. But thats just me. I think tonight was a good win, love beating BU more than any other team. Maine PK was pretty good also.

Oh yeah, pretty obvious who the starting goalie is now, I knew he would start last night after his last performance 2 weeks ago. I figure Bubba tonight though as he did well last time he played in the Civic center
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

If I had to make predictions for HE based on results to date......

1. BC
                    2. Providence
                    3. Northeastern
                    4. UMass-Lowell
                    5. Maine
                    6. UNH
                    7. BU
                    8. UMass
                    9. UConn
                    10. Vermont
                    11. Merrimack

I think that Maine is in the same pod as UMass-Lowell, UNH & BU fighting for 4th-7th place.

Comment

I also totally expect BU to come out flying tonight & win convincingly....probably a reversal of last night 5-2.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        I think this says it all, BU great on paper talent, not much for hard work. I imagine you will see BUs talent tonight.
                        Depends. They typically play poorly one night and "decent" the next. There are two schools of thought:
                        1) It's a team of "all stars" and they don't have any "grinders" to feed them or
                        2) They're just going through the motions until they get to the NHL.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. When you have played against some of the competition all around the world that a lot of these guys have, it's tough to get "up" for games in the first semester (you may say, "Well then good luck at the next level" but that's not the point. We're talking about NOW.

ANY team should have balance, and this team is loaded with too much "young" all-star talent. There is no leadership to keep them focused and working hard every night. Of course, part of that responsibility lies with the coach, who apparently is great at recruiting them to BU but not so great at coaching them. Regarding the comments that "they don't progress much when they're here," well that sort of is an indictment on the coach. You just need to look at Keller and McAvoy if you have any doubt about their talent and what they can produce if "properly" guided.

I expect they will play better tonight. 10-0? Um...no...

Comment

BU's playing style allowed Maine to demonstrate that they are a much better skating & passing team than recent Maine teams. That might not be saying much considering how abysmal Maine has been over the past few seasons....but it was very noticeable last night. That coupled with a quickly developing Swayman in net & an improving penalty kill might mean quite a jump in the standings if they continue to work hard & stay focused.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                            BU's playing style allowed Maine to demonstrate that they are a much better skating & passing team than recent Maine teams. That might not be saying much considering how abysmal Maine has been over the past few seasons....but it was very noticeable last night. That coupled with a quickly developing Swayman in net & an improving penalty kill might mean quite a jump in the standings if they continue to work hard & stay focused.
                            What "style" would that be? You mean going through the motions until they get behind and then deciding to play hard?

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              What "style" would that be? You mean going through the motions until they get behind and then deciding to play hard?
                              It depends on your POV.

I think that Maine will compete better with the BUs, BCs & UNHs this season. They could also struggle against grinder/defensive style teams. Swayman will be worth a few wins. I'm just happy that this team doesn't put me to sleep!

Comment

The biggest home win Maine has had in years and it is the only game from last night without video highlights on the Hockey East website. No highlights on Maine's athletic site. No highlights on Maine's YouTube channel which has a single 27 second clip from this year from the UConn game to go with many football game highlights.

There are a hundred D-III athletic departments run more competently than the University of Maine.

Comment

Working...
                                X