Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    That's a fairly weak remark, considering that Maine went to Virginia, played in stifling heat vs. the defending National Champions and the current #1 team in FCS, and hung-in like a pack of bulldogs for 3 quarters.

Football has a shot at getting into the PS. Hockey, not so much. I'll eat my Sox cap if hockey even finishes at .500.

I'm a fan of all Maine sports, as bad as most of them are... But give football credit: that program has a clue as far as being competitive on a meager budget.

Doesn't matter if you don't win. Goes to show how soft Maine fans - hockey included - have gotten over the years if you guys are satisfied with competing for two and a half quarters before getting run off the field. It didn't help that the QB looked more like Ryan Fitzpatrick than Tom Brady

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      I'm sure they are feeling it. They have all their own players this year and there is no excuse if Maine isn't successful. I'm confident defense and goaltending will be better but not too sure about offense. The freshmen forwards will make or break the season.
      I know you bleed Maine blue and so do myself and many-many others....but no excuses period....no matter what....he took and wanted the Job, and he has talked and talked....time is up on the talk....its time to show it on the Ice and also behind the Bench....no excuse...none what so ever.

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
        Doesn't matter if you don't win. Goes to show how soft Maine fans - hockey included - have gotten over the years if you guys are satisfied with competing for two and a half quarters before getting run off the field. It didn't help that the QB looked more like Ryan Fitzpatrick than Tom Brady
        To the hockey included: Time is NOW to change the mind set, right on....losing stinks and has stunk for quite some time....nobody believes the teams of past will ever show up but that's does not mean they can't win....right now Maine is in a hole that many figure they will never climb out of....things will change when and if you have the people dedicated to the Program and take some pride back into the Hockey Program. Never to LATE.

Comment

And to finish the Hat Trick RANT..!!! No Season Tickets again today. Called and the Ticket Office can't figure WHY....another LOSING part of the "U".

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            ....things will change when and if you have the people dedicated to the Program and take some pride back into the Hockey Program. Never to LATE.
            Fortunately they have Friends of Maine Hockey to hel...oh, right.

Comment

Last bit is about Doherty https://rinksiderhodeisland.com
              Sounds good but......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Sounds good but......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                Agreed.

I listened to Red's show tonight and honestly there wasn't much useful information. Hayes said that Keeper, Tiru, and Tralmaks looked good and the freshmen class overall was fast, but that was about it. It was kind of disappointing where the season starts Sunday they didn't talk a little bit about the freshmen and what the team will look like.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  I'm sure they are feeling it. They have all their own players this year and there is no excuse if Maine isn't successful. I'm confident defense and goaltending will be better but not too sure about offense. The freshmen forwards will make or break the season.
                  Defense and Red could be the weak spots. Offense should be ok. The freshmen forwards last year were good. Scoring will be weak on the top line, its just that the seniors arent dynamite, unless things changed over the summer. The line 2 and 3 should be good. Reds coaching style, system and how he seems to get the players sold on the system and energized to put on the Maine sweater is just, well bad. There are a few bright spots in defense, we shall see what the freshmen D bring, and if the D can work together and with the goalies better.

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                    I essentially agree, but don't count football out just yet. Their schedule was front-loaded. This is a pretty good team. Josh Mack is an exceptional talent who could have made an impact at D-1.

I'd love it if hockey had a shot going forward, but I just don't see it. Red has finished what Tim started. We are all whistling past the graveyard on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      Fortunately they have Friends of Maine Hockey to hel...oh, right.
                      You can THANK the AD for that. SAD.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                        Defense and Red could be the weak spots..
                        If the coach is the weak spot it won't matter what else is going on.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          If the coach is the weak spot it won't matter what else is going on.
                          Can you imagine a player like Vesey coming to the bench after even just one shift of floating around the zones not back checking with Walsh behind the bench? Red needs to hold that behavior accountable and set good habits for the younger players. Creating a culture of hard work can help bridge the gap of having lesser talent, but we haven't seen that ability from this staff yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
                            Can you imagine a player like Vesey coming to the bench after even just one shift of floating around the zones not back checking with Walsh behind the bench? Red needs to hold that behavior accountable and set good habits for the younger players. Creating a culture of hard work can help bridge the gap of having lesser talent, but we haven't seen that ability from this staff yet.
                            Shawn's teams always had four lines though. It's hard when you're going out every other shift. The depth of this year's team I am excited about more than anything else. Not to beat up on old friend Timmy, but after a few years Maine was pretty weak on the third and fourth lines. For Maine to be successful they are going to have to be deep where we're likely not going to have the high end talent of some of the other teams.

Comment

Shawn's teams always had four lines though. It's hard when you're going out every other shift. The depth of this year's team I am excited about more than anything else. Not to beat up on old friend Timmy, but after a few years Maine was pretty weak on the third and fourth lines. For Maine to be successful they are going to have to be deep where we're likely not going to have the high end talent of some of the other teams.
                              To be fair I can't remember the last time Maine had a team with a truly solid bottom six. 2005? 2006? It's been a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
                                To be fair I can't remember the last time Maine had a team with a truly solid bottom six. 2005? 2006? It's been a while.
                                Yeah, that's around what I'm thinking as well. It's just as bad on defense. 2002 was the last time Maine had a good group there. Hopefully this year we see major improvements with both groups.

Comment

Working...
                                X