Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

I'm very happy with 4-6 at this stage and think Maine has put themselves in great position to finish .500. The schedule in the second half is much easier and the games that really county are against UNH, UMass, and Merrimack. Those are the games Maine needs to win.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      What good would it have done if Maine played great and lost 3-1?
      Psychological element and confidence purposes. I'm not here to sound the alarm bells, but it defintely does matter. After turning in two pretty good performances against the preseason favorites for the conference title, to be absolutely smoked 7-0 could blunt any momentum they may have had right here, while turning in a hard fought 3-1 L could have kept the mojo flowing.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
        Psychological element and confidence purposes. I'm not here to sound the alarm bells, but it defintely does matter. After turning in two pretty good performances against the preseason favorites for the conference title, to be absolutely smoked 7-0 could blunt any momentum they may have had right here, while turning in a hard fought 3-1 L could have kept the mojo flowing.
        +1. It would have showed some heart, it would have showed the staff had them ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        Last edited by walrus; 11-19-2017, 11:00 AM.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
          If you look at the last couple of years though Maine has had a lot of good performances where they have lost and it doesn't seem like those helped them at all. I think in a lot of cases its easier just to say we were second best and move on to the next game. Maine was awful Friday night against Miami and then played great Saturday night.

Red was very smart to switch the rotation. Swayman will now face Providence and Bub will get the ECAC team. The people who want to see Bub axed are crazy. It's very important to keep Swayman fresh and Bub ready.

Comment

10 games in youre talking a 919 save vs 875 how many games can you pizz away waiting for that to equalize? Split had to be 3 of 4 or 4 of 5 for Swayman at this point. Its time.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              If you look at the last couple of years though Maine has had a lot of good performances where they have lost and it doesn't seem like those helped them at all.
              But were some of those hard fought losses immediately on the heels of scoring eleven goals in a two game span against what were considered conference favorites? Again, I'm not saying the season is over, shut off the lights, but to say that losing 7-0 is "no big deal" is a bit shortsighted, until and unless they come out the next time and prove it was "no big deal".

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              Red was very smart to switch the rotation. Swayman will now face Providence and Bub will get the ECAC team. The people who want to see Bub axed are crazy. It's very important to keep Swayman fresh and Bub ready.
              This is where I start to agree with you. I'm still not totally against the idea of keeping Rob in for games, because they don't want to rush Jeremy into the starting role too early and for rest purposes. The only thing I will say though is if on the off chance we beat the Friars and draw Clarkson, we should start Jeremy again. If we play RPI, then it should defintely be Rob's game to start.

Comment

I guess I don't get the point of giving up a home game to play in Portland. Alfond was rocking Friday night, Saturday, the civic center was filled with people who couldn't care who was playing. I noticed the same thing last year. 7000 people, no atmosphere. I think the venue is fine for non conference tournament play, but IMO it's time to do away with the Portland "home" game concept.

Comment

I'm very happy with 4-6 at this stage and think Maine has put themselves in great position to finish .500. The schedule in the second half is much easier and the games that really county are against UNH, UMass, and Merrimack. Those are the games Maine needs to win.
                  Maine's SOS so far is 40th in the nation. Probably won't get much easier down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    Maine's SOS so far is 40th in the nation. Probably won't get much easier down the road.
                    Lowell, BU, and Duluth all made the NCAA tourney last year and Duluth was obviously in the final. Miami is okay but it is tough for them where their league is so good. UConn isn't a great team and you could argue Maine should have swept that series.

Comment

Lowell, BU, and Duluth all made the NCAA tourney last year and Duluth was obviously in the final. Miami is okay but it is tough for them where their league is so good. UConn isn't a great team and you could argue Maine should have swept that series.
                      Doesn't matter what happened last year. Maine is 4-6 against mediocre-to-bad teams this year.

Maine needs to win probably 75% of their remaining games to have any kind of a shot at the PW, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        Doesn't matter what happened last year. Maine is 4-6 against mediocre-to-bad teams this year.

Maine needs to win probably 75% of their remaining games to have any kind of a shot at the PW, IMO.
                        I'll trust a sample size of 40 over 10 any day. I've always thought pairwise type formulas were a joke anyway. At one point there was a team that was 0-1 ahead of Maine when they were 2-2 or something like that. How does that make any sense?

Comment

I'll trust a sample size of 40 over 10 any day. I've always thought pairwise type formulas were a joke anyway. At one point there was a team that was 0-1 ahead of Maine when they were 2-2 or something like that. How does that make any sense?
                          Because it isn't built for 4 or 1 game samples. How do you want to measure Maine against other teams? Height?

Regardless, by PWR or RPI, Maine is 51 out of 60. By KRACH, 44th. Those all seem about right to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                            Because it isn't built for 4 or 1 game samples. How do you want to measure Maine against other teams? Height?

Regardless, by PWR or RPI, Maine is 51 out of 60. By KRACH, 44th. Those all seem about right to me.
                            Obviously. That's why I pointed out that it was ridiculous to use it now. At this point in the season the best way is to use a combination of track record and current year's results.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post

I'm no expert re: statistics, but I did take two years of it, and the KRACH is by-far the best model I've seen so far as to predictability and results.

And, as you said, Maine is a bottom-feeder by any available metric. They need to get white-hot to have a shot at the tournament.

Beating RPI, Mack, UMass won't amount to much, but that has to happen every time, as well as cashing-in on the few quality opportunities left to them. (BC, PC, maybe Clarkson.)

I hope it happens, but I won't bet the farm on it. This freshman class isn't anywhere as good as some folks seem to think it is. It's not a crew of awful players, yet I'm not seeing anything much "special" at Maine right now.

Again, I want to be wrong about this, and I'll spend money to see them play another bad team at RPI, but I'm not holding my breath. I just don't notice any meaningful progress under Red... In fact, it's been mostly a regressive thing.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-21-2017, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Sorry to double-post, but as I lay in bed last night, it seems to me that Maine's best shot is actually to win the HEA tournament. That's a lot more doable than getting in via the PWR.

(The PWR is definitely not happening, but HE is fairly lousy this year... That could happen.)
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-22-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X