Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
    You're right, Lowell seems to have it on lockdown to this point in the year.
    Lowell is a surprise so far, how they fair against UNH and NU this weekend will be big. I can't help but think they will get it turned around eventually.
    Last edited by NorthMike; 11-10-2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
      On baseball...looks like they are starting to schedule differently as well. They are definitely getting paid to play at Texas Tech, Miami, & Mew Mexico State....and probably the other Texas schools on the schedule as well. The Ohio series in Atlanta is probably the only away games that aren't subsidized this season.

On football....the bigger problem than playing 2 FBS opponents is that they no longer have any home games in September. this season had one home game between the start of the season and their second home game on Oct.14. That is completely ridiculous. They lucked out with the weather this season but it won't be like that every year. From a pure financial standpoint it might all make sense, but if they continue to marginalize the football program home schedule they will quickly find out that fans will start finding other things to do on Saturdays in the fall.

I noticed that men's basketball is playing 6 guarantee games this season and getting paid $450K for those games! It makes sense for that program right now because they can't draw flies & if they are going to lose then they may as well lose playing on the road vs. good programs.
      So if every sport at UMaine has to start spending its non-conference schedule as a paid punching bag, what are we really doing here? At what point do we recognize that sponsoring these sports at a D-I level is unsustainable and purposeless?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
        The umass win, likely the Carvel and makar factor? Carvel will have them in playing shape......
        I didn't agree with the coaches poll having UMass and Maine tied for last place. In my opinion Greg Carvel brought in more talent and is a better coach than Gendron. Umass appears to be committing more resources to hockey and I would be surprised if Maine finishes ahead of UMass in the standings. I may be wrong but I think Carvel will develop his team as the season progresses.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
          So if every sport at UMaine has to start spending its non-conference schedule as a paid punching bag, what are we really doing here? At what point do we recognize that sponsoring these sports at a D-I level is unsustainable and purposeless?
          Football is the only sport besides hockey where Maines in a conference that has a prayer of an at large ncaa bid. Theres 0 downside to taking punchibg bag $$ in mens womens basketball or baseball bevause conference games are all that matter.

Football could use winnable non league games but their punching bag games are the only ones that pay huge. Its unfortunate. One fbs loss is sustainable, two really isnt

In September Id hoped Maine could beat UMass at Fenway. Pounded them at Gillette last time. But theyre playing better and after the Delaware loss Im thinking Maine could get croaked. Also unfortunate. UMass is the Maine hockey of FBS football
          Last edited by BoSox3066; 11-10-2017, 10:44 AM.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
            On baseball...looks like they are starting to schedule differently as well. They are definitely getting paid to play at Texas Tech, Miami, & Mew Mexico State....and probably the other Texas schools on the schedule as well. The Ohio series in Atlanta is probably the only away games that aren't subsidized this season.

On football....the bigger problem than playing 2 FBS opponents is that they no longer have any home games in September. this season had one home game between the start of the season and their second home game on Oct.14. That is completely ridiculous. They lucked out with the weather this season but it won't be like that every year. From a pure financial standpoint it might all make sense, but if they continue to marginalize the football program home schedule they will quickly find out that fans will start finding other things to do on Saturdays in the fall.

I noticed that men's basketball is playing 6 guarantee games this season and getting paid $450K for those games! It makes sense for that program right now because they can't draw flies & if they are going to lose then they may as well lose playing on the road vs. good programs.

And by the way.....did anyone notice that UMass destroyed Providence 5-2 last night?!?!? I'm telling you....HE is ripe for the picking this year!
            The last two goals by UMass were empty netters, yes still a win but they didn't destroy PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
              I didn't agree with the coaches poll having UMass and Maine tied for last place. In my opinion Greg Carvel brought in more talent and is a better coach than Gendron. Umass appears to be committing more resources to hockey and I would be surprised if Maine finishes ahead of UMass in the standings. I may be wrong but I think Carvel will develop his team as the season progresses.
              I really couldn't see very much between Maine, UNH, UMass, Merrimack, and UConn coming into the season. Someone has to be voted last. Where the teams at the top have struggled it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I noticed today St. Lawrence is like 1-8. That doesn't say very much for Carvel.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                Football is the only sport besides hockey where Maines in a conference that has a prayer of an at large ncaa bid. Theres 0 downside to taking punchibg bag $$ in mens womens basketball or baseball bevause conference games are all that matter.

Football could use winnable non league games but their punching bag games are the only ones that pay huge. Its unfortunate. One fbs loss is sustainable, two really isnt

In September Id hoped Maine could beat UMass at Fenway. Pounded them at Gillette last time. But theyre playing better and after the Delaware loss Im thinking Maine could get croaked. Also unfortunate. UMass is the Maine hockey of FBS football
                Or Maine could drop to D-II and be a contender in every sport, instead of the designated bug on the bottom of the real teams' shoes.

Comment

Women's Hockey: Maine 2 Providence 2 Final/Overtime

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                    Most FCS schools only play one, which has the side benefit of not backing them into a corner come playoff time. The typical FCS school that plays one FBS school can then go on and go 8-2 or 7-3 in games in their division, which is the equivalent of being a top 20 FCS team.

Maine has to go at least 7-2. Maybe 8-1 if there is a strong at large contingent. That's top 5-10 in the country. If Maine is one of the 15-20 best teams in the country, they will have an extra loss and will get passed over. They are scheduling themselves out of the playoffs, unless they are one of the two best teams in the CAA, in which case they might get the auto bid.

I understand the money piece (I am the one arguing that Maine shouldn't expect much because we are broke), but the solution isn't throwing in the towel on seasons for a team the athletic department wants to push as one of its golden gooses before they even start.
                    I don't disagree much, but I'll say this:

1. My local sources tell me Maine got $650,000 to show-up in Syracuse a few years back, and

2. The FCS selection process generally seems to ignore losses to FBS schools, even while it rewards wins against those teams. Seems fair enough in both respects.

Having said that, one FBS game on the schedule works for me. I wish it wasn't so, but the FCS schools can always use the money.

Comment

NU crushed BU and Lowell beat UNH
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Northeastern has a ton of talent and could be really good if they get decent coaching and goaltending. Those are both obviously huge wildcards.

This is like a BU team from Parker's last 15 years.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          Northeastern has a ton of talent and could be really good if they get decent coaching and goaltending. Those are both obviously huge wildcards.

This is like a BU team from Parker's last 15 years.
                          Goaltending for NU will tell how far they go in Hockey East and beyond...good/solid and they will be a force in League play and possible chance @ NCAA's.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Will be a back and forth league this season, could come down to the wire for the first 8 spots in Hockey East...

Comment

Lowell really looked like they took it to UNH last night looking at the box score and watching the highlights. The Whitt looked empty especially considering they're ranked 9th. I think Lowell will be back. I know there's been a lot of talk about Providence but I think Notheastern might be the team to watch. BU is really struggling, hope the guys take it to them next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
                                Lowell really looked like they took it to UNH last night looking at the box score and watching the highlights. The Whitt looked empty especially considering they're ranked 9th. I think Lowell will be back. I know there's been a lot of talk about Providence but I think Notheastern might be the team to watch. BU is really struggling, hope the guys take it to them next weekend.
                                Lets hope....but then which team will show up as one night there good/great to the next there awful/bad...and vise versa.....................time to string good/great games in a row.

Comment

Working...
                                X