Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Originally posted by Stevo1091 View Post
    He was on crutches this weekend. Not sure what happened or what the extent of the injury is though.
    That really sucks. Hopefully he isn't out for more than a month or two.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Yesterday was a pretty uninspiring game overall. Not impressed with the way Maine got dominated in the face off circle, that needs to improve. The SHG by UConn right after Maine made it 3-1 absolutely took the life out of the team and the crowd, you got the sense that they knew they were cooked. Huska played really well yesterday but I can't help but think what a difference a couple skilled finishers (or at least someone to hit the net) would have made on the scoreboard.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        I like Maine football but theyre 55-50 the last 10 years. Which is good for them but theyre like 1-10 against UNH and they arent a .700 team
        Sorry, I should have said 58-44 ( .568 ) vs. FCS competition from 2007-2016, inclusive. ( Couldn't read my own writing. ) From 2011-2016 they went 24-17 while hockey went 52-84-25. Nothing to write home about either way, but certainly football has been more competitive than hockey.

Comment

Something I've consistently been noticing about the team is they are awful at finding pucks in tight, like during a scramble they can never keep track of the puck, and it results in lost chances in their offensive end and goals against in the defensive end. I'm not sure what the fix is but I think it's something to be wary of going forward.

Comment

The breakout was good on friday, passes behind the players on Saturday . They won faceoffs on Friday, not so much on Saturday. Swayman didn't control rebounds, Huska did. They are what we thought they were, bottom tier in HE. They are high on Swayman, didn't really see why last night, hopefully that comes out as season goes on. More depth but still little offense. Tralmaks had a breakaway early, muffed it but he looks good. Not sure about Matti the Dman, Keeper is my pick to score some point from the blue line. Holway? hurt or in the doghouse? I heard doghouse but who knows? It seems elbowing is the darling call early in the season.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              The breakout was good on friday, passes behind the players on Saturday . They won faceoffs on Friday, not so much on Saturday. Swayman didn't control rebounds, Huska did. They are what we thought they were, bottom tier in HE. They are high on Swayman, didn't really see why last night, hopefully that comes out as season goes on. More depth but still little offense. Tralmaks had a breakaway early, muffed it but he looks good. Not sure about Matti the Dman, Keeper is my pick to score some point from the blue line. Holway? hurt or in the doghouse? I heard doghouse but who knows? It seems elbowing is the darling call early in the season.
              One game in, don't give up on Swayman, he got a good lesson and bet he learns from it...too many senseless penalty's in the offensive end and center ice, it seems they never learn, same old/ same old on that. Still with-holding judgement till after 10 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                One game in, don't give up on Swayman, s.
                Didn't say I would, but he wasn't great last night thats for sure. I heard he has great potential and I hope we see it. I hope they continue with rotation

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Didn't say I would, but he wasn't great last night thats for sure. I heard he has great potential and I hope we see it. I hope they continue with rotation
                  Yes I know...and as you say, hoping they continue a rotation...and as I said above...I bet he {Swayman} got a lesson and one he didn't like in terms of losing & the 4th goal after MAINE had scored. Hoping he uses it in terms of a positive approach...sometimes you have to fall down and learn the hard way.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    That breakout/faceoff stuff is a concern.
                    Once Cav got a look at adjusted stuff for Game 2 it was curtains? Hopefully thats not a sign of whats to come

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Hockey isn't the finished article but the potential is there. The freshmen and sophomore classes are good and even better classes are on the way. Maine needs to hold on the first couple of months and then will have a lot of winnable games.
                      I didn't see much potential. Looks like the usual batch of Red recruits to me.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                        That breakout/faceoff stuff is a concern.
                        Once Cav got a look at adjusted stuff for Game 2 it was curtains? Hopefully thats not a sign of whats to come
                        The thing that concerns me as they looked just like last years team Saturday night.

They got picked last in HE for a reason. I think they are faster top to bottom which will help but they have to win 1 goal games to be successful. I think the preseason picks are going to be close if not right on. Maine isn't better than UConn so there is one team thats going to be ahead of them in the end.

Comment

Maybe because they scored on every PP it seemed like more At least Maine Hockey didn't get shut out
                          Like some teams we know 😉
                          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Like some teams we know ��
                            Losing at hockey 5-1 at home to a fellow bottom-feeder vs. losing 31-0 to a quality football team on the road is pretty-much the same thing, but enjoy...

Will you all be delighted when Maine doesn't have a single respectable program? ( Yeah, I know, Maine doesn't really have one now. )
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-09-2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Will you all be delighted when Maine doesn't have a single respectable program? ( Yeah, I know, Maine doesn't really have one now. )
                              Without funding its inevitable. Maine can't compete in all sports. Football is a money pit.

Comment

Without funding its inevitable. Maine can't compete in all sports. Football is a money pit.
                                Is it? I know football costs a lot but it disappears does all that money fund a hockey program with a 500k coach and Minnesota travel budget? Or does it disappear into the aether? I'm betting No. 2

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X