Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

The Black hole is a black sieve
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Maine should take a few more penalties

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Maine should take a few more penalties
        Penalties killing Maine

Comment

Maine is totally getting hosed by the officials at Fenway.

On a better note....the women's basketball team crushed Harvard 76-51....which doesn't even seem possible after last night.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
            Maine is totally getting hosed by the officials at Fenway.

On a better note....the women's basketball team crushed Harvard 76-51....which doesn't even seem possible after last night.
            Mostly they have hosed themselves. Must 125 yards in penalties now. Pathetic

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

To all go over to nhl.com ---- I don't know how to put the so called link up but has a story on Paul Karyia and a Cancer survivor.

Comment

Congrats to the Women's team, winners on Sunday in overtime: Maine 4 UConn 3 ... Maine now @ 8-5-1

Comment

The Black hole is a black sieve
                  Not sure, are you referring to football as the Black Sieve..?

If so, let's just go ahead and cancel that program, and redirect the money to hockey, which is the real Black Hole vis-a-vis Maine sports... Right?

Football just lost to an FBS team, in a "home" game in Boston, sure... But that team has many promising young players, unlike hockey, which has been stalled at the bottom of D-1 for years now, and shows no realistic signs of improving. I expect football to be very competitive in the best FCS conference in the the country next season, and I expect hockey to keep on being an embarrassment in what appears to be a very weak conference.

I'm kinda appreciating AMC's logic now. Maine shows no sign whatsoever of getting very good at any sport (aside from field hockey, more or less ) , and going D-3 across the board might be a very good idea. Especially for hockey. (I think football could still play in the FCS in that case.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    Not sure, are you referring to football as the Black Sieve..?

If so, let's just go ahead and cancel that program, and redirect the money to hockey, which is the real Black Hole vis-a-vis Maine sports... Right?

Football just lost to an FBS team, in a "home" game in Boston, sure... But that team has many promising young players, unlike hockey, which has been stalled at the bottom of D-1 for years now, and shows no realistic signs of improving. I expect football to be very competitive in the best FCS conference in the the country next season, and I expect hockey to keep on being an embarrassment in what appears to be a very weak conference.

I'm kinda appreciating AMC's logic now. Maine shows no sign whatsoever of getting very good at any sport (aside from field hockey, more or less ) , and going D-3 across the board might be a very good idea. Especially for hockey. (I think football could still play in the FCS in that case.)
                    If they went d3 the football might be able to beat husson

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      going D-3 across the board might be a very good idea. Especially for hockey. (I think football could still play in the FCS in that case.)
                      I don't think athletics at Maine are in that dire of straits.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                        I don't think athletics at Maine are in that dire of straits.
                        To an accountant, I think with the fiscal crisis looming in a couple years the $15M the school spends annually to support athletics (a number which has more than doubled in a decade) looks like a juicy line item on a spreadsheet.

Comment

If they went d3 the football might be able to beat husson

And hockey might give USM a game...

Same difference, but football is better in relative terms. No doubt about that right now.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-12-2017, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            To an accountant, I think with the fiscal crisis looming in a couple years the $15M the school spends annually to support athletics (a number which has more than doubled in a decade) looks like a juicy line item on a spreadsheet.
                            I agree, Dale Lick isn't around to save the Athletic dept. I would have cut Football years ago, in reality everything else will go before football if the Alumni assocation has anything to say about it. If athletics is important to academics then D3 still gives students a chance to compete in college. I've harped on this a lot but you have to look at how rural this state is, roads bridges etc are in disrepair and there is no money to repair. Draw a boundary line just north above coastal Rte 1 and thats the viable area of this state now. The rest might as well revert back to woods. I wish this wasn't so but my business takes me all over this state and has for 30 years. I've seen the changes first hand, both to my business and to the state
                            Last edited by walrus; 11-13-2017, 04:45 AM.

Comment

I agree, Dale Lick isn't around to save the Athletic dept. I would have cut Football years ago, in reality everything else will go before football if the Alumni assocation has anything to say about it. If athletics is important to academics then D3 still gives students a chance to compete in college. I've harped on this a lot but you have to look at how rural this state is, roads bridges etc are in disrepair and there is no money to repair. Draw a boundary line just north above coastal Rte 1 and thats the viable area of this state now. The rest might as well revert back to woods. I wish this wasn't so but my business takes me all over this state and has for 30 years. I've seen the changes first hand, both to my business and to the state
                              The boundary line is more like East of I-95 until you hit Waterville than South of a straight line drawn over to Ellsworth.

Maine's athletic expenses total almost 21 million which is only about 200K more than Vermont which doesn't have football. Is Vermont an urban state with a big population & a lot of money? And UNH expenses total 29 million....still think Maine is so bad off?

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
                              Last edited by umhockey91; 11-13-2017, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                                The boundary line is more like East of I-95 until you hit Waterville than South of a straight line drawn over to Ellsworth.
                                I won't disagree with that. Their is housing pressure east of Ellsworth but no real business that isn't seasonal. Fishing is still huge though.

Comment

Working...
                                X