Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Decent internet? Hahahahaha Hahahaha

That's a good one.
    ...And that's a huge deal. Unlimited internet access is a necessity these days, not a "privilege".

Maine, and all the rural areas in the U.S., have to get that done. Otherwise, who can possibly make a professional go of it here, when we can't rely on that basic tool to check-in with work, and what-not?

Don't get me wrong, not knocking Maine... I have recently moved back into the woods and back into the Stone Age right here in New York. But GD, if you don't have workable cell-service or internet, you're pretty-well screwed in our society.

That should be the very first priority of the Trump regime, unless he likes having a bunch of rednecks in the dark. (Oh, wait... that's who elected him, sorry!)

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      Taxes are like 100th on the list of reasons young people choose to live places. Look at the list of places with the most young professionals and they are all blue state big cities with high tax burdens. People looking to stretch their legs from living in Boston move to Portland because they can still enjoy "big city lite" cuisine and entertainment, and it is a lot cheaper and slower paced.

You can buy a house in Millinocket for 46 cents and a smile. I don't see urban professionals beating down that door.

Medicare expansion keeping young people away? Look at the age/education spread from any election or poll. Those under 40 with college degrees overwhelmingly support Democrats, overwhelmingly support universal healthcare, and overwhelmingly support policies that aren't "LET'S CUT TAXES!!!!!" Those who make "DON'T EXPAND MEDICARE" a big thing skew as white males, over-40 and lacking a degree. Not exactly high growth demographics for rural Maine. We've got that guy in spades Downeast and up north.
      Well, yeah.

Trump appealed to the redneck-fringe, but he caught lightning in a bottle on that one. I don't see it happening again.

(Nice post, BTW.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        ...And that's a huge deal. Unlimited internet access is a necessity these days, not a "privilege".

Maine, and all the rural areas in the U.S., have to get that done. Otherwise, who can possibly make a professional go of it here, when we can't rely on that basic tool to check-in with work, and what-not?

Don't get me wrong, not knocking Maine... I have recently moved back into the woods and back into the Stone Age right here in New York. But GD, if you don't have workable cell-service or internet, you're pretty-well screwed in our society.

That should be the very first priority of the Trump regime, unless he likes having a bunch of rednecks in the dark. (Oh, wait... that's who elected him, sorry!)
        The gamers I watch from England and Holland have nice big 75-100Mbps pipes and pay less for it than the piddling 15Mbps (usually closer to 10) I get. They feel such pity for Americans (for more than just our internet). I tried streaming on Twitch and YouTube but my internet can't handle it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          The gamers I watch from England and Holland have nice big 75-100Mbps pipes and pay less for it than the piddling 15Mbps (usually closer to 10) I get. They feel such pity for Americans (for more than just our internet). I tried streaming on Twitch and YouTube but my internet can't handle it.
          Let's face it...in many ways the U.S. is the Third World of "civilized" countries. It's what you get when the 1% run the show and hoard everything for themselves.

Comment

Probably should keep politics out of here.

Maine has a fiber line setup in a 3 ring binder. But only a few places have fiber into the home. Orono and Old Town have it, Rockport has it. Spectrum just did copper down my road, fiber is within 3 miles of me but no chance of getting it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              That I agree with.

My initial point re: Maine shouldn't be in D-I boiled down to me missing winning. And it seems like the answer to "how can Maine win?" in pretty much all sports is "find a miracle worker coach." Getting lucky shouldn't be a long term plan, and if it is the only feasible plan, you have structural issues that perhaps demonstrate you are out of your depth.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                That I agree with.

My initial point re: Maine shouldn't be in D-I boiled down to me missing winning. And it seems like the answer to "how can Maine win?" in pretty much all sports is "find a miracle worker coach." Getting lucky shouldn't be a long term plan, and if it is the only feasible plan, you have structural issues that perhaps demonstrate you are out of your depth.
                I'm not sure "lucky" is the only way. I think they blew it in 2002( i know hindsight but I was saying it on here then also) when Tyler didn't do what their own "rules" said they should do. Thats a national search. if Tim was the best guy after that, then hire away. At that point I'm thinking lots of folks were interested in the job. At this point the losing has caused Alfond to be a shell of its former self. No corporate money and no sell outs.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post

Maine has a fiber line setup in a 3 ring binder. But only a few places have fiber into the home. Orono and Old Town have it, Rockport has it. Spectrum just did copper down my road, fiber is within 3 miles of me but no chance of getting it.

I hear you, brother....

We are within a half-mile of the the Spectrum cable, and we called them to b**** and moan. They said to pass the hat around the "neighborhood" and raise like 90K to string it the extra few feet.. That'll work, right?

We have to drive back to town to stream a Maine game at my ex's. She's an angel for allowing that, but no d*** wonder half the Red States have no idea what's going on, since they have no real access to all the information that's out there.

I hear you that this isn't supposed be about politics here, but politics -especially dumb politics- even mess with our access to hockey, FCS.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-14-2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Congrats on your former player Paul Kariya's induction into the HOF!!

https://www.nhl.com/news/highlights-...?tid=283496592
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      I hear you, brother....

We are within a half-mile of the the Spectrum cable, and we called them to b**** and moan. They said to pass the hat around the "neighborhood" and raise like 90K to string it the extra few feet.. That'll work, right?
                      $90K for a half mile of fiber? That would be considered a bargain in 2000

Who are your options for alternatives to Spectrum? Hahahahaha. Sorry.

That's the thing driving internet in other countries. One guy I follow on Twitch has 13 choices for broadband access so they keep getting faster connections, better service and lower prices. Here the cable company tells us to bend over and will make us pay for the benefit of some Vaseline.

Comment

I had several choices none of which were better or cheaper than spectrum. I'm shocked wireless hasn't become a bigger deal, other than cell service. There are 2 wireless internet providers around me. One I had for years was way better than satellite service but could barely stream anything. The other, Red zone wireless has had some issues and there big push to cover the state has slowed to a crawl. I don't believe they have expanded at all this year.
                        I'm grateful Spectrum finally came done my road. That's sad

Comment

Just an FYI that parking might be a bit crazy on Friday with the Class C Football State Title game also scheduled for a 7pm start next door at the stadium. MCI fans tend to travel well regardless of the game location, not sure about Cape Elizabeth but worth pointing out especially with BU coming to town. Tough call for me since I went to MCI and coached a handful of the senior class in local Little League All-Stars when they were much younger. Still nice to see them get to a fourth straight state title game. Shame there is no re-entry at the Alfond so I could go back-and-forth between the two...

Comment

Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
                            Just an FYI that parking might be a bit crazy on Friday with the Class C Football State Title game also scheduled for a 7pm start next door at the stadium. MCI fans tend to travel well regardless of the game location, not sure about Cape Elizabeth but worth pointing out especially with BU coming to town. Tough call for me since I went to MCI and coached a handful of the senior class in local Little League All-Stars when they were much younger. Still nice to see them get to a fourth straight state title game. Shame there is no re-entry at the Alfond so I could go back-and-forth between the two...
                            I'd go watch the kids if I were you. Plenty more hockey games

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              $90K for a half mile of fiber? That would be considered a bargain in 2000

Who are your options for alternatives to Spectrum? Hahahahaha. Sorry.

That's the thing driving internet in other countries. One guy I follow on Twitch has 13 choices for broadband access so they keep getting faster connections, better service and lower prices. Here the cable company tells us to bend over and will make us pay for the benefit of some Vaseline.
                              Hell, the Vaseline would be the less painful option, anyway, and a lot cheaper.

If you want to experience being dry- f#%ked, sign-up with Dish. Their agent sold me a package that included NESN, but neglected to mention that every Sox game was blacked-out where I live via NESN, because I'm only 5 hours away from Fenway...? Well, why in God's name would I pay for NESN if I couldn't watch the Sox?!?

I'll live to be 500 before I deal with them again. As much as I hated Time-Warner/Spectrum, Dish is light-years worse.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-15-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                Hell, the Vaseline would be the less painful option, anyway, and a lot cheaper.

If you want to experience being dry- f#%ked, sign-up with Dish. Their agent sold me a package that included NESN, but neglected to mention that every Sox game was blacked-out where I live via NESN, because I'm only 5 hours away from Fenway...? Well, why in God's name would I pay for NESN if I couldn't watch the Sox?!?

I'll live to be 500 before I deal with them again. As much as I hated Time-Warner/Spectrum, Dish is light-years worse.
                                Come on, you thought the red Sox would be the team available in NY on dish? Gee I can't watch the Yankees here either. Blackouts happen on every cable or dish service

Comment

Working...
                                X