Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
    The boundary line is more like East of I-95 until you hit Waterville than South of a straight line drawn over to Ellsworth.

Maine's athletic expenses total almost 21 million which is only about 200K more than Vermont which doesn't have football. Is Vermont an urban state with a big population & a lot of money? And UNH expenses total 29 million....still think Maine is so bad off?

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
    That's total expenditures. Of that total the school subsidizes about $14.2M (on a phone so can't check the link for exact figures)

Comment

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

D3 sports would kill the school. Its foolish to discuss. Outside the Dakotas is there a major state school in D3 in the country? Any land grant schools?

What student is going to give up the college feel that sports provides? Bc the academics at Maine arent going to bring in the kids who don't care. Not to mention the marketing.

Dont know why this keeps coming up. Its not ever happening.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        D3 sports would kill the school. Its foolish to discuss. Outside the Dakotas is there a major state school in D3 in the country? Any land grant schools?

What student is going to give up the college feel that sports provides? Bc the academics at Maine arent going to bring in the kids who don't care. Not to mention the marketing.

Dont know why this keeps coming up. Its not ever happening.
        I think D-2 is the play. Still have scholarships, but fewer. Maine produces a lot of D-2 talent in basketball (M&W), baseball, etc. Can play D-I hockey still, as there is no D-2. Maine would be the "big bad" against the Merrimacks and Bentleys of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          I think D-2 is the play. Still have scholarships, but fewer. Maine produces a lot of D-2 talent in basketball (M&W), baseball, etc. Can play D-I hockey still, as there is no D-2. Maine would be the "big bad" against the Merrimacks and Bentleys of the world.
          Are there any similar schools that have done that? Maybe Maine could swap with a school like Bentley, Merrimack, or Southern New Hampshire.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            I won't disagree with that. Their is housing pressure east of Ellsworth but no real business that isn't seasonal. Fishing is still huge though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            Fishing has been way off this year.

The state needs to do more to attract younger educated people to the more rural parts of the state. I would give any person with a bachelor degree under 40 who will live in Hancock, Washington, or any of the interior counties 10 years with no state income tax. I think the medicare expansion will hurt a lot as far as attracting people to the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              Fishing has been way off this year.

The state needs to do more to attract younger educated people to the more rural parts of the state. I would give any person with a bachelor degree under 40 who will live in Hancock, Washington, or any of the interior counties 10 years with no state income tax. I think the medicare expansion will hurt a lot as far as attracting people to the state.
              Taxes are like 100th on the list of reasons young people choose to live places. Look at the list of places with the most young professionals and they are all blue state big cities with high tax burdens. People looking to stretch their legs from living in Boston move to Portland because they can still enjoy "big city lite" cuisine and entertainment, and it is a lot cheaper and slower paced.

You can buy a house in Millinocket for 46 cents and a smile. I don't see urban professionals beating down that door.

Medicare expansion keeping young people away? Look at the age/education spread from any election or poll. Those under 40 with college degrees overwhelmingly support Democrats, overwhelmingly support universal healthcare, and overwhelmingly support policies that aren't "LET'S CUT TAXES!!!!!" Those who make "DON'T EXPAND MEDICARE" a big thing skew as white males, over-40 and lacking a degree. Not exactly high growth demographics for rural Maine. We've got that guy in spades Downeast and up north.

Comment

Terrific post AMC!

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                  Terrific post AMC!
                  Second that. It was what I was thinking but not going to write.

Anything but D1 for UMO is just crazy talk.
                  The State can afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                    Taxes are like 100th on the list of reasons young people choose to live places. Look at the list of places with the most young professionals and they are all blue state big cities with high tax burdens. People looking to stretch their legs from living in Boston move to Portland because they can still enjoy "big city lite" cuisine and entertainment, and it is a lot cheaper and slower paced.

You can buy a house in Millinocket for 46 cents and a smile. I don't see urban professionals beating down that door.

Medicare expansion keeping young people away? Look at the age/education spread from any election or poll. Those under 40 with college degrees overwhelmingly support Democrats, overwhelmingly support universal healthcare, and overwhelmingly support policies that aren't "LET'S CUT TAXES!!!!!" Those who make "DON'T EXPAND MEDICARE" a big thing skew as white males, over-40 and lacking a degree. Not exactly high growth demographics for rural Maine. We've got that guy in spades Downeast and up north.
                    The tax idea might be far from perfect, but what else can the state really do? I think as millennials get into their 30's and are ready to start a family taxes do start to matter. These are the folks we should be trying to attract. Maine has a lot to offer and you can be reasonably assured that even if the economy tanks you are not going to lose your house or anything like that. I'd much rather have a $200K mortgage in a bad economy than a $600K mortgage.

Do you have any ideas to turn things around?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                      Second that. It was what I was thinking but not going to write.

Anything but D1 for UMO is just crazy talk.
                      The State can afford it.
                      Agreed. The only way I could see it is if the whole conference decided to drop down or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        The tax idea might be far from perfect, but what else can the state really do? I think as millennials get into their 30's and are ready to start a family taxes do start to matter. These are the folks we should be trying to attract. Maine has a lot to offer and you can be reasonably assured that even if the economy tanks you are not going to lose your house or anything like that. I'd much rather have a $200K mortgage in a bad economy than a $600K mortgage.

Do you have any ideas to turn things around?
                        It's great to want college educated folks to move to let's just say Millinocket. What good is a tax break if they cant make a living? Taxing zero is a losing situation.

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          It's great to want college educated folks to move to let's just say Millinocket. What good is a tax break if they cant make a living? Taxing zero is a losing situation.

Maybe get some of the work from home crowd? Maine would be a good place for them(at least in places where there is decent internet.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Maybe get some of the work from home crowd? Maine would be a good place for them(at least in places where there is decent internet.)
                            Decent internet? Hahahahaha Hahahaha

That's a good one.

Comment

"A lot of people have asked me over the years how I ended up in Orono. I went to be a student-athlete. I went to learn from Red Gendron and the late Shawn Walsh…and most of all, Grant Standbrook."
                              -Paul Kariya

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                "A lot of people have asked me over the years how I ended up in Orono. I went to be a student-athlete. I went to learn from Red Gendron and the late Shawn Walsh…and most of all, Grant Standbrook."
                                -Paul Kariya
                                Good to see Kariya coming out of hibernation & even throwing out some support for Gendron. Classy & what you would expect from an alum that still cares about the program. 🏒

Comment

Working...
                                X