Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
    UConn will out coach Maine today, make adjustments and pick on the weak spots.
    Good call. Cavanaugh will out coach Gendron in most games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      Good call. Cavanaugh will out coach Gendron in most games.
      Cav is my choice for the next Maine coach. 2018/2019

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
        Cav is my choice for the next Maine coach. 2018/2019
        He was my choice back when Gendron was hired. Probably won't be able to get him away from Connecticut now.

Comment

Maine took too many penalties once again. They dominated at times but couldn't get it past the goalie, just like the past 5 years. They are deeper but they are still bottom tier team.
          Talking to folks at the game, they think swayman is a savior, I guess grant has been working with him? He wasn't awful except on 4th goal.
          Going to be a long season

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Maine took too many penalties once again. They dominated at times but couldn't get it past the goalie, just like the past 5 years. They are deeper but they are still bottom tier team.
            Talking to folks at the game, they think swayman is a savior, I guess grant has been working with him? He wasn't awful except on 4th goal.
            Going to be a long season

Didn't Uconn have only three PP's? I thought Swayman was really good as far as making saves but his positioning needs work. He comes way too far out and then the other team has an empty net on the rebound. I'm happy enough with a split, but there definitely is work to be done. Where is Holesinsky?
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              Didn't Uconn have only three PP's? I thought Swayman was really good as far as making saves but his positioning needs work. He comes way too far out and then the other team has an empty net on the rebound. I'm happy enough with a split, but there definitely is work to be done. Where is Holesinsky?
              Maybe because they scored on every PP it seemed like more At least Maine Hockey didn't get shut out

Comment

Actual attendance might have been 2500 today. No noise at all

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Actual attendance might have been 2500 today. No noise at all
                  Did they change how they count it or something? It seems like it always is around 4K but both games this weekend were 3K. They need to discount the more expensive seats. Maybe just have one price for all seats.

Comment

Maybe because they scored on every PP it seemed like more At least Maine Hockey didn't get shut out
                    And Maine gave up a short handed goal. Attendance listed at 3109. Maine's football post season chances are probably over.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      And Maine gave up a short handed goal. Attendance listed at 3109. Maine's football post season chances are probably over.
                      C'mon the football team beat D3 school Bryant, they are the flagship program at UMaine

Comment

Hopefully they play as the football team

Tapatalk this: Maine football is 99-38 vs. FCS competition in the past 10 years ( .772 WP ) with 3 NCAA appearances, while hockey is 175.5-206.5 factoring-in the ties (.459 WP) with a single NCAA one-and-done game in 2011.

While I root for every single Maine sport every single day, this hockey program we have is an ongoing disaster for so long that I have lost any expectation of a turnaround anytime soon. I have no interest in pitting one program against another, but call a spade a spade. Football isn't going anywhere this year, but hockey sure as Hell isn't either.

( I've actually been spending my travel-budget on field hockey these past few years, but I'll go to Albany to watch football in a couple of weeks anyway, and to RPI to watch Maine try to beat one of the other worst teams out there... Good thing that the Albany/Troy area boasts an ocean of quality microbrews. )
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-07-2017, 07:46 PM.

Comment

It's probably the kickers fault or something.
                          ( See below... But your comment was funny, anyway! )

Comment

I like Maine football but theyre 55-50 the last 10 years. Which is good for them but theyre like 1-10 against UNH and they arent a .700 team

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                              I like Maine football but theyre 55-50 the last 10 years. Which is good for them but theyre like 1-10 against UNH and they arent a .700 team
                              Their best teams were around the turn of the century. I believe one team made it to the quarters or semis of 1AA tourney. It's hard for me to get excited about a team that is in the second tier and that plays a lot of no name schools. And as you correctly point out its not that Maine is that great. A little over .500 but not much else.

Hockey isn't the finished article but the potential is there. The freshmen and sophomore classes are good and even better classes are on the way. Maine needs to hold on the first couple of months and then will have a lot of winnable games.

Comment

Where is Holesinsky?
                                He was on crutches this weekend. Not sure what happened or what the extent of the injury is though.

Comment

Working...
                                X