Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018 season, is this Reds last stand?

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Womens BBall?
    Seeing as they got waxed by D-II Stonehill, no.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      Seeing as they got waxed by D-II Stonehill, no.
      Saw that. Not encouraging.

It's all about field hockey and football right now, my brothers!

Or, does Maine have a curling team..???

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Saw that. Not encouraging.

It's all about field hockey and football right now, my brothers!

Or, does Maine have a curling team..???
        You mean it's all about field hockey. Football is done, Fore

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

You mean it's all about field hockey. Football is done, Fore

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          Too harsh, Wally. Football has a real shot at not having a losing season, which is pretty good by Maine's recent standards.

Comment

Too harsh, Wally. Football has a real shot at not having a losing season, which is pretty good by Maine's recent standards.
            I've watched them play a few times, they have beaten the teams they should have and lost to every team thats good. I guess at this point finishing .500 is ok but I doubt its a goal of the program. The coach has already said they are out of the playoffs and its his job to keep their heads in the game. I know nothing about UMass but I believe they went FBS? so a win against them at Fenway would be great. They have some good players but not enough of them. Unless the QB play gets better by next season they won't play for anything next year either. He has improved over the course of this season.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
              I've watched them play a few times, they have beaten the teams they should have and lost to every team thats good. I guess at this point finishing .500 is ok but I doubt its a goal of the program. The coach has already said they are out of the playoffs and its his job to keep their heads in the game. I know nothing about UMass but I believe they went FBS? so a win against them at Fenway would be great. They have some good players but not enough of them. Unless the QB play gets better by next season they won't play for anything next year either. He has improved over the course of this season.
              Went to the UNH/Maine game in Durham. Your QB was very good. Big, strong and could throw the ball. UNH went on to win the game 24-23 but it could easily have gone the other way!
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                Went to the UNH/Maine game in Durham. Your QB was very good. Big, strong and could throw the ball. UNH went on to win the game 24-23 but it could easily have gone the other way!
                But it didn't Blanche!

Men's hockey has a chance to have the best season of any UM team! Seriously...they bottomed out last season. I just hope that they continue to develop & improve. Red has not demonstrated that his teams improve over the course of a season....that is the biggest bugaboo IMO. Their talent level can compete with HE teams on most nights.

Comment

I've watched them play a few times, they have beaten the teams they should have and lost to every team thats good. I guess at this point finishing .500 is ok but I doubt its a goal of the program.
                  I think it is the goal of the program, if the athletic department is going to make them play two body-bag FBS games per year. Being basically 0-2 before a ball is kicked means they have to pretty much go at least 7-2 in games against FCS teams every year to even be in the playoff discussion. 8-1 may be more realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                    Men's hockey has a chance to have the best season of any UM team! Seriously...they bottomed out last season. I just hope that they continue to develop & improve. Red has not demonstrated that his teams improve over the course of a season....that is the biggest bugaboo IMO. Their talent level can compete with HE teams on most nights.
                    My money is still on women's puck. 7-5 against a harder schedule than they usually play, 12th in KRACH, 13th in pairwise, 2-3 against ranked teams.

Men are 3-5, 49th in KRACH, 52nd in pairwise, 0-2 against ranked teams.

Comment

Have to agree, in general... But the D-line is pretty good, the D-backs too, and Ferguson is showing signs of being a real force. I'm definitely not counting Maine out as far as contending for an NCAA berth next year. Might spend more time traveling to see football next year, and less time barking up the wrong tree spending money to watch *another* Maine sport.

Comment

I think it is the goal of the program, if the athletic department is going to make them play two body-bag FBS games per year. Being basically 0-2 before a ball is kicked means they have to pretty much go at least 7-2 in games against FCS teams every year to even be in the playoff discussion. 8-1 may be more realistic.
                        I get you. But the payday pursuant to getting pile-driven by an FBS team is important to the bottom-line of FCS schools... And Maine beat FBS Mississippi State on the road just a few years ago !

I read that the going rate to be a sacrificial lamb to FBS schools is often around a half-mil. So, two such beat-downs taken by football goes a long way to offset money-losing sports, of which Maine has plenty, no doubt.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-09-2017, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I get you. But the payday pursuant to getting pile-driven by an FBS team is important to the bottom-line of FCS schools... And Maine beat FBS Mississippi State on the road just a few years ago !

I read that the going rate to be a sacrificial lamb to FBS schools is often around a half-mil. So, two such beat-downs taken by football goes a long way to offset money-losing sports, of which Maine has plenty, no doubt.
                          Most FCS schools only play one, which has the side benefit of not backing them into a corner come playoff time. The typical FCS school that plays one FBS school can then go on and go 8-2 or 7-3 in games in their division, which is the equivalent of being a top 20 FCS team.

Maine has to go at least 7-2. Maybe 8-1 if there is a strong at large contingent. That's top 5-10 in the country. If Maine is one of the 15-20 best teams in the country, they will have an extra loss and will get passed over. They are scheduling themselves out of the playoffs, unless they are one of the two best teams in the CAA, in which case they might get the auto bid.

I understand the money piece (I am the one arguing that Maine shouldn't expect much because we are broke), but the solution isn't throwing in the towel on seasons for a team the athletic department wants to push as one of its golden gooses before they even start. The solution is probably no longer paying for the baseball team to spend the entire spring semester in Texas and Florida.

Comment

Most FCS schools only play one, which has the side benefit of not backing them into a corner come playoff time. The typical FCS school that plays one FBS school can then go on and go 8-2 or 7-3 in games in their division, which is the equivalent of being a top 20 FCS team.

Maine has to go at least 7-2. Maybe 8-1 if there is a strong at large contingent. That's top 5-10 in the country. If Maine is one of the 15-20 best teams in the country, they will have an extra loss and will get passed over. They are scheduling themselves out of the playoffs, unless they are one of the two best teams in the CAA, in which case they might get the auto bid.

I understand the money piece (I am the one arguing that Maine shouldn't expect much because we are broke), but the solution isn't throwing in the towel on seasons for a team the athletic department wants to push as one of its golden gooses before they even start. The solution is probably no longer paying for the baseball team to spend the entire spring semester in Texas and Florida.
                            On baseball...looks like they are starting to schedule differently as well. They are definitely getting paid to play at Texas Tech, Miami, & Mew Mexico State....and probably the other Texas schools on the schedule as well. The Ohio series in Atlanta is probably the only away games that aren't subsidized this season.

On football....the bigger problem than playing 2 FBS opponents is that they no longer have any home games in September. this season had one home game between the start of the season and their second home game on Oct.14. That is completely ridiculous. They lucked out with the weather this season but it won't be like that every year. From a pure financial standpoint it might all make sense, but if they continue to marginalize the football program home schedule they will quickly find out that fans will start finding other things to do on Saturdays in the fall.

I noticed that men's basketball is playing 6 guarantee games this season and getting paid $450K for those games! It makes sense for that program right now because they can't draw flies & if they are going to lose then they may as well lose playing on the road vs. good programs.

And by the way.....did anyone notice that UMass destroyed Providence 5-2 last night?!?!? I'm telling you....HE is ripe for the picking this year!

Comment

The umass win, likely the Carvel and makar factor? Carvel will have them in playing shape.

Hockey east basement now has less competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                                Hockey east basement now has less competition.
                                You're right, Lowell seems to have it on lockdown to this point in the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X