UAH Hockey 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
    Trolls aside, UAH must boost support and attendance or risk stagnation.
    https://uahhockey.com/blog/2018/03/2...ogram-support/
    I appreciated this article. A lot of it could be applied to UAF, and probably at least two other schools in the league.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      While I agree, part of the problem with that is you can’t realistically fly a whole hockey team into any one of those places, especially on short notice. Unless you charter, and I don’t see that happening.

So, depending on your destination you are looking at flying into Minneapolis or Detroit, which may very well involve a connection from Huntsville (or Duluth or Green Bay, which would definitely be an extra connection), or a bus ride to Atlanta. And at minimum a 5-ish hour or longer bus ride to the UP or Bemidji.

Suddenly, that long-*** bus ride from Huntsville doesn’t sound nearly as terrible. A better solution, at least from a hockey perspective, would be to get to the destination more than 24 hours before the puck drops.

I have said this for a long time, and I know you disagree...travel to the UP is almost as much of a pain as flying to Alaska for a good chunk of the league. At least with Fairbanks and Anchorage, once you’re there then you’re there. No long bus rides.
      But you can fly into Green Bay. Milwaukee too. And when you’re making regular season trips, there is plenty of time to make those arrangements. From Huntsville, flying out of Nashville is only 1 1/2 hours away, same with Birmingham, which give you many more options. Green Bay is 3 hours from Marquette, Less than 4 to Houghton.

Flight time, Nashville to Green Bay, 3hr 37 min. Thrown in the bus rides and airport time and you’re looking at 11 hours.

Travel to Marquette by bus: Mankato & Bowling Green 9 hrs, Bemidji 7 hours, Ferris 6 hours. Only for Mankato is travel to Anchorage anywhere near close and only if the get the direct MSP-ANC flight. From Mankato to Fairbanks, it’s a minimum of 16 hours of travel.
      Last edited by davyd83; 03-27-2018, 09:41 PM.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        But you can fly into Green Bay. Milwaukee too. And when you’re making regular season trips, there is plenty of time to make those arrangements. From Huntsville, flying out of Nashville is only 1 1/2 hours away, same with Birmingham, which give you many more options. Green Bay is 3 hours from Marquette, Less than 4 to Houghton.

Flight time, Nashville to Green Bay, 3hr 37 min. Thrown in the bus rides and airport time and you’re looking at 11 hours.

Travel to Marquette by bus: Mankato & Bowling Green 9 hrs, Bemidji 7 hours, Ferris 6 hours. Only for Mankato is travel to Anchorage anywhere near close and only if the get the direct MSP-ANC flight. From Mankato to Fairbanks, it’s a minimum of 16 hours of travel.
        Sigh.

A. I said almost.
        B. A 9 hour bus ride is still a 9 hour bus ride. As much as you constantly whine about the travel going to my school, it’s a two way street and Marquette is a pain in the *** for my team to get to.
        C. If it takes 16 hours to get from Mankato to Fairbanks, you’re doing it wrong.
        D. Perhaps NMU would like to offer a travel subsidy to visit and help pay for flights, not unlike UAH, UAF, and UAA do? No?
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Sigh.

A. I said almost.
          B. A 9 hour bus ride is still a 9 hour bus ride. As much as you constantly whine about the travel going to my school, it’s a two way street and Marquette is a pain in the *** for my team to get to.
          C. If it takes 16 hours to get from Mankato to Fairbanks, you’re doing it wrong.
          D. Perhaps NMU would like to offer a travel subsidy to visit and help pay for flights, not unlike UAH, UAF, and UAA do? No?
          The flight time from MSP to Seatte to Fairbanks is roughly 12 hours, now add the ride time from Mankato to MSP and the time time in the airport checking in, etc, and you’re around 16 hours. I’ve only made over a dozen trips to Alaska for hockey. This year will be my 11th to Fairbanks and 5th to Anchorage. I have an idea how the system works.

And the trip to Huntsville is easy. Roughly 6 1/2-71/2 hours.
          Last edited by davyd83; 03-28-2018, 10:46 AM.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            The flight time from MSP to Seatte to Fairbanks is roughly 12 hours, now add the ride time from Mankato to MSP and the time time in the airport checking in, etc, and you’re around 16 hours. I’ve only made over a dozen trips to Alaska for hockey. This year will be my 11th to Fairbanks and 5th to Anchorage. I have an idea how the system works.

And the trip to Huntsville is easy. Roughly 6 1/2-71/2 hours.
            I logged 76,000 miles on Alaska Airlines last year...I’m pretty well versed on the how to get in and out of that state. MSP-Seattle and Seattle-Fairbanks are both about 3.5 hours in the air. The only way that’s a 12 hour trip is with an extra long layover.

Agree to disagree.

Comment

I logged 76,000 miles on Alaska Airlines last year...I’m pretty well versed on the how to get in and out of that state. MSP-Seattle and Seattle-Fairbanks are both about 3.5 hours in the air. The only way that’s a 12 hour trip is with an extra long layover.

Agree to disagree.
              I was looking at today’s options from MSP-FAI, but anyway, this thread is about UAH and the fact that 20 hour bus rides are not seen as a positive recruiting tool.
              Last edited by davyd83; 03-28-2018, 08:52 PM.

Comment

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=267731

http://www.collegecommitments.com/De...7cq9=123568250
                Last edited by boblav1; 03-29-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  I was looking at today’s options from MSP-FAI, but anyway, this thread is about UAH and the fact that 20 hour bus rides are not seen as a positive recruiting tool.
                  You're not wrong, but I'm more concerned that UAH isn't doing enough to boost attendance and donors. I can't put my head in the mind of a recruit, but I would think 20-hour bus rides would be a lot more tolerable if there were good crowds and support waiting when they got back home. We could cut down on those long bus rides if we could generate more revenue.
                  Michael Napier - UAH '97
                  uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                  U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                  NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                  CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                  CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                    You're not wrong, but I'm more concerned that UAH isn't doing enough to boost attendance and donors. I can't put my head in the mind of a recruit, but I would think 20-hour bus rides would be a lot more tolerable if there were good crowds and support waiting when they got back home. We could cut down on those long bus rides if we could generate more revenue.
                    I'm not a potential recruit, but a 20 hour bus ride wouldn't be a deal breaker. IMO coaching, facilities, chance to get noticed by scouts, and University/student support could be the biggest determining factor. Academics/major, weather, and city/local culture also help.

Comment

Originally posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
                      This has to be the youngest UAH commit ever. And he may end up being the most high profile.

Flynn is 6'0 and around 160 lbs. Outside of the goalies, he's the only '02 skater on TPH's U16 squad. After putting up 67 points in 57 games last year for TPH's U14 team, he's even on OHL scouts' radars. If he can piece together a strong campaign, there's a number of people who think he could get an invite to NTDP Final 40 Camp.

A UAH commit playing for the US NTDP?! Would be insane.
                      Flynn has been drafted in the 13th round by the OHL's Erie Otters. Hopefully he sticks with us.
                      Michael Napier - UAH '97
                      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

From the Northeastern thread:

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                        Jake Theut is going to take a graduate transfer year at Alabama-Hunstville! A wonderful opportunity for Jake to pursue some graduate education and hopefully (rpobably?) get some time in net at the collegiate level. Guess I'm gonna be watching some WCHA games next season. Super happy for Jake!
                        http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=163590

Comment

Let's see whether he's studying history or aerospace engineering. I bet Dr. Wessling would keep him busier than Coach Corbett.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                            Interesting pickup. UAH needed a third goalie for next season. We currently don't have any goaltenders among our commitments.

What's funny is that he only has 74 minutes of NCAA action under his belt yet he comes in with as many shutouts as UAH has had in the last eight years (one).
                            Michael Napier - UAH '97
                            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

He's a nice way to paper over having a rising sophomore and a guy who didn't play in his first season. It beats having to find a guy in the EHL at Christmas because your backup left.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Looks like the Chargers will open the season at Miami the first weekend of October per Miami's schedule release.
                                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Working...
                                X