UAH Hockey 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

Jordan Larson transfers to Lakehead University in Ontario.
    http://www.thunderwolveshockey.com/a...018-commitment
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
      Jordan Larson transfers to Lakehead University in Ontario.
      http://www.thunderwolveshockey.com/a...018-commitment
      I hate to see anyone leave, but being from Fort Frances means that it really is a homecoming for him. You have to wonder if any homesickness was trebled by the fact that being injured saw him parked in Huntsville for much of the year.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

I wonder if the winds will bring us in a new assistant coach soon. We need another weapon in the arsenal.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

look like ya got Lance West back....

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
            look like ya got Lance West back....
            Yep. Glad to have him!
            Michael Napier - UAH '97
            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

I'm glad that Lance is back home. He will be an asset. It's obviously a unique situation.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

status : finished watching "Table 19" with Wyatt Russell as Teddy on HBO2H

Seriously, it's better than a 26%, 1-star, 4.6.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/table_19/

Comment

http://uasystem.edu/retirement-of-uah-president/

To my understanding Dr Altenkirch was key in UAH keeping/returning to D1 hockey. Will this have any impact on UAH's future? (just keep Tuscaloosa away)

Comment

"Former Mudbugs coach Karlis Zirnis joins UAF hockey coaching staff

By Brad Joyal, BJOYAL@NEWSMINER.COM 17 hrs ago (…)

FAIRBANKS — In May, Karlis Zirnis coached the Shreveport Mudbugs to a North American Hockey League Robertson Cup national championship during the team’s second season as a junior team.

This year, Zirnis will be working alongside University of Alaska Fairbanks first-year head coach Erik Largen to lead the Nanooks hockey team.

The Shreveport Times reported Thursday that Zirnis will join Largen’s staff as an assistant coach for the upcoming season. Bruce Cech, the Nanooks' play-by-play announcer, told the News-Miner that Largen confirmed the hire Thursday evening.

Zirnis, 40, is a native of Latvia who played NCAA Division I hockey at the University of Alabama Huntsville, a rival of Alaska’s in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association.

After finishing his collegiate career in 2003, Zirnis played five seasons professionally in the Central Hockey League, making stops with the Amarillo Gorillas, Colorado Eagles and Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs.

He played for the Huntsville Havoc in the Southern Professional Hockey League and served as team captain during the 2008-09 season. Zirnis’ playing career came to an end after one game during the 2009-10 slate.

Zirnis became a scout for the Amarillo Bulls — another NAHL team — and assistant coach for the TPH Thunder midget hockey association before Ted Nolan named him as an assistant coach for the Latvian national team ahead of the 2013 IIHF World Championship.

He coached Latvia at the 2014 and ’15 World Championships, as well as the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

After leading the Nashville Junior Predators, of the North American 3 Hockey League, from 2013-16, Zirnis was named the Mudbugs’ first coach when they became an NAHL expansion team before the 2016-17 season.

The former Alabama Huntsville Charger will be working with one familiar face in Fairbanks.

Gustavs Grigals, who also is a Latvia native and played goaltender for the Mudbugs last season, is committed to play his college hockey for the Nanooks.

Grigals held a 1.95 goals-against average and a .925 save percentage in 26 regular season games last season. He appeared in three playoff games for the Mudbugs, posting a 2.16 GAA and .889 save percentage.

Zirnis led the Mudbugs to a 35-19-0-6 record during his first season in Shreveport. They went 41-12-0-7 and won the South Division championship before finishing this past year with a national title.

Contact News-Miner sports writer Brad Joyal at 459-7530. Follow him on Twitter: @FDNMSportsGuy.

http://www.newsminer.com/sports/form...22e6412ea.html

Comment

I'm amused that Igor is essentially replacing Westy.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Comment

What kind of adversity are we talking about here? Of course, facing adversity is part and parcel to this program.

Corbs emailed everyone and pointed out the program is pushing towards the Oct 19/20 series for their big push with hockey alumni returning to campus — NOT Homecoming. Sadly, I will be out of town that weekend for the wedding of one of my old UAH Charger Hockey Radio partners, but I trust that it'll be a good time.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Oh, I read about how his '16-17 team went 4-53-3. Ow.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              What kind of adversity are we talking about here? Of course, facing adversity is part and parcel to this program.

Corbs emailed everyone and pointed out the program is pushing towards the Oct 19/20 series for their big push with hockey alumni returning to campus — NOT Homecoming. Sadly, I will be out of town that weekend for the wedding of one of my old UAH Charger Hockey Radio partners, but I trust that it'll be a good time.

GFM
                              Upside is that the 40th anniversary celebration and homecoming can be promoted separately. Military appreciation weekend probably would be the third weekend. Hopefully this will make for above-average crowds all three weeks instead of just one like last year.
                              Michael Napier - UAH '97
                              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                Oh, I read about how his '16-17 team went 4-53-3. Ow.

GFM
                                Yikes.

6-6?! Have we ever had a goaltender that tall?
                                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X