Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 283

Thread: UAH Hockey 2017-18

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    740

    UAH Hockey 2017-18

    This will be UAH's 33nd season of varsity hockey and 39th overall. This is the 25th season in Division I (20th since rejoining in 1998), and the fifth in the WCHA.

    The 2017-18 schedule (home games in bold):

    Oct. 6-7 at Notre Dame
    Oct. 20-21 at Michigan Tech*
    Oct. 27-28 at Cornell
    Nov. 3-4 at Arizona State
    Nov. 10-11 vs. Alaska Anchorage*
    Nov. 17-18 vs. Lake Superior State*
    Nov. 24-25 vs. Ferris State*

    Dec. 1-2 at Northern Michigan*
    Dec. 8-9 at Bowling Green*
    Dec. 15-16 at Minnesota State*
    Dec. 29-30 at Bemidji State*
    Jan. 5-6 at Alaska*
    Jan. 12-13 at Alaska Anchorage*
    Jan. 26-27 vs. Bemidji State*
    Feb. 3-4 vs. Northern Michigan*
    Feb. 9-10 vs. Minnesota State*
    Feb. 23-24 vs. Bowling Green*


    The roster: http://www.uahchargers.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey
    Additions: http://uahchargers.com/news/2017/8/2...r-2017-18.aspx

    Roster breakdown:
    Seniors: 7 (Buri, Champagne, Kestner, McHugh, Parker, Saulnier, Uhelski)
    Juniors: 7 (Dunn, Gorowsky, Gosselin, Knight, Poulsen, Teets, Wilcox)
    Sophomores: 5 (Beaulieu, James, Larson, Rappleyea, Salerno)
    Freshmen: 8 (Astorino, Dodson, Merkley, Rajic, Rotenberger, Sinclair, Wood, Wunder)

    Forwards: 15
    Defensemen: 9
    Goaltenders: 3

    Lost: 9 (Anderson, Carlson, Fletcher, Guerriero, Houcher, Marooney, Larose, Salhany, Soquila). All but Anderson and Houcher were seniors.

    Last season, the Chargers were 9-22-3 overall and 9-16-3 in the WCHA. UAH had its best conference record since joining the WCHA, but it was only good enough for 9th place and out of the playoffs.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    740

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Can we get back to double-digit wins finally? And the playoffs? I'm hoping for this again.
    Last edited by UAHStatman; 08-26-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  3. #3
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,463

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by UAHStatman View Post
    Can we get back to double-digit wins finally? And the playoffs? I'm hoping for this again.
    I suspect you will, it's kind of an interesting schedule.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    740

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I suspect you will, it's kind of an interesting schedule.
    Yes...it's a rather odd schedule. It's nice to get eight home games post college football for the stretch run, but that 12-game road swing (which includes a full week in Alaska right after going to Bemidji) is bonkers.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,429
    Quote Originally Posted by UAHStatman View Post
    Yes...it's a rather odd schedule. It's nice to get eight home games post college football for the stretch run, but that 12-game road swing (which includes a full week in Alaska right after going to Bemidji) is bonkers.
    Since it all over Christmas break, I'm guessing they bus from Bemidji to Minneapolis, stay there a couple days, then fly to Fairbanks.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    740

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Since it all over Christmas break, I'm guessing they bus from Bemidji to Minneapolis, stay there a couple days, then fly to Fairbanks.
    That would makes sense. Back in '89 and '90 the Chargers went to Wisconsin or Minnesota to play a game before going up to play four games in Alaska, but that was all in a week's stretch. Pretty sure the team has never left Huntsville and literally not return for 2 1/2 weeks before.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  7. #7
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,463

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by UAHStatman View Post
    That would makes sense. Back in '89 and '90 the Chargers went to Wisconsin or Minnesota to play a game before going up to play four games in Alaska, but that was all in a week's stretch. Pretty sure the team has never left Huntsville and literally not return for 2 1/2 weeks before.
    Maybe not but all the home games in the middle of winter has got to be good for attendance.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  8. #8
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,892

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Man, work threatens to kill my attendance on Fridays in November. We'll be running a payload 6a-10p, and I won't have my choice of off-console times.

    If you are interested in working with Michael on the site, let us know. I'm pretty much in Publisher mode at this point. I'd like to be able to carve out more time for it, but it's just not there for me anymore. Doing more with the site was partly a function of being un(der)employed for a few years; I'm the exact opposite right now.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  9. #9
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,463

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    are you all getting a return trip from ASU next season.?
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    are you all getting a return trip from ASU next season.?
    It's Huntsville. The proper term is "y'all."

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    740

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    are you all getting a return trip from ASU next season.?
    Yes -- Oct. 19-20, 2018.

    Originally ASU was to visit Huntsville this year with the teams in Tempe next, but ASU requested the swap to help their home-away balance.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  12. #12
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,463

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by UAHStatman View Post
    Yes -- Oct. 19-20, 2018.

    Originally ASU was to visit Huntsville this year with the teams in Tempe next, but ASU requested the swap to help their home-away balance.
    In my mind that series has big implications for the entire WCHA what with them playing so many teams that will be high in the rankings. good luck.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  13. #13
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,892

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    In my mind that series has big implications for the entire WCHA what with them playing so many teams that will be high in the rankings. good luck.
    We will try to not screw this up for everyone.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  14. #14
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,270

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    I need a little research help. I recently picked up a couple white jerseys from the independent era and I'm trying to figure out what years they were worn and when the memorial patch for the 2-12-10 shooting was added. From what I've found so far they appear to have been worn for sure during the 2010-11 season and 2011-12 seasons with the patch. However it appears they may have been worn during the 2009-10 season as well as I found this image without a patch. Anyone know who this goalie is? I can't make out a number or see his name on any of the goalie equipment.

    Thanks for the help,
    Ryan



    Full size: http://media.al.com/sports_impact/ph...6e7a3d7985.jpg
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    740

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I need a little research help. I recently picked up a couple white jerseys from the independent era and I'm trying to figure out what years they were worn and when the memorial patch for the 2-12-10 shooting was added. From what I've found so far they appear to have been worn for sure during the 2010-11 season and 2011-12 seasons with the patch. However it appears they may have been worn during the 2009-10 season as well as I found this image without a patch. Anyone know who this goalie is? I can't make out a number or see his name on any of the goalie equipment.

    Thanks for the help,
    Ryan

    Full size: http://media.al.com/sports_impact/ph...6e7a3d7985.jpg
    The goaltender is C.J. Groh (#32). Those were the UAH home jerseys from 2010-11 through 2012-13, and I believe the "Charge On" patch was standard issue all three seasons. Searching around I can't find any other image that didn't have the patch on this jersey.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  16. #16
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,892

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by UAHStatman View Post
    The goaltender is C.J. Groh (#32). Those were the UAH home jerseys from 2010-11 through 2012-13, and I believe the "Charge On" patch was standard issue all three seasons. Searching around I can't find any other image that didn't have the patch on this jersey.
    Concur.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  17. #17
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,270

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Thanks for the info - much appreciated.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    34,994

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Bemidji did the back to back at Alaska at the same time in 15-16. It took them 15 hrs to get there. Hope your trip is shorter.

    EDIT: crap. you're at Bemidji the weekend before. Might as well pack for a long long trip.
    Bus to MSP
    MSP to SEA
    SEA to Fairbanks
    15 hours.
    Last edited by joecct; 09-03-2017 at 09:10 PM.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    740

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Man, work threatens to kill my attendance on Fridays in November. We'll be running a payload 6a-10p, and I won't have my choice of off-console times.

    If you are interested in working with Michael on the site, let us know. I'm pretty much in Publisher mode at this point. I'd like to be able to carve out more time for it, but it's just not there for me anymore. Doing more with the site was partly a function of being un(der)employed for a few years; I'm the exact opposite right now.

    GFM
    Deets: https://uahhockey.com/blog/2017/09/0...g-for-writers/
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Windham, NH
    Posts
    6,378

    Re: UAH Hockey 2017-18

    Hockey Commitments‏*@HockeyCommits

    Ryland Mosley (Carleton Place Jr. B Canadians) has committed to University of Alabama-Huntsville for 2020-2021. @uahhockey @Ryland68

    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=300794

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •