Elmira College 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elmira College 2017-2018

I’m at each game and keep coming back win or lose. Decent crowd last night but they didn’t play well and it cost them the game. A win on Tuesday would be nice to finish the first half at .500.
    2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by smbenny View Post
      I’m at each game and keep coming back win or lose. Decent crowd last night but they didn’t play well and it cost them the game. A win on Tuesday would be nice to finish the first half at .500.
      I’ve only missed one home game in 29yrs, so I’ve seen the good and bad, lately though, too much bad and I’m not seeing any improvement.
      Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
      Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
      Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

Originally posted by jconnor View Post
        I’ve only missed one home game in 29yrs, so I’ve seen the good and bad, lately though, too much bad and I’m not seeing any improvement.
        PP and PK were bad last night. The french fries were good though!

Comment

Originally posted by jconnor View Post
          ... and I’m not seeing any improvement.
          With essentially an entirely underclassmen team, the players are making progress, especially the defensemen in the offensive zone. Now if they could only show the same improvement in the defensive zone; on the PK in particular.

On a somewhat related note ... the expansion in the number of D1 and D3 teams over the last decade has seriously diluted the talent pool. Look at the recent success of M'bury, P'burgh, Ma'ville, even some of the Wisco teams. To quote my old boss, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken excrement.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
            With essentially an entirely underclassmen team, the players are making progress, especially the defensemen in the offensive zone. Now if they could only show the same improvement in the defensive zone; on the PK in particular.

On a somewhat related note ... the expansion in the number of D1 and D3 teams over the last decade has seriously diluted the talent pool. Look at the recent success of M'bury, P'burgh, Ma'ville, even some of the Wisco teams. To quote my old boss, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken excrement.
            EC’s top line is awesome! Let’s win Tuesday and finish the first half at 500 which is a huge improvement over last year.
            Last edited by smbenny; 12-03-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I was talking to another SNC fan about this issue last week....agreed that the talent pool is getting stretched thin in recent years.
              SNC Men:
              Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
              NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
              SNC Women:
              O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                I was talking to another SNC fan about this issue last week....agreed that the talent pool is getting stretched thin in recent years.
                Look at how many teams have 3 and 4 losses already in the national poll. The parity is just unreal this year.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Border (ice) Wall

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                  ....agreed that the talent pool is getting stretched thin in recent years.
                  The other cause likely having a greater impact on D3 mediocrity was the NCAA clamp down on "foreign" aid going predominantly to Canadian hockey players. The number of foreign students on D3 rosters has dropped precipitously in the past decade. Elmira has 4 on its roster this season. Draw your own conclusions from the following data, remembering that 17-18 is a projection and that the UCHC has 3 newish teams this year.
                  Year # of Foreign Players # of Wins
                  17-18 4 *10
                  16-17 5 8
                  15-16 10 11
                  14-15 14 12
                  13-14 15 16
                  12-13 18 10
                  11-12 21 15
                  10-11 20 17
                  09-10 17 19
                  08-09 18 16
                  07-08 14 20
                  06-07 16 13

Comment

Re: Border (ice) Wall

The other cause likely having a greater impact on D3 mediocrity was the NCAA clamp down on "foreign" aid going predominantly to Canadian hockey players. The number of foreign students on D3 rosters has dropped precipitously in the past decade. Elmira has 4 on its roster this season. Draw your own conclusions from the following data, remembering that 17-18 is a projection and that the UCHC has 3 newish teams this year.
                    17-18 4 *10
                    16-17 5 8
                    15-16 10 11
                    14-15 14 12
                    13-14 15 16
                    12-13 18 10
                    11-12 21 15
                    10-11 20 17
                    09-10 17 19
                    08-09 18 16
                    07-08 14 20
                    06-07 16 13
                    I took a look at the number of foreign players on St. Norbert rosters back to our first National Championship season in 2007-08.
                    The % of foreign players held above 40% for each season until the 2013-14 season when it dropped to 37%. Next four seasons were: 39%, 18%, 25% and 30% for the current season.
                    Supports your argument...
                    SNC Men:
                    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                    SNC Women:
                    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

17-18 4 *10
                      16-17 5 8
                      15-16 10 11
                      14-15 14 12
                      13-14 15 16
                      12-13 18 10
                      11-12 21 15
                      10-11 20 17
                      09-10 17 19
                      08-09 18 16
                      07-08 14 20
                      06-07 16 13
                      Interesting stuff. Made me wonder if public schools play by the same rules...So, just for fun, I crunched a few SUNY teams' 2017 numbers.

Geneseo and Plattsburgh are composed of 35% and 37% foreign recruits, respectively. On the other end of the spectrum, Oswego has a whopping 61% total.*

Not to blow smoke up your collective framma-zamma, but many of you EC fans seem to know a thing or two about the arcane nuances of D-3 methodology... Are there two sets of rules in play here?

* To be clear,"foreign" pretty-much exclusively refers to our neighbors to the North, God bless 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        Interesting stuff. Made me wonder if public schools play by the same rules...So, just for fun, I crunched a few SUNY teams' 2017 numbers.

Geneseo and Plattsburgh are composed of 35% and 37% foreign recruits, respectively. On the other end of the spectrum, Oswego has a whopping 61% total.*

Not to blow smoke up your collective framma-zamma, but many of you EC fans seem to know a thing or two about the arcane nuances of D-3 methodology... Are there two sets of rules in play here?

* To be clear,"foreign" pretty-much exclusively refers to our neighbors to the North, God bless 'em.
                        You do realize it was mostly public schools that got nailed by the NCAA. Buffalo State, Geneseo, and Potsdam are three that come to mind. And I believe Oswego made changes around this time to avoid issues.

So, if anybody now knows how to abide by the rules, it's public schools.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          You do realize it was mostly public schools that got nailed by the NCAA. Buffalo State, Geneseo, and Potsdam are three that come to mind. And I believe Oswego made changes around this time to avoid issues.

So, if anybody now knows how to abide by the rules, it's public schools.
                          Wasn't Neumann actually punished for this sort of thing a couple of years back? I don't seem to remember any meaningful sanctions imposed on the schools you cite.

And whatever "changes" OSU made, they're 61% Canadian this year, so it hasn't seemed to have cramped their style.

Before you get your panties in (another) bunch, understand that I don't care how D-3 as a whole recruits players , as long as the field is level... I was merely wondering if there were loop-holes or what-not re: public schools. (To be fair, I just looked up Norwich, and they have a 50-50 split themselves.)

Bottom-line for me is this: you can be who you want to be as an institution. To wit, you may choose to sacrifice hockey for academics, or vice-versa, or possibly neither. But the sanctimony at the D-3 is pretty silly.

Comment

Wasn't Neumann actually punished for this sort of thing a couple of years back? I don't seem to remember any meaningful sanctions imposed on the schools you cite.

And whatever "changes" OSU made, they're 61% Canadian this year, so it hasn't seemed to have cramped their style.

Before you get your panties in (another) bunch, understand that I don't care how D-3 as a whole recruits players , as long as the field is level... I was merely wondering if there were loop-holes or what-not re: public schools. (To be fair, I just looked up Norwich, and they have a 50-50 split themselves.)

Bottom-line for me is this: you can be who you want to be as an institution. To wit, you may choose to sacrifice hockey for academics, or vice-versa, or possibly neither. But the sanctimony at the D-3 is pretty silly.
                            61 percent is a big change from what used to be more like 90 percent...
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              61 percent is a big change from what used to be more like 90 percent...
                              Yeah, didn't want to go there.

But, if you want to be a hockey power, be one, and Oswego certainly is that.

Comment

Geneseo and Plattsburgh are composed of 35% and 37% foreign recruits, respectively. On the other end of the spectrum, Oswego has a whopping 61% total.
                                In 07/08, Geneseo was 68%, Plattsburgh 56%, and Oswego 70%.

Comment

Working...
                                X