Union College: 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union College: 2017-2018

Matt Dubrey and Brian Unger are IMO the worse play by play announcers in College Sports. I muted them on the video feed and then listened to the UVM announcers who were excellent.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

My takeaway from this week's games: you cannot be a good hockey team if you can't pass.
      Between the plain bad passes, the blind passes to no one, and passes straight to your opponent, I think we've covered all the ways a pass could be bad. I'm glad we got all that out of our system, and we can start league play without all this garbage. Fix the passing and it'll be a huge leap forward.

Defense still looks a bit young and shy, lack of experience (or trust) is showing around the edges. Nothing terrible though, I think it will come.
      We are also missing a couple of finishers, who can put the puck in the net no matter what.

On the freshmen side, I'm very impressed with Kosack.
      Others who are doing well: Rinaldi, Supinski, Walker.
      Let's go Union !
      ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
      ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
      NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Matt Dubrey and Brian Unger are IMO the worse play by play announcers in College Sports. I muted them on the video feed and then listened to the UVM announcers who were excellent.
        They really don't do play by play... They talk football, throw bad puns at each other, run the ads, talk about how they don't know why the play stopped... and all of a sudden you'll hear: "Score!!"
        They are fun to listen to IMO, if you just want a noise background during play. If you're trying to follow the play by play on the radio with those two, good luck
        Let's go Union !

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
          They really don't do play by play... They talk football, throw bad puns at each other, run the ads, talk about how they don't know why the play stopped... and all of a sudden you'll hear: "Score!!"
          They are fun to listen to IMO, if you just want a noise background during play. If you're trying to follow the play by play on the radio with those two, good luck
          You are going to let the "ice side reporter" off on this one?

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey View Post
            You are going to let the "ice side reporter" off on this one?
            Oh Sam... he tries
            Let's go Union !

Comment

This year could be the year for the AHA. AirForce and Army are supposed to be very strong. Watch out for Army. The whole league lost very little from last years graduation. We will see. Teams are getting ready for league play so we should see the best of what teams have got. My guess is that Q, Harvard, Clarkson, Princeton and Cornell will lead the ECAC. We will be stronger in the second half.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Lots of goodness on the ice tonight. Player of the day for me: Hanson
                He looked very solid in net, managed to stay tall and square to the shooter, seemed very quick and quite sharp in his movements, even in scrums in front of him. An impressive game by the freshman!
                Kuddos to the whole team for a nice win, well deserved. Lots of blocked shots, lots of sacrifice on the ice, decent passing. The team looked a lot more settled. Nice to see contributions by a lot of players. Good PKs, a lot more aggressive tan we normally are (except the first PK where we just collapsed around the net as usual), I like that.

The score is a bit severe, I'm sure the RIT goalie wants at a couple back. RIT seemed a bit hesitant after an so-so start and we managed to pounce on the opportunity.

Congrats team, keep it up!!!
                Let's go Union !

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
                  Lots of goodness on the ice tonight. Player of the day for me: Hanson
                  He looked very solid in net, managed to stay tall and square to the shooter, seemed very quick and quite sharp in his movements, even in scrums in front of him. An impressive game by the freshman!
                  Kuddos to the whole team for a nice win, well deserved. Lots of blocked shots, lots of sacrifice on the ice, decent passing. The team looked a lot more settled. Nice to see contributions by a lot of players. Good PKs, a lot more aggressive tan we normally are (except the first PK where we just collapsed around the net as usual), I like that.

The score is a bit severe, I'm sure the RIT goalie wants at a couple back. RIT seemed a bit hesitant after an so-so start and we managed to pounce on the opportunity.

Congrats team, keep it up!!!
                  Look much better when they open it up.. Guess they finally figured out they are not a defense first team...

Comment

It's still way too early to make any judgement yet, but

Overall Goaltending Statistics

Name Year GA SV%

Jake Kupsky Jr 3.2677 .891
                    Darion Hanson Fr 1.0006 .960

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/stats/team/unio...#ixzz4w9JZW2sx
                    Last edited by Dutchman; 10-21-2017, 08:49 AM.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

It's still way too early to make any judgement yet, but

Overall Goaltending Statistics

Name Year GA SV%

Jake Kupsky Jr 3.2677 .891
                      Darion Hanson Fr 1.0006 .960

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/stats/team/unio...#ixzz4w9JZW2sx
                      way too early
                      Kupsky - BU, Minnesota, Mich tech, Vermont and UMass
                      Hanson - RIT

I'd say the competition level is just a BIT different..
                      he had a strong game, plays good positional goal and under control but wasn't really pressured..

Comment

While we stopped "taking on water" and "rightened the ship," we still have to "get underway" and that will be tough for the next 8 games.
                        (2) RPI has only lost 1 game and has excellent goaltending & defence.
                        (2) The North country is always tough, St. Lawrence has too much talent, pride and has played a horrendously hard schedule. They will not stay down forever. Clarkson is on a tear and a top 4 ECAC team.
                        (2) Q and Princeton are two more teams slated for top 4
                        (2) The Fighting Sioux are top 4 in the country.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

While we stopped "taking on water" and "rightened the ship," we still have to "get underway" and that will be tough for the next 8 games.
                          (2) RPI has only lost 1 game and has excellent goaltending & defence.
                          (2) The North country is always tough, St. Lawrence has too much talent, pride and has played a horrendously hard schedule. They will not stay down forever. Clarkson is on a tear and a top 4 ECAC team.
                          (2) Q and Princeton are two more teams slated for top 4
                          (2) The Fighting Sioux are top 4 in the country.
                          You know what they say .. "If you want to be the best you have to beat the best"
                          With RPI - you can throw out the records - It just doesn't matter

Comment

Hello everyone! As you may or may not have seen, vicb is not running the annual ECAC Pick the Standings contest this season. I have decided to take up the torch and run it. I know we are running on rather short notice as the season will start in just four days, but hopefully we can get a decent turnout regardless. If you'd like to participate, just head on over to the thread and submit your prediction! Thanks and good luck!
                            RPI Pep Band
                            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

It was great to see Scarfo get rewarded with four points this past weekend. At the UMass game he was one of the few with enough speed to break through the trap and is such a high energy player that is fun to watch. Also good to see a more even point distribution among the team thus far. I anticipate that we will see Hanson in goal on Friday and am hoping for a good game against the Engineers. They've pulled together an impressive record after losing a great deal of talent and experience from last year and will be tough to beat as always.
                              Let's Go Union!!

Comment

If anyone is thinking about going to the game at RPI on Saturday, the school's ticket website says only ~165 seats are left.
                                Last edited by ecachawkeyfan; 10-23-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X