Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union College: 2017-2018

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    Lots of positives to take away from tonight. That is one hell of a BU team. Penalties and HE refs killed us. Basically, a 1-1 game with 6 minutes left. Two empty net goals.
    Agree - Many more positives then negatives. Kupsky was solid even while BU was allowed to maul him. The defense played well - just need some crisper passes - Look first.. The forwards had plenty of opportunities but BU's goalie and defense played well. Penalties were an issue - again - You can't give a good team that many chances -- the 2 goals that mattered - both on the powerplay.

Considering BU is the #2 team in the country and were at home with Hockey East refs - The future looks a bit brighter..

Comment

BU's defensemen more often than not joined the rush and added to their offense. This, of course, has been our calling card the past 4-5 years. On Saturday the six defensemen we had on the ice had scored a total of 6 career goals. In years past we also had blueliners with the speed to bring the puck up and skate through traps and such. Much work needs to be done. On the plus side the power play looked to be in mid season form already. Against a lesser opponent we might have scored a few more man up.

With regard to next week. Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn676-fLq7I
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

BU's defensemen more often than not joined the rush and added to their offense. This, of course, has been our calling card the past 4-5 years. On Saturday the six defensemen we had on the ice had scored a total of 6 career goals. In years past we also had blueliners with the speed to bring the puck up and skate through traps and such. Much work needs to be done. On the plus side the power play looked to be in mid season form already. Against a lesser opponent we might have scored a few more man up.

With regard to next week. Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn676-fLq7I
        I had the same thought regarding the defensemen. U really did not have anyone who could make a move and skate the puck out of the zone, which is a key to creating offense on the slightly bigger ice sheet. With Taylor & DeSimone gone, Kolias is really the only one with that kind of ability on the team (Anyone know why he wasn't in the lineup? I'm assuming an injury?). Campolieto may eventually get there, but has a ways to go. I saw a lot of banging the puck up the boards on breakouts and other ill advised passes that often went to opposition sticks. I'm not hitting the panic button or anything given the team hasn't even had a formal practice yet, but it reminded me a lot of the last 2 games of last season. 40+ shots against is not a good sign either.

That being said, plenty to be optimistic about and lots of things to work on that will undoubtedly get better. Kupsky looked real good - controlled rebounds better, quicker positioning, stayed calm when there was chaos in front of him. Would be nice if he can step up and not have to rush Hanson. Thought Supinski and Rinaldi looked pretty good and little Foo has some promise. I think the offense could be pretty good this season - maybe more depth, though not as explosive as last year. Defense and puck possession are my big concerns - they were the undoing of the team last season and have to improve significantly IMO for U to challenge for anything close to top 4 in the league.
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Next Up - Michigan Tech
          Loss to Wisconsin (3-2) with Hayton in Goal for Wisconsin
          http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...20171001qx9x1o
          Michigan Tech Coach on loss
          http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...ce/video/index
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Nice article on Kupsky in the Gazette.. Also says Kolias was out with the flu and should be back this weekend.
            https://dailygazette.com/article/201...but-as-starter

Comment

Nice write-up on Kupsky on the NCAA website.
              "College hockey: Union goalie Jake Kupsky sparkles in debut as the starter."
              http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-m...-debut-starter
              (might be the same article that appeared in the Gazette)

Jake was under a lot of pressure as BU students showed up in force and so did the BU band. The BU players were going hard to the net early to try and rattle him. Our turnout, not so great.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I wonder if Hanson will get a start ...
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I wonder if Hanson will get a start ...
                  He's from Minnesota, so would bet that he might.. May depend on whether the coaches want to ride Kupsky if he's playing well, as these will be two very tough games.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                    He's from Minnesota, so would bet that he might.. May depend on whether the coaches want to ride Kupsky if he's playing well, as these will be two very tough games.
                    Last year Bennett alternated Sak and Kupsky through the non-conference games. - would anticipate the same this year.

Comment

Last year, the goaltending situation was unsettled, so both Sak and Kupsky played early. This year, I believe Kupsky is a clear #1, and I'd be very surprised if Hanson got a start vs. teams of the quality Union plays in this tournament. Last year's early season schedule was nothing like this year's.

Comment

Any game report from fans? Missed the game last night but looked at the stats and a bit dumbfounded by the result... we win more faceoffs, have almost twice as many shots on goal, and we only took 3 penalties. So what happened??? 5 goals for 20 shots (goal tending issue)? Did we really have that many chances that didn't go in, no puck luck, perfect golatending on Michigan's side? Were our chances good?

The team has a chance to play again tonight, hope they get going!!! Go Union!!
                        Let's go Union !
                        ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                        ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                        NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Watching online, Union was out-skated in the first period and I believe Rinaldi's breakaway goal was the first real shot on the Michigan Tech goaltender. Union came out stronger in the second and third but couldn't dig themselves out of the deficit. Hoping for a strong start this afternoon.
                          Let's Go Union!!

Comment

Starting Lineup

DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Underway
                              Penalty Minn
                              Minn very fast - flying
                              Shots on goal 7-1 Minn
                              Penalty Union - We are off to a slow start.
                              Being totally outshot by Minn
                              Union on the second powerplay
                              First period over - 19-9 shots Minn
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 10-07-2017, 04:41 PM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Kupsky definitely the highlight of these past three games. All tough losses but it's still early in the season with plenty of time to bring it together. Looking forward to a good game this Friday against UMass.
                                Let's Go Union!!

Comment

Working...
                                X