Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Union College: 2017-2018

Still upright

Re: Union College: 2017-2018

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    They just played 3 of the top 7 teams in the country, ALL on the road, All on the larger Ice sheet
    and other than yesterday's first period pretty much stayed right with them.. Once the freshman adjust to the speed of the college game
    I think we may be ok..

I think I heard the announcer say that Minnesota had 10 NFL draft picks on the ice today.. BU was also loaded with them
    So that is promising..
    I thought you all had a real good team. Good luck the rest of the way. One small item. Amsoil Arena is 200x85. It's a standard NHL sheet.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

I think I heard the announcer say that Minnesota had 10 NFL draft picks on the ice today.. BU was also loaded with them
    So that is promising..
    Just imagine how good they would be if they were loaded with 10 NHL draft picks!

Quote Originally Posted by <3_Blizzard View Post
    Just imagine how good they would be if they were loaded with 10 NHL draft picks!
    "fat fingered that one" ..

In college hockey a Sniper is
    "A player with a powerful, accurate shot skilled at finishing plays. From the military term of the same name."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossa...e_hockey_terms

In the past five years, we had plenty of "snipers". I know we will develop them over the course of the year but I am not sure we have enough right now.

Coach is getting the freshmen plenty of ice time, getting ready for the regular season. They may exceed expectations.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

"After the Goal Rush
    Union Looks to Make Most of a Rebuild Year"
    https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Goal-Rush.php

Could be rough going for us for a while. We have scored 4 goals in three games. Opponents averaging 4 goals against. (4.00/1.25) UMASS looks to have some offense. We were hoping that our offense would carry us until the D got patched up and the freshmen came up to speed. Not sure that is going to happen. Time to play tenacious defense until the team gels.

I have a bad feeling.
    Last edited by Dutchman; 10-13-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Despite good time of possession last year, defense was dismal. This year, three goals against (25% of total) were with empty net and two of three opponents to-date were top five teams. Itís too early to say defense will match last yearís underperformance, but it could be a long year if possession numbers and goals-for donít improve.
    Last edited by Vaportrail; 10-13-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    "After the Goal Rush
    Union Looks to Make Most of a Rebuild Year"
    https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Goal-Rush.php

Could be rough going for us for a while. We have scored 4 goals in three games. Opponents averaging 4 goals against. (4.00/1.25) UMASS looks to have some offense. We were hoping that our offense would carry us until the D got patched up and the freshmen came up to speed. Not sure that is going to happen. Time to play tenacious defense until the team gels.

I have a bad feeling.
    Very difficult to put up offensive numbers when you struggle so much getting out of your own zone -
    With some of those passes by the time they are to the offensive zone it's time for a line change..
    Don't need to be an NHL draft pick to see a guy and pass it to him.. But we struggle to make even close to accurate passes
    all over the ice. I'm very fond of the "passes to nobody in particular" - that is just plain giving possession away.

They seem to be concentrating on the forwards helping out in the D zone - and that too will limit the offensive production

If you are going to give up 5 goals a night - trying to play Defense - then open up the offense - let them skate / attack
    They looked good doing that late in several games.

They seem to be concentrating on the forwards helping out in the D zone - and that too will limit the offensive production
    Very much agree !!!

Missing from the lineup for the first four games
    Taylor Brierley
    Mark Dufour
    Zach
    Tyler Hynes
    Outside of them, it looks like everyone else has been playing more than 1 game except Liam Morgan. If that stays true for the rest of the season then we will only lose 3 seniors, two defensemen and a forward. (assumes no one leaves for the pros). If we hatch another good recruiting class, we will be very solid for next year. I would make sure that every player is on a weightlifting program.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Very much agree !!!

Missing from the lineup for the first four games
    Taylor Brierley
    Mark Dufour
    Zach
    Tyler Hynes
    Outside of them, it looks like everyone else has been playing more than 1 game except Liam Morgan. If that stays true for the rest of the season then we will only lose 3 seniors, two defensemen and a forward. (assumes no one leaves for the pros). If we hatch another good recruiting class, we will be very solid for next year. I would make sure that every player is on a weightlifting program.
    Never know Could be about injuries..
    and I have to agree -- this team is built for an all out run next year..

I don't know about the other three, but Brierley has been hurt.

As of now, the one I could see leave early after this year is Vidmar. He turns 24 in March and should have plenty of options if he has a strong follow-up to last year's breakout.

Quote Originally Posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post

As of now, the one I could see leave early after this year is Vidmar. He turns 24 in March and should have plenty of options if he has a strong follow-up to last year's breakout.
    True but at the beginning of last year I'm not sure we saw Foo or DeSimone leaving either.. Until they did
    And if the expectation is they can make a serious run next year - leaving that opportunity would be difficult for most guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post

Dufour is not injured.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Zach is getting a start

DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

I wish we still had Champini ... he could turn garbage into goals like no one else. We played extremely well for two periods. Just got to keep at it.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Matt Dubrey and Brian Unger are IMO the worse play by play announcers in College Sports. I muted them on the video feed and then listened to the UVM announcers who were excellent.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

My takeaway from this week's games: you cannot be a good hockey team if you can't pass.
    Between the plain bad passes, the blind passes to no one, and passes straight to your opponent, I think we've covered all the ways a pass could be bad. I'm glad we got all that out of our system, and we can start league play without all this garbage. Fix the passing and it'll be a huge leap forward.

Defense still looks a bit young and shy, lack of experience (or trust) is showing around the edges. Nothing terrible though, I think it will come.
    We are also missing a couple of finishers, who can put the puck in the net no matter what.

On the freshmen side, I'm very impressed with Kosack.
    Others who are doing well: Rinaldi, Supinski, Walker.
    Let's go Union !
    ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
    ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
    NCAA champion : 2014

Matt Dubrey and Brian Unger are IMO the worse play by play announcers in College Sports. I muted them on the video feed and then listened to the UVM announcers who were excellent.
    They really don't do play by play... They talk football, throw bad puns at each other, run the ads, talk about how they don't know why the play stopped... and all of a sudden you'll hear: "Score!!"
    They are fun to listen to IMO, if you just want a noise background during play. If you're trying to follow the play by play on the radio with those two, good luck
    Let's go Union !

Quote Originally Posted by UFan View Post
    They really don't do play by play... They talk football, throw bad puns at each other, run the ads, talk about how they don't know why the play stopped... and all of a sudden you'll hear: "Score!!"
    They are fun to listen to IMO, if you just want a noise background during play. If you're trying to follow the play by play on the radio with those two, good luck
    You are going to let the "ice side reporter" off on this one?

You are going to let the "ice side reporter" off on this one?
    Oh Sam... he tries
    Let's go Union !

This year could be the year for the AHA. AirForce and Army are supposed to be very strong. Watch out for Army. The whole league lost very little from last years graduation. We will see. Teams are getting ready for league play so we should see the best of what teams have got. My guess is that Q, Harvard, Clarkson, Princeton and Cornell will lead the ECAC. We will be stronger in the second half.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Thread Information