Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2017-2018

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    Ainlay was a normal human being. Sociology? Give me a break. We needed a scientist/engineer.
    President Ainlay has a degree in sociology and holds a faculty position as professor of sociology at Union.
    Let's Go Union!!

Comment

This is a disaster, Tufts is a far left politically correct cesspool. Ainlay was a normal human being. Sociology? Give me a break. We needed a scientist/engineer. Massachusetts? Why couldn't we get someone from the midwest where normal people live? If Science and Engineering is so important then why get a pres with no science and engineering background? No real world experience. Tufts has no DI. Bye bye Dutchmen hockey. This is going to destroy the hockey ecosystem that supported the team. Having come out of the Tufts Ecosystem, I thought, would disqualify him.
      Dr. Harris had a long distinguished career at Cornell. Honestly, he was on track to be our Provost in the future until he took a position with the Obama adminstration. He is a great man. Union is lucky to have him. Students and faculty loved him at Cornell.

Congrats to Union on breaking the color barrier. He's your first black president, right?
      Cornell

Comment

Yes, he is! Was he a supporter of the hockey program at Cornell? My only worries are regarding the athletic programs, a continued focus on engineering, and a worry that Union will turn into other institutions like Hamilton and Tufts regarding the political climate as has been the trajectory over the last couple of decades with other institutions. Other than that, he has extremely impressive credentials and I look forward to seeing what he does for Union!

Comment

For the past several years eastern hockey (HE, ECAC, AHL) have shown themselves the equal to western hockey. Not this year. NCHC is dominant. Its just the way it is. Eastern hockey might send 5 to the NCAA's and I would be surprised if any make it to the frozen 4. Not to worry. We will be back.
          I agree. Just look at the last four Frozen Four's, since major conference realignment happened in 2013-2014...

NCAA Frozen Four, 2014-2017

2014, Philadelphia
          7 – Union (ECAC*), 4 – Minnesota (Big Ten)
          5 – Union (ECAC*), 4 – Boston College (Hockey East)
          2 – Minnesota (Big Ten), 1 – North Dakota (NCHC)
          ECAC – 4, Big Ten – 3, Hockey East – 1, NCHC – 1 points.

2015, Boston
          4 – Providence (Hockey East), 3 - Boston University (Hockey East*)
          4 – Providence (Hockey East), 1 – Nebraska – Omaha (NCHC)
          5 – Boston University (Hockey East*), 3 – North Dakota (NCHC)
          Hockey East – 7, NCHC – 2 points.

2016, Tampa
          5 – North Dakota (NCHC), 1 – Quinnipiac (ECAC*)
          4 – North Dakota (NCHC), 2 – Denver (NCHC)
          3 – Quinnipiac (ECAC*), 2 – Boston College (Hockey East)
          NCHC – 5, ECAC – 3, Hockey East – 1 points.

2017, Chicago
          3 – Denver (NCHC), 2 – Minnesota – Duluth (NCHC*)
          6 – Denver (NCHC), 1 - Notre Dame (Hockey East)
          2 – Minnesota – Duluth (NCHC*), 1 – Harvard (ECAC)
          NCHC – 7, Hockey East – 1, ECAC – 1 points.

Sub-Totals (based on 2 points for win, 1 point for loss):
          NCHC – 15, Hockey East – 10, ECAC – 8, Big Ten – 3,
          WCHA – 0, Atlantic Hockey – 0, Independents – 0 points.

Totals (based on 2 points for win, 1 point for loss):
          West (NCHC, Big Ten, WCHA) – 18,
          East (Hockey East, ECAC, Atlantic Hockey) – 18 points.

Win-Loss Records:
          NCHC 5-5, Hockey East 3-4, ECAC 3-2, Big Ten 1-1.
          West 6-6, East 6-6.

Titles:
          NCHC 2, Hockey East 1, ECAC 1.
          West 2, East 2.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionDutch View Post
            Yes, he is! Was he a supporter of the hockey program at Cornell? My only worries are regarding the athletic programs, a continued focus on engineering, and a worry that Union will turn into other institutions like Hamilton and Tufts regarding the political climate as has been the trajectory over the last couple of decades with other institutions. Other than that, he has extremely impressive credentials and I look forward to seeing what he does for Union!
            Honestly, his job at Cornell was focussed more on the academic and student side. Someone from Tufts will probably be more able to expand upon his relationship with athletics. Though, just like Cornell, Union's number one athletics is hockey. Ithaca and Schenectady aren't too dissimilar. Both of our schools have a strong engineering program. So, even though he spent the last couple years in Massachusetts, I don't think you should worry about Dr. Harris not respecting and understanding the culture of Union.
            Cornell

Comment

PeanutButter, thanks for your response and that is all great to hear!

Comment

• Originally posted by UnionDutch View Post
                PeanutButter, thanks for your response and that is all great to hear!
                Thank you. I have been a long time lurker, but the last couple of posts here helped me get over the hump to register. Thanks again!
                Cornell

Comment

Same for me... I just joined today as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    This is a disaster, Tufts is a far left politically correct cesspool. Ainlay was a normal human being. Sociology? Give me a break. We needed a scientist/engineer. Massachusetts? Why couldn't we get someone from the midwest where normal people live? If Science and Engineering is so important then why get a pres with no science and engineering background? No real world experience. Tufts has no DI. Bye bye Dutchmen hockey. This is going to destroy the hockey ecosystem that supported the team. Having come out of the Tufts Ecosystem, I thought, would disqualify him.
                    He hasn’t even arrived and you are convicting him. If you think the search committee and the board did not apprise Harris of the culture at Union, you are mistaken. You sound like a myopic member of the Duke faculty during the lacrosse fiasco there. Hockey has elevated the profile of Union, illuminating its top notch academics as well as its amazing success against the giants of the sport. I doubt Harris would want to squander that.

P.S. Take a gander at Tufts lacrosse in recent years; it’s where Wehrum was supposed to take Union.
                    Last edited by Miami Ice; 02-21-2018, 05:02 AM.

Comment

I hope I am wrong and everyone who disagreed with me turns out right. Ainlay leaves some big shoes to fill in his ardent support of the hockey program. We will have to see if Harris can fill them.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                        I agree. Just look at the last four Frozen Four's, since major conference realignment happened in 2013-2014...

NCAA Frozen Four, 2014-2017

2014, Philadelphia
                        7 – Union (ECAC*), 4 – Minnesota (Big Ten)
                        5 – Union (ECAC*), 4 – Boston College (Hockey East)
                        2 – Minnesota (Big Ten), 1 – North Dakota (NCHC)
                        ECAC – 4, Big Ten – 3, Hockey East – 1, NCHC – 1 points.

2015, Boston
                        4 – Providence (Hockey East), 3 - Boston University (Hockey East*)
                        4 – Providence (Hockey East), 1 – Nebraska – Omaha (NCHC)
                        5 – Boston University (Hockey East*), 3 – North Dakota (NCHC)
                        Hockey East – 7, NCHC – 2 points.

2016, Tampa
                        5 – North Dakota (NCHC), 1 – Quinnipiac (ECAC*)
                        4 – North Dakota (NCHC), 2 – Denver (NCHC)
                        3 – Quinnipiac (ECAC*), 2 – Boston College (Hockey East)
                        NCHC – 5, ECAC – 3, Hockey East – 1 points.

2017, Chicago
                        3 – Denver (NCHC), 2 – Minnesota – Duluth (NCHC*)
                        6 – Denver (NCHC), 1 - Notre Dame (Hockey East)
                        2 – Minnesota – Duluth (NCHC*), 1 – Harvard (ECAC)
                        NCHC – 7, Hockey East – 1, ECAC – 1 points.

Sub-Totals (based on 2 points for win, 1 point for loss):
                        NCHC – 15, Hockey East – 10, ECAC – 8, Big Ten – 3,
                        WCHA – 0, Atlantic Hockey – 0, Independents – 0 points.

Totals (based on 2 points for win, 1 point for loss):
                        West (NCHC, Big Ten, WCHA) – 18,
                        East (Hockey East, ECAC, Atlantic Hockey) – 18 points.

Win-Loss Records:
                        NCHC 5-5, Hockey East 3-4, ECAC 3-2, Big Ten 1-1.
                        West 6-6, East 6-6.

Titles:
                        NCHC 2, Hockey East 1, ECAC 1.
                        West 2, East 2.
                        In a tournament with a field of 16 the odds of a conference winning it all are directly proportionate to the number of teams that it has in the field.
                        Just for kicks take this year - if it was to go with the current pairwise (it won't as the AQs will come into play) -- it's only an exercise.
                        straight odds say the NCHC (whether they are best or not) will have the best shot to win because they will have more teams in the field
                        and because they will be spread throughout the brackets - most likely close to home -- no chance to eliminate each other until the end. And because they have the higher rankings
                        will be playing the #3 or #4 team (back half of the field) in most brackets.. Hence if the Pairwise is "gamed" so is the tournament..

Comment

I hope I am wrong and everyone who disagreed with me turns out right. Ainlay leaves some big shoes to fill in his ardent support of the hockey program. We will have to see if Harris can fill them.
                          Dutchman - One would think reading your posts that the President is "all powerful"... These days that doesn't seem to be the case.. The power belongs to the people..

Comment

Dutchman, originally my thoughts were the same as yours. But I am willing to give him a chance. He has phenomenal accolades academically and seems to understand both the engineering and sporting components of our school. But, if it begins to turn anything remotely close to the environment at Tufts, I will no longer donate to my alma mater.
                            I hope you are right and if he's smart he'll leave Hockey alone - if it ain't broke.... My only editorial on his speech was mentioning "achievement" last on his list of goals. I'd hope that in higher ed leadership, that seemingly critical component would have been one of the first things mentioned. I hope your Tufts related concerns are unfounded.
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Wicked Slappaahs, I completely agree. As for my Tufts comment, having many friends who are close to that community, I am aware that it is much different than Union when it comes to openminded thinking on campus. For a liberal arts school with engineering, Union has always done a phenomenal job with that. I have read some things about Dr. Harris and I am optimistic he will continue to make the college a tremendous place. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Wicked Slappaahs, I completely agree. As for my Tufts comment, having many friends who are close to that community, I am aware that it is much different than Union when it comes to openminded thinking on campus. For a liberal arts school with engineering, Union has always done a phenomenal job with that. I have read some things about Dr. Harris and I am optimistic he will continue to make the college a tremendous place. Fingers crossed!
                                In spite of being primarily a DIII school, Union, after the Harkness hangover, has cultivated an agreeable sense of proportion with DI hockey. Early skeptics are now enthusiastic converts. America and maybe even the odd liberal professor/president love a winner. Thank you Nate Leaman and Rick Bennett!
                                DIII Colorado College has been known for years as a first rate academic institution. Its DI hockey program has thrived throughout that time. With a comparable academic reputation Union has followed suit. It’s a great model, particularly when weighed against the huge budgets of the North Dakotas of the world. It is doubtful Harris would tamper with one of Union’s most impressive credentials and the tremendous source of pride it has become, a national championship caliber program. The PR benefits are too great.
                                Last edited by Miami Ice; 02-21-2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X