Union College: 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2017-2018

A good game against the Tigers. There was a lot of energy on the ice, more than I'd noticed in the past few months. That was good. I do like the power play puck movement. You can tell it's a new thing, players are having trouble visualizing open shooting lanes, but I bet you it's a nightmare to defend against, and exhausting or the other team. I hope we keep doing this. The game turned out to quite a free for all at the end, but it was fun from a viewer's perspective.
    I am still impressed by Kupsky. The goal on Friday was a tricky shot (fluttering puck) and I'm sure he wanted it back, but he's been outstanding recently. Hope he keeps it up.
    Morgan is having a good stretch as well. So is Harrison. Those 2 need a bit more playing time with some older guys on the ice, they need a bit better vision of what's going on. It bodes well for next year if they keep getting better!

On to Colgate! Go U!
    Let's go Union !
    ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
    ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
    NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

We can be assured that Point will be in Goal for Colgate. He is the #2 Goalie in the COUNTRY !!!!

Colgate can finish anywhere from 5-9 (clinches home ice with 3 points) Backs against the wall.

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/champi...0101_Fan_Guide

2 Colton Point Colgate So 25 12 9 4 44 1513 1.75 5 767 .946

3 Matthew Galajda Cornell Fr 24 18 3 2 34 1387 1.47 8 547 .941

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/st...all-goalie.php
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Not much written on the Dutchmen, who are only 9-1 in their last ten. Perhaps that is a good thing. They are in the "red zone" now, with some tough yards in front of them (pardon the metaphor).
        Much written on Point of Colgate, but Jake Kupsky is playing as well as any goaltender in the country. The "kids" are coming into their own. The studs are producing. Rick Bennett & Co. are among the best. Union should enter the final regular season weekend in the top twenty, regaining much of the lost ground from their preseason ranking.
        It all boils down now to tournament success as far as the NCAA invitation is concerned. If the Dutchmen are to succeed, no better place to start than at Achilles!

Comment

Looks like Saturday's game vs Cornell is down to standing room tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
            Not much written on the Dutchmen, who are only 9-1 in their last ten. Perhaps that is a good thing. They are in the "red zone" now, with some tough yards in front of them (pardon the metaphor).
            Much written on Point of Colgate, but Jake Kupsky is playing as well as any goaltender in the country. The "kids" are coming into their own. The studs are producing. Rick Bennett & Co. are among the best. Union should enter the final regular season weekend in the top twenty, regaining much of the lost ground from their preseason ranking.
            It all boils down now to tournament success as far as the NCAA invitation is concerned. If the Dutchmen are to succeed, no better place to start than at Achilles!
            Health and the penalty box are our two worst enemies.. need to control those..

Comment

Dutchmen back in the national polls: https://www.unionathletics.com/news/...nal-polls.aspx

Of course, the Pairwise is the real ranking that matters but still nice to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                We can be assured that Point will be in Goal for Colgate. He is the #2 Goalie in the COUNTRY !!!!
                If he's able. He's been out for a while, which is why Gate has cratered.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
                  Dutchmen back in the national polls: https://www.unionathletics.com/news/...nal-polls.aspx

Of course, the Pairwise is the real ranking that matters but still nice to see.
                  discussion point - PAIRWISE - Can it be "gamed" ??
                  Does the Conference and their schedule make up provide an advantage in Pairwise rankings?

A .500 team inside a "strong conference" looks mighty good in the pairwise rankings
                  vs a team near or even over .600 from a conference that may be larger and thus have some weaker teams and scheduling differences.

Why ? A conference with 5-8 teams play each other 4 times each year (strength of schedule ) - and may only play some of the teams twice (in the case of a 9 team league)
                  not sure what determines which one you don't play 4 times or why you don't play them twice more instead of the patsy teams they start with?
                  and results in those back to back games where your strongest goalie may not play game 2 especially following a game 1 win
                  opening the door for the "split at home" scenario thus providing each team "pairwise points" for beating or tying a "strong team"
                  Meanwhile you have a larger conference (primarily in the East) - that ensures you only play each team twice in a season
                  usually weeks apart. Limiting your opportunity to possibly take advantage of the need to rest players in that 2nd game
                  Yes they play 2 back to back but not always against a stronger team (Playing Clarkson back to back days vs playing Clarkson followed by St Lawrence is a bit different)

Just to push up the page count a bit maybe - I am not a Conspiracy theory person - just a fan.. And since pairwise prides itself on not being a "voting poll"
                  but instead a "merit poll" I believe anything that could be construed as less than that is open for discussion..

What made me look at it -- North Dakota .. certainly not unbeatable at 14-14 but ranked way up there and somehow in their conference they are 2-2 with Neb-Omaha, 2-2 with Colorado College, 1-1-2 with Denver, 1-1 with Miami (2 games pending) and 0-1-1 with St Cloud (2 games pending) So each f those teams are collecting "power points" - once would think to be ranked like they are would require dominating somebody in 4 games?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    If he's able. He's been out for a while, which is why Gate has cratered.
                    He'll be back this week.
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Cornell has 100% chance of making the NCAA's and Clarkson has 98% of making the NCAA's
                      Union and Harvard have 11% but most of that probability is comprised of our ability to win the tournament.
                      Remember there are other ECAC teams that can run the table and win the tournament as well. Remember Brown back in 2012 and how close they came.
                      https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ra...lityMatrix.php

"If you’re not currently in the top 14 of the PairWise, be prepared to either make a very deep postseason run if you’re on the bubble, or if you’re currently ranked 18 or below, hope to win your conference tournament."

Basically, we have to win the Tournament to make the NCAA's. The most probable outcome is that the ECAC sends two, Cornell and Clarkson.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ra...lityMatrix.php

We have to stay focussed on Point.
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 02-20-2018, 12:10 PM.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

For the past several years eastern hockey (HE, ECAC, AHL) have shown themselves the equal to western hockey. Not this year. NCHC is dominant. Its just the way it is. Eastern hockey might send 5 to the NCAA's and I would be surprised if any make it to the frozen 4. Not to worry. We will be back.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Union has a new president: https://www.union.edu/david-r-harris/

Hopefully, he understands the importance of athletics and especially two D1 hockey programs. Ainlay always came off as an ally of the programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post

Hopefully, he understands the importance of athletics and especially two D1 hockey programs. Ainlay always came off as an ally of the programs.
                            In the video Harris mentions athletics. No reason to worry...he sounds like a great choice.

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post

This is a disaster, Tufts is a far left politically correct cesspool. Ainlay was a normal human being. Sociology? Give me a break. We needed a scientist/engineer. Massachusetts? Why couldn't we get someone from the midwest where normal people live? If Science and Engineering is so important then why get a pres with no science and engineering background? No real world experience. Tufts has no DI. Bye bye Dutchmen hockey. This is going to destroy the hockey ecosystem that supported the team. Having come out of the Tufts Ecosystem, I thought, would disqualify him.
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 02-20-2018, 08:15 PM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Dutchman, originally my thoughts were the same as yours. But I am willing to give him a chance. He has phenomenal accolades academically and seems to understand both the engineering and sporting components of our school. But, if it begins to turn anything remotely close to the environment at Tufts, I will no longer donate to my alma mater.

Comment

Working...
                                X