Union College: 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2017-2018

Game happened just as I expected... a very high defense that we hate. Cornell plays with lots of forechecking to slow you down, and it works well.
    Low energy first period from the whole team. Looked like they'd just woken from their nap or something... We were a step behind every play, both on the offense and on defense.
    Very decent first 13 minutes of the second period.
    Then we played defense all the way until the last 2 minutes of game.
    Cornell seemed to always have an extra gear, and we seemed to have trouble just staying in gear.

Hanson had a very decent game (both goalies did). Once he figures out his rebounds a bit better, he should be a very good goalie. He seemed fairly poised, stayed square to the shooter.

On to Colgate! Let's get 2 points!!!
    Let's go Union !
    ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
    ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
    NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

I remember the 7-0 beating we gave Cornell in 2015. I believe it was the first round of the ECAC Playoffs. It was at Lynah. Cornell had 10 penalties (deserved 20). Postgame Schafer had nothing positive to say about us. He just whined. I remember the painful look he had on his face. As a matter of fact, I do not recall anything positive about us or any other ECAC team coming from Schafer during 2012 - 2014.

Looks like they have combined their traditional strength in defence with some speed and scoring and that makes for a lethal combination for opponents. We really still don't know how good they are. They actually may be better than their record. They are young and could be strong for a few years. This year the ECAC is weak. Cornell deliberately played a very very weak non-conference schedule. That might have been smart of them. That may work to their advantage in building up confidence and teamwork. Q-Pack did that a few times and went deep into the post season. Not sure how well Cornell will do against Omaha or Minnesota.

I remember 2014 in Lake Placid. A huge group of Cornell's most obnoxious fans were there and they continued to be obnoxious even after the game was well over. A ref should have called an unsportsmanlike penalty on the crowd post game.

I am a big ECAC fan always pulling each season for whatever ECAC team is still in the running. It will be hard to do with Cornell because of their slobbering, whining, obnoxious coach and equally obnoxious, entitled and arrogant fans. I guess I will just have to hold my nose.
      Last edited by Dutchman; 02-03-2018, 08:30 AM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        I remember the 7-0 beating we gave Cornell in 2015. I believe it was the first round of the ECAC Playoffs. It was at Lynah. Cornell had 10 penalties (deserved 20). Postgame Schafer had nothing positive to say about us. He just whined. I remember the painful look he had on his face. As a matter of fact, I do not recall anything positive about us or any other ECAC team coming from Schafer during 2012 - 2014.

Looks like they have combined their traditional strength in defence with some speed and scoring and that makes for a lethal combination for opponents. We really still don't know how good they are. They actually may be better than their record. They are young and could be strong for a few years. This year the ECAC is weak. Cornell deliberately played a very very weak non-conference schedule. That might have been smart of them. That may work to their advantage in building up confidence and teamwork. Q-Pack did that a few times and went deep into the post season. Not sure how well Cornell will do against Omaha or Minnesota.

I remember 2014 in Lake Placid. A huge group of Cornell's most obnoxious fans were there and they continued to be obnoxious even after the game was well over. A ref should have called an unsportsmanlike penalty on the crowd post game.

I am a big ECAC fan always pulling each season for whatever ECAC team is still in the running. It will be hard to do with Cornell because of their slobbering, whining, obnoxious coach and equally obnoxious, entitled and arrogant fans. I guess I will just have to hold my nose.
        Some nights Union is their own worst enemy..
        You know you are going into a hostile environment and the first 10 minutes are crucial to take the crowd out of the game while you get your legs to full tilt
        So what do they do - a penalty in the first 5 minutes (by the Captain no less) and 3 penalties in the first 10 minutes - a complete mission failure.
        You're playing a big brawny team - so dress every guy you have that is short and light ..
        You have a late game power play - the unit out there is buzzing and getting chances so you pull them after 30 seconds
        and not another chance for the 1:30 left in the penalty by the replacements..
        There were mistakes last night and from the TOP down enough to go around...
        I agree on Hanson - needs to control rebounds and STOP play whenever things get shaky (ala SAK)
        - a faceoff with line change beats another easy scoring chance on tired guys..
        Tonight is a must win..
        Good to have #18 back - he looked solid for 9 games off..

Comment

I see you're from the same mold as our President. Thank God most Union alum are civil.
          . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Pokey View Post
            Some nights Union is their own worst enemy..
            You know you are going into a hostile environment and the first 10 minutes are crucial to take the crowd out of the game while you get your legs to full tilt
            So what do they do - a penalty in the first 5 minutes (by the Captain no less) and 3 penalties in the first 10 minutes - a complete mission failure.
            You're playing a big brawny team - so dress every guy you have that is short and light ..
            You have a late game power play - the unit out there is buzzing and getting chances so you pull them after 30 seconds
            and not another chance for the 1:30 left in the penalty by the replacements..
            There were mistakes last night and from the TOP down enough to go around...
            I agree on Hanson - needs to control rebounds and STOP play whenever things get shaky (ala SAK)
            - a faceoff with line change beats another easy scoring chance on tired guys..
            Tonight is a must win..
            Good to have #18 back - he looked solid for 9 games off..
            Curious to understand Cornell getting a PP late in the 3rd in a 3-3 game at Lynah. Did not see the game so perhaps it was a no brainer call.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
              Curious to understand Cornell getting a PP late in the 3rd in a 3-3 game at Lynah. Did not see the game so perhaps it was a no brainer call.
              Schafer’s check is usually signed by Tom Brady
              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Big win tonight vs Colgate. Ensures that a 4-2 record down the stretch, and likely a 3-3 record down the stretch, should lock up a bye. Way to stick with it and eventually beat a very good goalie and defense a couple of times. Nice to see Kupsky play well. And Rinaldi's improvement from last year and ability to finish continues to impress. One other thought I have- our PP is so all over the map. We have real solid numbers overall on the PP, so it is hard to be upset with it. But some PP look very good. While other PPs look like we have never been on a PP before. Anybody with more Xs and Os knowledge then me know the cause of the enormous PP inconsistency?

It is too bad that we could not have pulled off the win last night vs Cornell, especially knowing that Clarkson and Cornell lost tonight. It could have put us tied for 2nd right now and only 1 point behind Cornell for 1st. Not to mention the Pairwise help (which is a lost cause now). But, no reason to live in the past and playing with the #1 team in the nation on the road is always a good sign regardless of outcome. We didn't necessarily play bad overall last night, but there were certainly prolonged stretches of the game that were poor and frustrating. Most notably, as mentioned above by Pokey, taking three penalties in the first 10 minutes. While Cornell is much better on offense this year, they still historically play great D and beat you on your own mistakes- turnovers and penalties. So taking three penalties to start the game against them was inexplicable really. Nonetheless, solid weekend and Union has put themselves in a good spot.

Comment

With all due respect.. I almost completely disagree with this. Schafer made plenty of positive statements about Union's coaches, players, and style of hockey in the Leaman/Bennett years leading up to 2014. In many ways, Leaman's teams were quite similar to Schafer's with a defense first/tough to play against style, but with a little more emphasis on speed rather than size/strength. I personally recall several press interviews after Union games where Schafer was quite complimentary of U and predicted good things if they kept playing that way.

While I'm no expert on Cornell hockey, iIt seemed to me in the 2014-15 season Schafer tried to open things up a bit more offensively and changed up the forechecking and gap control system that had served them so well over the years. Maybe it was from watching Yale's & Union's NC runs playing a more uptempo style, I don't know. The results were relatively disastrous by Cornell standards, as they finished 7th in the league and got blown out in the last game by U. I don't blame Schafer for being a tad upset after that game and not even mentioning Union.. BTW I've seen Bennett do that on more than a few occasions too. I also remember Schafer saying to the press after that game that they were going to go back to playing "Big Red hockey" again. Since then its been the same formula of big, tough, defense first, puck control, great goaltending teams that has been Schafer's bread & butter. To me the results speak for themselves - Cornell has finished below 5th in the league only 2 TIMES in the last 15 YEARS. Schafer is definitely a coach worthy of respect for bringing good, mostly big players (not so easy to find in college hockey) to a good academic school with no scholarships and getting them to play a disciplined, team-first, physical style of very successful hockey. Is Schafer a great guy that you'd want to invite to Thanksgiving dinner? Honestly, I don't know and probably none of us on this board do. Are some of the Big Red fans utterly obnoxious?? Definitely yes, but so are plenty of fans of other teams (including a handful for U I'm sorry to admit).

To get back to the games, I was very happy with the way the team responded in Lynah and a big win tonight that gives U some separation from Gate in the battle for top 4. Having Supinski back is a big boost to the offensive creativity and hopefully will help the team win some of these big games down the stretch. The defense and PK still worry me and Hanson is still learning in goal, but the team seems to be starting to believe in themselves which is promising.
                  UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockey View Post
                    Big win tonight vs Colgate. Ensures that a 4-2 record down the stretch, and likely a 3-3 record down the stretch, should lock up a bye. Way to stick with it and eventually beat a very good goalie and defense a couple of times. Nice to see Kupsky play well. And Rinaldi's improvement from last year and ability to finish continues to impress. One other thought I have- our PP is so all over the map. We have real solid numbers overall on the PP, so it is hard to be upset with it. But some PP look very good. While other PPs look like we have never been on a PP before. Anybody with more Xs and Os knowledge then me know the cause of the enormous PP inconsistency?

It is too bad that we could not have pulled off the win last night vs Cornell, especially knowing that Clarkson and Cornell lost tonight. It could have put us tied for 2nd right now and only 1 point behind Cornell for 1st. Not to mention the Pairwise help (which is a lost cause now). But, no reason to live in the past and playing with the #1 team in the nation on the road is always a good sign regardless of outcome. We didn't necessarily play bad overall last night, but there were certainly prolonged stretches of the game that were poor and frustrating. Most notably, as mentioned above by Pokey, taking three penalties in the first 10 minutes. While Cornell is much better on offense this year, they still historically play great D and beat you on your own mistakes- turnovers and penalties. So taking three penalties to start the game against them was inexplicable really. Nonetheless, solid weekend and Union has put themselves in a good spot.
                    We have been giving away points 1 at Harvard and at least 1 at Cornell -- really good teams don't waste those..

It's alot like the old saying "If you think you have two good QBs then you really don't have 1" .. Most teams put their BEST 5 guys on the power play
                    because it gives them the best chance to score every time. We split our guys into 2 units which means one or two of your better scorers aren't on the ice.
                    Look at the end of a game when you are a goal behind - Who is on the ice? That is your BEST POWER PLAY... Your best chance to score...
                    you need a crease presence (size, good in traffic solid on skates), a play making forward at the point (good passer, good shot, sees the ice), 2 snipers with good sticks who fight for the puck and a D-MAN with a cannon shot
                    There that outta do it..

Comment

I was fairly impressed with your team last night, very fast but small forwards. Vidmars winning shot was top corner over Points shoulder, a beautiful goal scorers goal, not too many can do that. You guys deserved the win, good luck going forward.
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

What if?
                        What if any 12 of the ECAC teams went undefeated in league play the rest of the way. How many could hypothetically reach 28 league points? The assumption here is that 28 league points have gotten you into the top 4 the past 10 + years in the ECAC. Cornell has 27 points today.

Colgate = 29
                        Harvard = 31
                        Union = 34
                        Clarkson = 36
                        Cornell = 39

The bad news for us is that Princeton has won its last 4 and Q has only lost 1 in its past 6 and is averaging 4.25 gpg in its last 4. Harvard has us sandwiched between both ends of the Beanpot. Dartmouth has beaten Denver, New Hampshire, Clarkson, tied Duluth.

Since January 1 we have given up 4 goals 4 times. We need to step it up on defence.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Misc.

Krupski is 3-4 at home
                          Hanson is 3-1 at home

Tyler has taken 1 shot and scored 1 goal and leads the NCAA in shooting percentage at 100%
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

We have got to stay out of the penalty box in period #3 or Harvard will cut us to pieces.
                            We have got to get another score because I don't think a two-goal lead will be enough with all the talent Harvard has
                            We have got to continue to block shots. Already 17 in just the first two periods.
                            We have got to take away time and space for 20 minutes.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

We blocked 26 shots. I wonder if that is a school record?
                              We were lucky to catch them without Donato. He single-handedly destroyed us last year. Also, Madsen always plays well against us and was absent.

Nothing is settled. It's still a crapshoot (a risky or uncertain matter). There are still 5 games left (10 points) for everyone except RPI and Harvard (4 games, 8 points). If Colgate, Dartmouth or red hot Princeton run the table and we stand pat, they will have 27 points and we will have 24 points. Even Yale and Q could hypotectically end up with as many or more.

Dartmouth is all over the place. Since January 1 (10 games) they are 6-4. They have scored 31 (3.1 gpg) and gave up 33 (3.3 gpg). In December they beat Denver and NH and tied Duluth. They lost to Princeton twice giving up 15 goals.They are only giving up 2.5 gpg in the last 6.

Dartmouth takes the least amount of penalties in the ECAC.

Play Defense First
                              Block Shots.
                              Stay out of the penalty box.
                              Buffalo can steal a game for them.
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 02-10-2018, 05:47 AM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Good win last night, you guys are definitely a top four team.
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X