Union College: 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2017-2018

Cornell does have a great fan base. Let’s hope we see them again in Lake Placid ! Hoping Scarfo and friends can have a monster playoff.
    This team has the capacity if they play their best hockey for 60 minutes to make a run in the playoffs. Let’s go U !

Comment

Lacrosse Already? This Saturday at Babson for us Boston Alumni.

Hello all,

We're excited to let you know that we officially open the season today (February, 28th) at 4 PM on Bailey Field against perennial NCAA tournament team Endicott College! We would love for you to join us in supporting the 2018 Union College Lacrosse Team!
      If you are a Boston Alumni, we will be playing this Saturday, March 3rd at Babson College at 12 Noon. There will be an informal gathering before the game in the parking lot. Following the game, there will be a Tailgate at Coach Witheford's Parents house. Everyone is welcome to join!
      Please email Withefod@union.edu for more details or if you would like to attend. We hope to see you there!

Go Union!

Coach Wehrum
      Head Men's Lacrosse Coach
      Union College

Work: (518) 388-6055
      Cell: (315) 868-3862
      Fax: (518) 388-6695
      Email: wehrump@union.edu
      Union Highlights: Highlights
      2018 Prospect Day: Sign Up Here
      Alumni Gym | 807 Union St | Schenectady, NY 12308 |
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Lacrosse Already? This Saturday at Babson for us Boston Alumni.

Hello all,

We're excited to let you know that we officially open the season today (February, 28th) at 4 PM on Bailey Field against perennial NCAA tournament team Endicott College! We would love for you to join us in supporting the 2018 Union College Lacrosse Team!
        If you are a Boston Alumni, we will be playing this Saturday, March 3rd at Babson College at 12 Noon. There will be an informal gathering before the game in the parking lot. Following the game, there will be a Tailgate at Coach Witheford's Parents house. Everyone is welcome to join!
        Please email Withefod@union.edu for more details or if you would like to attend. We hope to see you there!

Go Union!

Coach Wehrum
        Head Men's Lacrosse Coach
        Union College

Work: (518) 388-6055
        Cell: (315) 868-3862
        Fax: (518) 388-6695
        Email: wehrump@union.edu
        Union Highlights: Highlights
        2018 Prospect Day: Sign Up Here
        Alumni Gym | 807 Union St | Schenectady, NY 12308 |
        Some VERY talented Lacrosse players on the Hockey team -- But they are a bit busy these days ...

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how our Freshmen fare in the Playoffs. They have been solid contributors all season. Scarfo has had a great year I hope he can carry that over into the 2nd season.

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
            Can’t disagree, but it’s all we had...so I’ll rephrase...is anyone streaming the games?
            You may have seen this by now, but Boxcast is http://ecachockey.com/men/2017-18/News/20182802_BoxCast

All ECAC playoff games against anyone are hard fought. There is not one team who I would feel completely comfortable playing in the second round. That being said, any opinion on who we hope to play?
            Princeton has talent and is scary when hot, but lack some D and I think we match up well with them. Would not mind a match up vs. them.
            Yale seems hard to predict what team will show up. But they have some talent. I'd be pretty indifferent to a match up vs. them.
            QPac controlled a lot of play in both games versus us, but couldn't finish and we took advantage when we needed to. I wouldn't be thrilled to see them, in case they start putting the puck in the net.
            Would be happy with Brown or RPI (even though that's a rivalry and anything can happen).

Glad we are avoiding Colgate, great D and effort and I wouldn't want to see them. Also, sort of happy we avoid SLU, I just have a feeling they can be dangerous now they are healthy. Having seen them a few times this year, they certainly aren't as bad as their record indicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Union27 View Post
              Looking forward to seeing how our Freshmen fare in the Playoffs. They have been solid contributors all season. Scarfo has had a great year I hope he can carry that over into the 2nd season.
              By this time in the season they aren't really freshmen any more.. They have proven their worth as have many of the upper classmen
              and as long as they remember what happens when it becomes "ME" over "WE" - They can stay with and beat EVERY team in this conference.
              They have proven they can skate with the speedy teams and Out skate the big ones..
              It is now down to the coach putting the RIGHT GUYS on the ice .. and the leadership core keeping them focused..
              GO U!!

Comment

And the answer is ......

BOXCAST

ECAC Hockey (@ecachockeyMWD1) announced today that upcoming men’s league postseason tournaments will be available worldwide through the technology of BoxCast. The entire men’s tournament, including the two semifinals games and championship game, will be streamed beginning Friday, March 2 with live broadcasts of all four first-round games. Fans can purchase a game for $9.95 (US) for viewing directly from www.ecachockey.com.
                Please click HERE for more information! http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2017-1...182802_BoxCast

Ian Greenwald
                Director of Hockey Operations/Video Coordinator
                Men's Hockey
                greenwai@union.edu
                www.unionathletics.com
                Office: 518-388-6449
                Cell:
                Fax: 518-388-6323
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I know every playoff game is very tough regardless of opponent. So there is no team I'd feel real comfortable playing. And I know we have to bring our A game no matter who we play, there are no gimmes, but that being said anybody have any opinions on who we hope to play in the 2nd Round?

Glad we avoid Colgate. They play good D and are well coached and put forth good effort and always seem to play us close.
                  Also somewhat happy we avoid SLU as crazy as that may sound. They are healthy now and I have seen them a few times this year and they aren't as bad as their record indicates.

Princeton can be scary when they are on but they lack D and I think that is a good matchup for us. Would not mind seeing them.
                  Yale seems to be a bit of a wild card. They've had their ups and downs, not sure which team will show up. Probably would prefer not to see them, but would be relatively indifferent towards them.
                  QPac controlled much of the play in our two games vs them, but couldn't finish their chances and we finished our chances. Would not really like to see Qpac in case they start finishing their chances.
                  Would like to see Brown or RPI (even though rivalries can be a problem in their own way).

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Cornell's band doesn't yell "You suck!" when the opposition takes the ice (instead what you mentioned with the newspapers); "You suck" is the RPI fans during introductions. Clarkson does "You're a big puss" ("sieve sieve sieve..." for the goalie), Union just does a straight boo-hiss, and I don't recall the traditions of any other ECAC teams not yet mentioned, if any. Maybe it's just me, but when you pay to go to the games, it doesn't seem so bad to act up within reason when it comes to harmless words you hear at pretty much every away game. I can understand the adversity to it, especially hearing from my sister-in-law after taking my 3-year-old nephew to a game. Too much crackdown can have quite an effect on the atmosphere at games, which is most certainly one of college's big selling points over MJ.
                    I agree with you... too much crackdown can have a (positive) effect. On that we agree (with your sister-in-law). As for “it doesn't seem so bad to act up within reason when it comes to harmless words you hear at pretty much every away game,” I think you would agree that those are all subjective, not objective. “Within reason?” “Harmless words?” Obviously definitions of those phrases differ, person to person, team to team, and even conference to conference.
                    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 03-01-2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                      I agree with you... too much crackdown can have a (positive) affect. On that we agree (with your sister-in-law). As for “it doesn't seem so bad to act up within reason when it comes to harmless words you hear at pretty much every away game,” I think you would agree that those are all subjective, not objective. “Within reason?” “Harmless words?” Obviously definitions of those phrases differ, person to person, team to team, and even conference to conference.
                      Oh, yeah, obviously I don’t buy into the whole ‘yeah, it’s bad conduct, but it is tradition’ mentality. Neither do the #MeToo supporters. Inappropriate and bad conduct doesn’t change, just our tolerance of it changes over time.

Comment

The Ghost seems like a class act.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...-panthers-game

Comment

These three seniors all hail from Massachusetts. They all attended academically elite New England prep schools. These are the same schools that the Ivy league schools typically recruit from. A non-scientific look at some Ivy rosters through the years might denote a stronger shift to Canadian prospects.

Ryan Scarfo - North Chelmsford, MA - Governors Academy
                          J.C. Bassard - Scituate, MA - Nobles
                          Connor Light - Sudbury, MA - Phillips Academy

Typically prep-school kids are at least a year older than your average 18-year-old HS graduate as the prep-school academics encourage kids to reset back a year when they enter or do a post-graduate year. Tack on a year in Juniors and these freshmen are now 20. I think Bassard was 18 as a freshman.

From what others say, the argument against prep-school kids is that it takes them longer to develop than recruiting from Canada. I hope we are able to continue to recruit from academically elite prep-schools, although I know we face tough competition from the Ivy League. No one would argue that these three hockey players are three of the best in the ECAC right now.

Hats off to the coaching staff for not giving up on kids and for developing raw hockey talent. Hats off to them for bringing us back after losing so much talent last year. That ability to develop raw hockey talent, and this year quickly, is IMO our competitive advantage. For that we need and have an outstanding coaching staff.
                          Last edited by Dutchman; 03-02-2018, 05:50 AM.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

These three seniors all hail from Massachusetts. They all attended academically elite New England prep schools. These are the same schools that the Ivy league schools typically recruit from. A non-scientific look at some Ivy rosters through the years might denote a stronger shift to Canadian prospects.

How did I not realize Scarfo came from Governors? Around the time he was there a cousin of mine was managing that rink I do believe. Another cousin (his daughter) ended up playing for their women's team (or at least their JV team).

And hey all. I've been quiet this season but I'm still around. Been a little more active on the Facebook group. Had to reset my password to here before logging in. I forgot it long ago.

And also forgot I have to double check my signature, see if I have the Cleary and Whitelaw dates correct. I had them wrong for a long time, and forget if I ever fixed it!
                            National Champions 2014!
                            Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
                            Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
                            Let's Go U!!!

Comment

From what others say, the argument against prep-school kids is that it takes them longer to develop than recruiting from Canada. I hope we are able to continue to recruit from academically elite prep-schools, although I know we face tough competition from the Ivy League. No one would argue that these three hockey players are three of the best in the ECAC right now.
                              Please provide references of ECAC fans who think Light is one of the best players in the league.

Comment

I'd be curious to know if any 9-12 seeded teams went on to win the Whitelaw cup in the past. The first night of the ECAC playoffs went about how the standings would have you expect. The three teams with the worst records lost and the ninth seeded Quinnipiac upset eighth seeded Yale.
                                Let's Go Union!!

Comment

Working...
                                X