Comment

• Re: Union College: 2017-2018

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      From the Princetonian

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/art...-quarterfinals

Men’s hockey destroys Brown, advances to ECAC Quarterfinals
      The Tigers took care of business and set up a rematch with Union
      By Christopher Murphy | Mar 5, 2018

A lengthy article detailing how Princeton destroyed Brown with lots of chest thumping and loud boasting (Brown was 55th in the nation in scoring and 49th in defence - against the top 4 teams in the ECAC, Princeton is 1-6-1).

Then comes the very stern warning to us.

The Tigers will be looking to exorcise some demons against the Dutchmen, who not only swept the season series against the Tigers this year but ended the Tigers’ season last year in the ECAC Quarterfinals with a one-goal overtime win. However, after watching these games, perhaps the Dutchmen are feeling just a bit more nervous about the impending series.

Nervous? How about feeling hungry
      This is obviously a case of "Convincing themselves" before they have to convince anyone else..
      There just is no humility in Jersey....

Comment

ECAC Quarterfinal Preview
        by Joshua Seguin/Staff Writer (@JoshSeguin24)
        https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...al-Preview.php

"Arguably the matchup of the weekend, the Tigers will meet Union in Schenectady for a series that has three games written all over it."

Joshua had us picked 10th in the preseason/early-season poll.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

These teams met last year in the quarterfinals, with the Dutchmen sweeping the Tigers. In fact, the last 20 matchups of the teams have belonged to Union. It is 17-0-3 in that time frame, with Princeton's last win coming in game three of a 2009 ECAC quarterfinal series.
          I had to look that up since I didn't believe it. Sure enough, Princeton's last win against us was in Game 3 of the 2009 QFs. Stuff like that makes me nervous.
          Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Defence - tenacious unrelenting defence.
            Championship calibre defence.
            Forecheck - don't let them out of their own zone. Make them play defence. Stay on offence.
            Take away time and space
            Stay out of the penalty box. We have vastly improved. Keep it up!
            Can we shut them out? Impossible?
            Pour it on for 60 minutes

and

Help Kupsky - block shots - they are going to be throwing everything at him.
            Last edited by Dutchman; 03-09-2018, 04:13 AM.
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Defence - tenacious unrelenting defence.
              Championship calibre defence.
              Forecheck - don't let them out of their own zone. Make them play defence. Stay on offence.
              Take away time and space
              Stay out of the penalty box. We have vastly improved. Keep it up!
              Can we shut them out? Impossible?
              Pour it on for 60 minutes

and

Help Kupsky - block shots - they are going to be throwing everything at him.
              defence?? - That's British right?? Do they even play hockey?? ..
              at least go Dutch achterhoede or defensie

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey View Post
                defence?? - That's British right?? Do they even play hockey?? ..
                at least go Dutch achterhoede or defensie
                Not my fault ... my spell checker did it. Must have some UK code buried in there somewhere

Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English. The spelling distinction extends to most derivatives of defence/defense, including defences/defenses and defenceless/defenseless. But the words defensive, defensiveness, and defensively have an s everywhere.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Not my fault ... my spell checker did it. Must have some UK code buried in there somewhere

Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English. The spelling distinction extends to most derivatives of defence/defense, including defences/defenses and defenceless/defenseless. But the words defensive, defensiveness, and defensively have an s everywhere.
                  I agree with everything you said and no matter how they spell it - they have to play it well.... go U

Comment

I think maybe the posters here were the overconfident ones.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Princeton played with confidence throughout the game to overcome two Union leads and didn't ease up on their offensive pressure. Many Union turnovers became shots against within seconds after a couple of crisp passes. Princeton reminds me of the Dutchmen from last year with two very talented forwards upfront. It was still a very close game tonight and should be a good one tomorrow too.
                      Last edited by UnionFan; 03-09-2018, 09:54 PM. Reason: grammar
                      Let's Go Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        I think maybe the posters here were the overconfident ones.
                        There is a major difference between overconfidence and faith..

Comment

Tough loss. I don't think Union played all that badly, but not well enough obviously. Kupsky had little chance on that Veronneau rocket that tied the game at 1-1. The go ahead goal that made it 4-3 seemed to happen so fast that it was already by Kupsky before he knew what was going on.

Union was unbeaten in its last 20 games against Princeton going back to 2009. That streak was bound to come to an eventually.

I thought this series was likely to go 3 games since the matchup came together last weekend. Still feel that way.

Comment

Princeton played well, confident, feet moving and accurate crisp passes.. Union looked like a team that either played 2 games yesterday or hadn't played at all in a month

Forecheck was loopy, guys falling down on quick turns, passes that were always just off - even line changes were slow ..
                            Foo being out from early in the first threw off line combos and certainly didn't help...
                            but that is why it's best of three..

Comment

• Originally posted by Pokey View Post
                              There is a major difference between overconfidence and faith..
                              Well, when fans mock a teams confidence in themselves, it sometimes comes back to bite you. I can see it going three though, which way, who knows?
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Pokey View Post
                                Princeton played well, confident, feet moving and accurate crisp passes.. Union looked like a team that either played 2 games yesterday or hadn't played at all in a month

Forecheck was loopy, guys falling down on quick turns, passes that were always just off - even line changes were slow ..
                                Foo being out from early in the first threw off line combos and certainly didn't help...
                                but that is why it's best of three..
                                I can’t argue with this. Combined with Princeton’s sharp play, I was surprised the game was as close as it was. In no way do I pin this loss on Kupsky, but he usually stops those shots in his sleep (referring to Grande’s game-winner).

It seemed like every break-out pass was challenged and turned over into a Princeton scoring chance. It also seemed like Union could never settle the puck down and make a crisp, clean pass. The puck was bouncing all over the place.

They usually play better on Saturdays, but they’ll really need to be sharp tonight. Princeton has even more confidence than we all thought they did.
                                Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X