X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    And he welcomes all denominations, but his favorite is the Franklin.
    It's all about the Benjamins.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      What's wrong with polygamy?
      Matthew 6:24

That's how I know polygamy can't work.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        Matthew 6:24

That's how I know polygamy can't work.
        But they are serving one Master!! (ducks)
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          And as confident as you are that literally everyone else has it wrong, I'll still take the Church's 2000 years of bible study over yours. Especially since it, you know, created the farking Bible.
          I'm with you on this one. The Church is no johnny-come-lately to the conversation.

I challenge folks to read the Catechism. There's where 2000 years of thought on some heady subjects is put forth.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            I'm with you on this one. The Church is no johnny-come-lately to the conversation.

I challenge folks to read the Catechism. There's where 2000 years of thought on some heady subjects is put forth.
            I grew up with the Baltimore Catechism. And I have the new one. Great reference tool if one is stuck.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I grew up with the Baltimore Catechism. And I have the new one. Great reference tool if one is stuck.
              I wish it was a little more clear on this.

The pre-existence of Christ is clearly stated in John 1:1-4: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life.”

This Word (Logos in Greek) became incarnate in Jesus. “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us,” John tells us (verse 14). The eternal, uncreated Word who was God, and yet was with God as one of the Persons of the Godhead, became a human being. The Word “was” God (an eternal state) but “became” a human being. The Word never came into being, that is, he didn’t “become” the Word. He always was the Word, or God. The Word’s existence is open-ended. He has always existed.

As Donald Macleod points out in The Person of Christ: “He is sent forth as one who already has being, not as one who comes into being by being sent” (page 55). Macleod further states:

In the New Testament, Jesus’ existence as a man is a continuation of his previous or prior existence as a heavenly being. The Word who dwelt among us is the same as the Word who was with God. The Christ who is found in form as a man is the very one who previously existed in the form of God. (page 63)
              It was the Word, the Son of God, who became flesh, rather than the Father or the Holy Spirit.
              I wish my CCD teacher had been that clear. It's internally consistent and profound. And utter hogwash, of course, but still, as casuistry goes that is the Church at the top of their game.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Tax them.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  You don't tax the church building, but the mansion, yacht, private airplane and other doo dads should be taxed.

However, I would hope that God has other things in mind when His shepherds turn into wolves.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You don't tax the church building, but the mansion, yacht, private airplane and other doo dads should be taxed.

However, I would hope that God has other things in mind when His shepherds turn into wolves.
                    The Church is where they shear the sheep. Tax it all.
                    Cornell University

Comment

And as confident as you are that literally everyone else has it wrong...
                      Let's be clear. You began this by incorrectly criticizing my faith after I said many parts of the OT are critical...

It's highly suspect that you casually throw out half the Bible as tainted by human hands while believing the other half is the literal Word of God.
                      _____

I'll still take the Church's 2000 years of bible study over (fyp) that of Jesus.
                      Then how would you defend church administration actions...

Crusades
                      Hindering science - ie., Galileo, medical advances
                      Indulgences
                      Need for Reformation - Luther and decades of war
                      Inquisition
                      Priest scandals

...against the Word, in which the core of Christianity was created in one passage:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. And love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        Let's be clear. You began this by incorrectly criticizing my faith after I said many parts of the OT are critical...

_____

Then how would you defend church administration actions...

Crusades
                        Hindering science - ie., Galileo, medical advances
                        Indulgences
                        Need for Reformation - Luther and decades of war
                        Inquisition
                        Priest scandals

...against the Word, in which the core of Christianity was created in one passage:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. And love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

You are free to believe what you want. But don't expect it to go unquestioned, especially when you deviate from the established norms that have been around since long before your great great great great great great great great great grandfather was just a gleam in his daddy's eyes.

I just tend to find it extremely suspect when contradictions within the Bible are brushed aside with the wave of a hand that that part isn't literal, only these other parts that I agree with are to be taken literally.

The casual brush off of the Catholic Church is amusing, too, considering without it, Jesus would've just been seen as another Jew wrongfully convicted by the Romans.
                        Last edited by unofan; 09-06-2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

5mn would make a great televangelist, with his "Church of Nice" shtick.

Comment

You are free to believe what you want. But don't expect it to go unquestioned, especially when you deviate from the established norms that have been around since long before your great great great great great great great great great grandfather was just a gleam in his daddy's eyes. I just tend to find it extremely suspect when contradictions within the Bible are brushed aside with the wave of a hand that that part isn't literal, only these other parts that I agree with are to be taken literally.
                            I've been stating my position over and over.

The Word is what matters: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. And love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Beyond that Jesus' Word clearly states what's important and what's not out of the OT. The Ten Commandments is important and 'eye for an eye' is wrong. Jesus says so.

The casual brush off of the Catholic Church is amusing, too, considering without it, Jesus would've just been seen as another Jew wrongfully convicted by the Romans.
                            Every statement you make includes reverence for the church...mine for Jesus/God. In my lifetime, I have never, ever heard anyone give the Catholic church so much credit for Christianity - by putting it in front of Jesus/the Word and as author of the Bible. The Second Commandment says “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the LORD your God will not tolerate your affection for any other gods." As a Christian, I would not hold reverence for the church itself as you do...as per the Second Commandment, your position is heresy.

And in putting your 'taking the church' over a simple statement from God that nets out what matters to Him...its clear your taking the OT over the New. I have no qualms with your belief in an OT God...or should I say disbelief. But that's not God...Jesus is quite clear on that.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              I have no qualms with your belief in an OT God...
                              I don't believe in an OT god.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                5mn would make a great televangelist, with his "Church of Nice" shtick.
                                5mn's religion boils down to "don't be a d-ck."

That is far superior to any other religious doctrine I've ever heard.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X