This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
    If you're Jewish it applies. For me as a Catholic it does not apply.

As for clothing, I have no coordination genes.
    Then explain why I'm gonna burn for liking guys.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      Then explain why I'm gonna burn for liking guys.
      That's up to Jesus at your moment of death, not me. You (and I) will be judged on how we lived our lives. Do badly and it will be a bit warm. Do well and you achieve eternity in heaven.

Some (many here) will disagree.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        That's up to Jesus at your moment of death, not me. You (and I) will be judged on how we lived our lives. Do badly and it will be a bit warm. Do well and you achieve eternity in heaven.

I see this and I think that Jesus would be shaking his head at some of the silliness that humans freak out about. He didn't get all tweaked about all the minutia that many of the organized churches obsess over. He got tweaked over the Pharisees missing the point and being obsessed by minutia. Spent most of Matthew on that, saying those who make rules like that are not OK. Pretty sure that won't change. Look at what he taught. Not all all the silliness that humans have decided are important for no other reason than they need to perseverate over something. He was more focused on saying do the right thing, love everyone, even those society shuns. The people he judged were the people that were judging others.
        Last edited by leswp1; 02-11-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Well.. I've inspired many people to get off the couch and take charge of their health. And I volunteer with cat and LGBT causes locally.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            I see this and I think that Jesus would be shaking his head at some of the silliness that humans freak out about. He didn't get all tweaked about all the minutia that many of the organized churches obsess over. He got tweaked over the Pharisees missing the point and being obsessed by minutia. Spent most of Matthew on that, saying those who make rules like that are not OK. Pretty sure that won't change. Look at what he taught. Not all all the silliness that humans have decided are important for no other reason than they need to perseverate over something. He was more focused on saying do the right thing, love everyone, even those society shuns. The people he judged were the people that were judging others.
            Physics is King, Biology is Queen and their rule is absolute (or, physics rules the universe and biology rules life).

I can't change the laws of physics and I can't change biology either.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I didn't write this

One of the greatest sources of unhappiness in life is that we are raised to expect people to be one thing when they are really something else. What is normal? What is abnormal? What is a good person? We learn that someone good has baser desires and label them a hypocrite thereby becoming a hypocrite in doing so.

We build archetypes of character types and then expect people to fit nicely into those little defined roles that we've constructed. The constructs are artificial, but the people are not. We're shocked when we discover unexpected depths to someone we classified as stupid. We're offended when we learn that some esteemed person has baser desires. Pity the upstanding citizen who has a desire to dress up like a woman in the privacy of his own home.

We accept the roles that are placed upon us and try to mold ourselves into them regardless of the fact that we are uncomfortable in that role. We try to adopt the manners and beliefs of those roles. People who act a little oddly are shunned until they conform. A man who does charitable deeds is suddenly vilified when it is learned that he had an affair with a married woman.

Each and every person walking around thinks they are judge, jury, and executioner. If we find one little character flaw, then we condemn and punish the person. Seldom are we compassionate to those who fail to live up to the expectations that we place upon them. It doesn't matter that our expectations are unreasonable.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I didn't write this
                It's a good quote, though I believe the author is conflating private and public perceptions. Privately, many of us understand life is complex, character is always mixed, judgment should be circumspect, and tolerance is a sacred virtue. Publicly, the Mob Mind takes over, flattens all that out, and excretes the lowest common denominator simplification.

Heaven is quiet introspection. Hell is social media.
                Last edited by Kepler; 02-12-2018, 07:07 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  It's a good quote, though I believe the author is conflating private and public perceptions. Privately, many of us understand life is complex, character is always mixed, judgment should be circumspect, and tolerance is a sacred virtue. Publicly, the Mob Mind takes over, flattens all that out, and excretes the lowest common denominator simplification.

Heaven is quiet introspection. Hell is social media.
                  Purgatory is message boards?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Purgatory is message boards?
                    Limbo, I guess.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Physics is King, Biology is Queen and their rule is absolute (or, physics rules the universe and biology rules life).

I can't change the laws of physics and I can't change biology either.
                      But you'll do your ****dest to make sure legislation ignores both.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          If it harms none, do it.
                          Protect the weak from the strong.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If it harms none, do it.
                            Protect the weak from the strong.
                            So let's force poor unmarried women to give birth to an unwanted child lacking access to a social safety net in a planet that will be ever more inhospitable to human life due to unregulated pollutants so that the rich can get an extra percent or two in profits.

Really protecting the weak there, Joe.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              So let's force poor unmarried women to give birth to an unwanted child lacking access to a social safety net in a planet that will be ever more inhospitable to human life due to unregulated pollutants so that the rich can get an extra percent or two in profits.

Really protecting the weak there, Joe.
                              The baby. The choicers ignore the baby who is defenseless.
                              I keep reading that birth control is the responsibility of the woman (horsebleep). If you want to play hide the salami, then make sure there are no complications.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The baby. The choicers ignore the baby who is defenseless.
                                I keep reading that birth control is the responsibility of the woman (horsebleep). If you want to play hide the salami, then make sure there are no complications.
                                A fertilized egg is not a baby any more than an acorn is an oak tree.

But putting that aside, your party's (and the Church's) stance on birth control is indefensible if it's really about protecting babies rather than controlling women's body parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X