This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

The ECLA owns the rights to "Davey and Goliath". Being a good Catholic boy, when I first heard "A Mighty Fortress" in church, I thought they were playing the Davey & Goliath theme song.

I would lean towards the Missouri Synod side of the Lutherans if I jumped ship (which I can't/won't).

Am I dating myself with the Davey & Goliath reference??
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      The ECLA owns the rights to "Davey and Goliath". Being a good Catholic boy, when I first heard "A Mighty Fortress" in church, I thought they were playing the Davey & Goliath theme song.

I would lean towards the Missouri Synod side of the Lutherans if I jumped ship (which I can't/won't).

I got it, so yes.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yes and no. It's been referenced in other more current shows, so there's a chance that younger people - even younger than me at 40, will know the reference even if they haven't seen a single episode of it.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Yes and no. It's been referenced in other more current shows, so there's a chance that younger people - even younger than me at 40, will know the reference even if they haven't seen a single episode of it.
          Saw Davey and Goliath in church when I was a kid, and even Robot Chicken spoofed it.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            I am not sure if God actively sets out to smite people who are dicks. I am not sure if God actively does stuff to people.
            You and Mojo.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It turns out St. Jerome was not the first to translate the Bible into Latin.

http://m.ncregister.com/daily-news/o...s-rediscovered
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

??? those people are Batsh1t crazy. They censored the Pastor that attended the ecumenical service for the 9/11 victims because he was communing with the enemy.

Comment

??? those people are Batsh1t crazy. They censored the Pastor that attended the ecumenical service for the 9/11 victims because he was communing with the enemy.
                  Really? I think I grew up on a Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, and it was very liberal. Love everybody, forgive everybody, believe in Jesus, be tolerant, work hard, drink a little, howl at the moon a little now and then if you need to, love everybody again.

Come to think of it, there seemed to be a lot of swingers in that small community.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                    Really? I think I grew up on a Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, and it was very liberal. Love everybody, forgive everybody, believe in Jesus, be tolerant, work hard, drink a little, howl at the moon a little now and then if you need to, love everybody again.

Come to think of it, there seemed to be a lot of swingers in that small community.
                    We have one up here. No women are allowed in leadership. No women are allowed to teach Sunday School to boys over the age of 12 because men have dominion over women. Can't take communion in another church because only the Misouri Synod is the correct way. I can't remember all of it but the one up here is like a Lutheran Fundy church

Comment

We have one up here. No women are allowed in leadership. No women are allowed to teach Sunday School to boys over the age of 12 because men have dominion over women. Can't take communion in another church because only the Misouri Synod is the correct way. I can't remember all of it but the one up here is like a Lutheran Fundy church
                      Wow. I must be mistaken then, because that is totally unlike what I was exposed to. Still strayed away a long time ago, though.

Comment

You sure you aren't thinking of the WELS? We had one of their members on these threads occasionally - Timothy A.

And yeah, they are a "missionary while thinking of Jesus" type church.

Comment

Maybe it's just politics? They are apparently currently being led by a prize f-ckwit.

More moderate members of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod have clashed with conservatives before. In 1974, conservative Lutherans accused John Tietjen, then president of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis — an institution that trains future synod leaders — of failing to insist on a literal instruction of the Bible, especially the Old Testament.The controversy led the majority of Concordia’s faculty and students to walk out of the school in protest. Many eventually formed Seminex, a “seminary in exile,” at St. Louis University and Eden Theological Seminary. Seminex has since disbanded.

Tietjen helped organize in 1976 the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches, a collection of congregations that opted to leave the Missouri Synod.

As a leader of the group, Tietjen helped merge it in 1987 with the Lutheran Church in America and the American Lutheran Church. That merger created the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the largest Lutheran denomination in the U.S.

Some argue the 1970s schism left the church bereft of more moderate members, setting the stage for leaders such as Harrison. In a surprise defeat of a more liberal three-term incumbent — the Rev. Gerald Kieschnick — delegates of the denomination elected Harrison president in 2010.

Harrison’s victory represented a conservative ideological shift for the denomination, which has come with its set of challenges.

In 2013, for example, Harrison made headlines when in the wake of the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., he asked a church pastor to apologize for participating in an interfaith vigil.

The church’s constitution prohibits members from taking part in worship services that blend the beliefs and practices of Lutherans with those of other faiths and Christian denominations.
                          Cornell University

Comment

http://babylonbee.com/news/joel-oste...best-life-now/

EDIT: THE DOORS HAVE BEEN OPENED!!!
                            Last edited by joecct; 08-29-2017, 07:47 PM.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

All we need now is for Trump to Tweet: "The #FakeNews media has treated Joel Osteen very unfairly! Sad!"

Comment

http://babylonbee.com/news/joel-oste...best-life-now/

EDIT: Turns out they still haven't. Kind of...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AdviceAnima..._now/?sort=top

https://***********/BenPhilpottKUT/s...40567002873856
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X