X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.co...ng-crisis/amp/

The man is drip slime.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      More and more images and posts showing up from people in the area who dispute the church's account.
      Hey, I also said your statement was accurate.

Hadn't seen the pictures, just the announcement.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Again, so you say. The major sects of Christianity disagree, and your interpretation sure makes it sound like God farked up. Because if he didn't, then why would the divinely inspired Old Testament need editing.
        And no, Jesus said so. An inspired OT is not a literal and infallible OT. Jesus said so Himself by refuting an 'eye for an eye'.

And why are you as a non believer putting so much credence in the viewpoints of a church anyways?
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          You're only about six hours too late.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I miss this at the end of Mass. Fortunately the Anglican Ordnariate kept it after Paul VI tossed it in 1965.

John 1:1-14 (Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA))

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
            2 The same was in the beginning with God.
            3 All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made.
            4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
            5 And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
            6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
            7 This man came for a witness, to give testimony of the light, that all men might believe through him.
            8 He was not the light, but was to give testimony of the light.
            9 That was the true light, which enlighteneth every man that cometh into this world.
            10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
            11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
            12 But as many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name.
            13 Who are born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
            14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we saw his glory, the glory as it were of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              I miss this at the end of Mass. Fortunately the Anglican Ordnariate kept it after Paul VI tossed it in 1965.

John 1:1-14 (Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA))

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
              2 The same was in the beginning with God.
              3 All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made.
              4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
              5 And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
              6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
              7 This man came for a witness, to give testimony of the light, that all men might believe through him.
              8 He was not the light, but was to give testimony of the light.
              9 That was the true light, which enlighteneth every man that cometh into this world.
              10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
              11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
              12 But as many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name.
              13 Who are born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
              14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we saw his glory, the glory as it were of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
              Not sure how you get from these wonderful words to "if you put your winkie in the wrong place you burn forever."

I'm curious why "him" is not capitalized in the above. Is that just a mistake or is there something theologically meaningful going on?
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                And no, Jesus said so. An inspired OT is not a literal and infallible OT. Jesus said so Himself by refuting an 'eye for an eye'.

And why are you as a non believer putting so much credence in the viewpoints of a church anyways?
                Because I went to Catholic school for k-8, have been to mass more times than I can count, and the Church is the founder of Christianity, tracing its roots back to Peter. So I do count on it, as the expert in the field and the original creator of the Christian Bible, to get the faith correct, even if I no longer have any myself. It's been attempting to answer questions of faith for literally millennia, so you'll have to pardon me if I give its answers more credence than I do someone who is essentially a self-taught weekend warrior in the field.

And more to the point, just because you happen to take the paradoxical stance that half the Bible (or really, just the four gospels that happen to have been chosen by the Catholic Church for inclusion in the Bible) is literally the word of God and rest isn't, doesn't mean that the vast, vast majority of Christians make that same distinction. Catholicism and the major protestant denominations all treat the entire Bible as the word of God, not just the New Testament and certainly not just the four gospels.
                Last edited by unofan; 08-29-2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

So I do count on it, as the expert in the field and the original creator of the Christian Bible, to get the faith correct, even if I no longer have any myself.
                  When did you lose faith and what is that like? I never possessed a scintilla of faith (as far as I remember). Christianity was a puzzle and the Church was just a creepy annoyance.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Because I went to Catholic school for k-8, have been to mass more times than I can count, and the Church is the founder of Christianity, tracing its roots back to Peter. So I do count on it, as the expert in the field and the original creator of the Christian Bible, to get the faith correct, even if I no longer have any myself. It's been attempting to answer questions of faith for literally millennia, so you'll have to pardon me if I give its answers more credence than I do someone who is essentially a self-taught weekend warrior in the field.

And more to the point, just because you happen to take the paradoxical stance that half the Bible (or really, just the four gospels that happen to have been chosen by the Catholic Church for inclusion in the Bible) is literally the word of God and rest isn't, doesn't mean that the vast, vast majority of Christians make that same distinction. Catholicism and the major protestant denominations all treat the entire Bible as the word of God, not just the New Testament and certainly not just the four gospels.
                    I don't know about Catholics, but don't lump in us Lutherans with being Old Testament Jews. Christ set us free from "the Law" (the OT). We are not bound by it. We are not held accountable to it. We don't follow it. We are forgiven everything according to the New Testament.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      When did you lose faith and what is that like? I never possessed a scintilla of faith (as far as I remember). Christianity was a puzzle and the Church was just a creepy annoyance.
                      I don't know if I ever had true faith, any more than any child can when they don't know what they're actually doing. But I definitely prayed as a kid, and believed God was real, if only because it was never questioned. For me, as I got older, the inherent contradictions started me down the slippery slope to the point I am now. At some point I realized doubting Thomas gets a bad rap; it's not unreasonable to want proof, in fact it's the smart thing to do.

The flat out meanspiritedness of the religious right didn't help matters as I became more aware of politics, even though that is more evangelical protestants than Catholics.

For me, it ultimately comes down to a version of the "evil" paradox. Bad things happen to good people through no fault of their own. So either God can't intervene, in which case he's not really a god, or he chooses not to, in which case he's an ******* and not worthy of our devotion. And requiring blind devotion as a prerequisite for salvation is the sign of a narcissist, not a benevolent deity.

To the extent there may be higher powers out there in the universe somewhere, any sufficiently advanced technology will seem like magic or miracles to those who have never seen such technology before. In other words, "God" could be aliens, but that doesn't mean the aliens are gods.
                      Last edited by unofan; 08-29-2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        When did you lose faith and what is that like?
                        College. A combination of evolving political & scientific views, and the priesthood child rape scandals did it for me. When you come to realize that most organized Christian churches are a farce, and that the Bible is full of contradictory language, it's pretty easy to brush it all away.

Comment

This is one of the biggest reasons I've lost faith in the faith community. Men interjecting their beliefs as if it were the word of God. Most individual rules are almost certainly bunk made up by someone in a position of power who wanted to screw someone else. Well, maybe not the murder part, but whatever. My point is that Man is fallible and an understanding of the general concept of "Be good, do good" is far more important than worrying about whether you should pull your azz out of a well on the Sabbath.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The only rule a person really needs to follow in life is, "Don't be a dick." I don't need the Bible to tell me that.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              I don't know about Catholics, but don't lump in us Lutherans with being Old Testament Jews. Christ set us free from "the Law" (the OT). We are not bound by it. We are not held accountable to it. We don't follow it. We are forgiven everything according to the New Testament.
                              Lutheranism traditionally still holds the Old Testament to be as much the Word of God as the New Testament. How the two interact and get interpreted varies from individual to individual, but Lutherans traditionally don't simply ignore the Old Testament as something less.
                              Last edited by unofan; 08-29-2017, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I don't know if I ever had true faith, any more than any child can when they don't know what they're actually doing. But I definitely prayed as a kid, and believed God was real, if only because it was never questioned. For me, as I got older, the inherent contradictions started me down the slippery slope to the point I am now. At some point I realized doubting Thomas gets a bad rap; it's not unreasonable to want proof, in fact it's the smart thing to do.

The flat out meanspiritedness of the religious right didn't help matters as I became more aware of politics, even though that is more evangelical protestants than Catholics.

For me, it ultimately comes down to a version of the "evil" paradox. Bad things happen to good people through no fault of their own. So either God can't intervene, in which case he's not really a god, or he chooses not to, in which case he's an ******* and not worthy of our devotion. And requiring blind devotion as a prerequisite for salvation is the sign of a narcissist, not a benevolent deity.

To the extent there may be higher powers out there in the universe somewhere, any sufficiently advanced technology will seem like magic or miracles to those who have never seen such technology before. In other words, "God" could be aliens, but that doesn't mean the aliens are gods.
                                Was a Unitarian (HERESY!1!11!1!) when I was a kid. I went the other way and am a Lutheran (ELCA- none of the exclusionist synods). I have no problem fitting my Faith in with doubts, science, evolution, or Politics.
                                -Politics- There are whole parts of the NT that deal with the Fundies and their misguidedness. They remind me of the Pharisees and the Sadducees that the Jesus chastised. They just never read the parts they should
                                -evolution- I can't see why God's day has to equal a human's day
                                -science- I see no reason why science contradicts religion except for those who are inflexible and don't have the ability to believe. Churches that struggle with that are missing the point
                                -doubts- Lutheranism is formed by a dude who doubted and was OK with it. I don't need to know everything or understand everything.
                                -bad stuff and good people- Some stuff sucks. I am not sure why it happens. My belief system re Predestination is sort of nebulous. I am not sure if God actively sets out to smite people who are dicks. I am not sure if God actively does stuff to people. I am not convinced he should rectify everything because there are too many moving parts and who deserves to get what they want. Sometimes what is good for one person might not be good for others. I find that in my life the one door closes but another one opens is spot on. I may not get what I think I need but I get what is needed

Comment

Working...
                                X