X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    But of course...

After seeing what happened to the SuperDome during/after Katrina, he didn't want the place to get dirty.

Also, maybe it is in an inaccessible location?? Like you'd have to walk on water to get there?

Agree, the optics stink.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

But of course...

Typical.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        The new testament wasn't written via human interpretation?
        You must admit there's a difference between the attribution of certain events to God by individuals in the OT...and specific statements, deeds and actions of Jesus in the New. The former were simple reports of outcomes as reported by humans...the latter were specific solutions given by the Word (i.e., God).

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Jesus wrote parts of the New Testament close to 100 years after being nailed to the crucifix. Fact.
        And therefore because it couldn't possibly be documented in some other form...it must be made up? Has to be a top five crutch excuse used to 'believe' God can't exist.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

But of course...

Good to see Christian based/founded organizations taking on significant amount of the Houston relief efforts - the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (NVOAD), the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and Catholic Charities USA to name a few.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricane-h...ry?id=49451305
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            You must admit there's a difference between the attribution of certain events to God by individuals in the OT...and specific statements, deeds and actions of Jesus in the New. The former were simple reports of outcomes as reported by humans...the latter were specific solutions given by the Word (i.e., God).
            Says you.

According to most major Christian denominations, including Catholicism, the Old Testament is just as much the Word of God as the New Testament.

And therefore because it couldn't possibly be documented in some other form...it must be made up?
            Not necessarily, but it's highly suspect that you casually throw out half the Bible as tainted by human hands while believing the other half is the literal Word of God. Seems consistency would demand you either believe it all, or none, rather than picking and choosing based on the fairly arbitrary BC vs. AD.

What, the Romans in 50 BC can't be trusted, but the apostles in 100 AD can be?
            Last edited by unofan; 08-28-2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              After seeing what happened to the SuperDome during/after Katrina, he didn't want the place to get dirty.

Also, maybe it is in an inaccessible location?? Like you'd have to walk on water to get there?

Agree, the optics stink.
              I just repped you but pretend I can again. You are on a roll

Comment

Subscribed because Joel osteen is one of the biggest pieces of **** out there.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Says you.
                  No, says the Bible.

According to most major Christian denominations, including Catholicism, the Old Testament is just as much the Word of God as the New Testament.

Not necessarily, but it's highly suspect that you casually throw out half the Bible as tainted by human hands while believing the other half is the literal Word of God. Seems consistency would demand you either believe it all, or none, rather than picking and choosing based on the fairly arbitrary BC vs. AD.

What, the Romans in 50 BC can't be trusted, but the apostles in 100 AD can be?
                  The Gospels redefined the Bible. Jesus is the Word ('the Word was made flesh'), 'fulfilled the law' and created the New Covenant. Romans in 50BC do not have the same weight as Jesus/God regardless of what a church says.

Perhaps I'm not as much of a OT literalist as many non believers here. I don't think I have advocated throwing out the 10 commandments, yet I don't think its 'against the rules' to believe that the OT is divinely inspired without it being literal.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Agree, the optics stink.
                    I'm pretty sure keeping the church clean is the least of Osteen's concerns.

He certainly has the money to help, if he wants to.

Good to see Christian based/founded organizations taking on significant amount of the Houston relief efforts - the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (NVOAD), the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and Catholic Charities USA to name a few.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricane-h...ry?id=49451305
                    This is true. Doesn't change the fact that there are major hypocrites out there, though. These "prosperity gospel" types are charlatans of the highest degree.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Subscribed because Joel osteen is one of the biggest pieces of **** out there.
                      Not to defend Joel Osteen, because your statement is pretty accurate, but the announcement did say it was because it was inaccessible due to severe flooding...
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I dunno...

http://www.snopes.com/is-osteens-megachurch-affected/
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

More and more images and posts showing up from people in the area who dispute the church's account.
                          Code:

Comment

Not necessarily, but it's highly suspect that you casually throw out half the Bible as tainted by human hands while believing the other half is the literal Word of God.
                            Just adding one clarification regarding my 'downplaying' much of the OT.

Jesus valued the 10 commandments (we should value it), He emphasized parts of the OT about loving your neighbor (we should too), he ignored a fair amount of it...and refuted parts of it ('eye for an eye'). Regardless of what a church may say, the Word edited the OT for us.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

This is true. Doesn't change the fact that there are major hypocrites out there, though. These "prosperity gospel" types are charlatans of the highest degree.
                              While I don't know enough to judge Osteen on this one...broadly speaking, you're 100% correct.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Just adding one clarification regarding my 'downplaying' much of the OT.

Jesus valued the 10 commandments (we should value it), He emphasized parts of the OT about loving your neighbor (we should too), he ignored a fair amount of it...and refuted parts of it ('eye for an eye'). Regardless of what a church may say, the Word edited the OT for us.
                                Again, so you say. The major sects of Christianity disagree, and your interpretation sure makes it sound like God farked up. Because if he didn't, then why would the divinely inspired Old Testament need editing.

Comment

Working...
                                X