X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    It would be funny if there wasn't an Ann Jacobsen in most towns in Flyover America.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      Scroll down to seethe 12:07pm article.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Scroll down to seethe 12:07pm article.
        It's actually pretty good.

I've been to Cedar Rapids. If that's holier, then She truly does work in mysterious ways.

Comment

So today is the "Feast of the Immaculate Conception."

As a kid, I had no clue what it was all about. I vaguely knew what "conception" was (okay, maybe more than "vaguely"....), but the "Immaculate" part made no sense to me.

Even now when I understand the technical meaning*, it still makes little sense to me.....

* It is what happens when you try to apply logic to theology, you wind up with a gnarly mess (IMHO, though I have no doubt there are a few Jesuits around who could actually explain it in a way that sounded like it made sense):
          -- because of "original" sin, at the moment of conception for everyone, their soul starts out already "stained" by that sin, sort of our collective hereditary burden.
          -- Jesus' resurrection gave us the possibility of redemption from that stain (along with all the other stains we then added by our own volition after we were born).
          -- How could the Mother of the Son of God have been stained by original sin?
          -- aha, she wasn't!
          -- That's the miracle of Her "immaculate" conception: at the moment Her dad's sperm entered Her mom's egg, uniquely in all human history past Adam and Eve up to that point, Mary's soul was the only one ever not afflicted with the stain of "original sin."
          Last edited by FreshFish; 12-08-2017, 12:21 PM.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

As a kid, I had no clue what it was all about. I vaguely knew what "conception" was (okay, maybe more than "vaguely"....), but the "Immaculate" part made no sense to me.
            Pretty sure it involved Franco < bleeping > Harris.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Even now when I understand the technical meaning*, it still makes little sense to me.....

* It is what happens when you try to apply logic to theology, you wind up with a gnarly mess (IMHO, though I have no doubt there are a few Jesuits around who could actually explain it in a way that sounded like it made sense):
              -- because of "original" sin, at the moment of conception for everyone, their soul starts out already "stained" by that sin, sort of our collective hereditary burden.
              -- Jesus' resurrection gave us the possibility of redemption from that stain (along with all the other stains we then added by our own volition after we were born).
              -- aha, she wasn't!
              -- That's the miracle of Her "immaculate" conception: at the moment Her dad's sperm entered Her mom's egg, uniquely in all human history past Adam and Eve up to that point, Mary's soul was the only one ever not afflicted with the stain of "original sin."
              God could not incarnate via a damaged vessel; hence, He had to create an undamaged one.

Thus The Big Guy created an undamaged vessel and by association Sts. Anne and Joachim had a child without Original Sin (who went on to ... well, you know the rest).
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                God could not incarnate via a damaged vessel; hence, He had to create an undamaged one.

Thus The Big Guy created an undamaged vessel and by association Sts. Anne and Joachim had a child without Original Sin (who went on to ... well, you know the rest).
                Does it matter to either of you (or to many christians, as far as you know) whether that story is fact or metaphor? It seems to me that 5mn, for instance, could accept it as metaphor (though that is a guess on my part, since I don't pretend to completely understand his faith).

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Does it matter to either of you (or to many christians, as far as you know) whether that story is fact or metaphor? It seems to me that 5mn, for instance, could accept it as metaphor (though that is a guess on my part, since I don't pretend to completely understand his faith).
                  For me personally, all religion is metaphor. I'm comfortable with 95% of just about all of them, since as far as I can tell, 95% of every one of them encourages us to behave the same way toward our fellow men and women, and I've read translations of source documents from most of the world's major religions.

My favorite reflection on religion is probably Roger Zelazny's novel Lord of Light.

My favorite religious text is Tao te Ching, and I think Bhagavad Gita would make a great movie (though I am totally unfamiliar with Bollywood, maybe they already made one?).
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

-- aha, she wasn't!
                    O Mary Concieved Without Sin, Pray for Us Who Have Recourse To Thee.

(words around a Miraculous Medal)
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

For me personally, all religion is metaphor.
                      So what's your take on the "Virgin Mary == Egyptian Isis" folks out there claiming all religion is Egyptian?

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

O Mary Concieved Without Sin, Pray for Us Who Have Recourse To Thee.

(words around a Miraculous Medal)
                        They put that on the edge of this?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/...c05a0efe_m.jpg
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

-- aha, she wasn't!
                          Ah, yes. Gotta love the Catholic church. Sex is dirty, so save it for the one you love, and then defile her as often as you can.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            Ah, yes. Gotta love the Catholic church. Sex is dirty, so save it for the one you love, and then defile her as often as you can.
                            No. You know better than that, or you believe the propaganda.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

No. You know better than that, or you believe the propaganda.
                              "Better to marry than to burn."
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                Yikes, and I thought I was the bitter, militant skeptic here.

Comment

Working...
                                X