Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    On the 3rd day, he created all the plant life. That presumably includes weed. You figure it out...
    This explains how he could create the sun on the fourth day.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    This explains how he could create the sun on the fourth day.
    < thought bubble >
    Why isn't this darn stuff growing? ... Aw-w-w crap.
    < snaps fingers >
    < sunlight >
    Much better.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    You figure it out...

North Dakota Hockey:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    < thought bubble >
    Why isn't this darn stuff growing? ... Aw-w-w crap.
    < snaps fingers >
    < sunlight >
    Much better.

He was growing pot, what was wrong with UV?

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    It would be funny if there wasn't an Ann Jacobsen in most towns in Flyover America.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Scroll down to seethe 12:07pm article.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Scroll down to seethe 12:07pm article.
    It's actually pretty good.

I've been to Cedar Rapids. If that's holier, then She truly does work in mysterious ways.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

So today is the "Feast of the Immaculate Conception."

As a kid, I had no clue what it was all about. I vaguely knew what "conception" was (okay, maybe more than "vaguely"....), but the "Immaculate" part made no sense to me.

Even now when I understand the technical meaning*, it still makes little sense to me.....

* It is what happens when you try to apply logic to theology, you wind up with a gnarly mess (IMHO, though I have no doubt there are a few Jesuits around who could actually explain it in a way that sounded like it made sense):
    -- because of "original" sin, at the moment of conception for everyone, their soul starts out already "stained" by that sin, sort of our collective hereditary burden.
    -- Jesus' resurrection gave us the possibility of redemption from that stain (along with all the other stains we then added by our own volition after we were born).
    -- How could the Mother of the Son of God have been stained by original sin?
    -- aha, she wasn't!
    -- That's the miracle of Her "immaculate" conception: at the moment Her dad's sperm entered Her mom's egg, uniquely in all human history past Adam and Eve up to that point, Mary's soul was the only one ever not afflicted with the stain of "original sin."
    Last edited by FreshFish; 12-08-2017 at 01:21 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post

As a kid, I had no clue what it was all about. I vaguely knew what "conception" was (okay, maybe more than "vaguely"....), but the "Immaculate" part made no sense to me.
    Pretty sure it involved Franco < bleeping > Harris.

North Dakota Hockey:

Kichizapi Chetan

Even now when I understand the technical meaning*, it still makes little sense to me.....

* It is what happens when you try to apply logic to theology, you wind up with a gnarly mess (IMHO, though I have no doubt there are a few Jesuits around who could actually explain it in a way that sounded like it made sense):
    -- because of "original" sin, at the moment of conception for everyone, their soul starts out already "stained" by that sin, sort of our collective hereditary burden.
    -- Jesus' resurrection gave us the possibility of redemption from that stain (along with all the other stains we then added by our own volition after we were born).
    -- aha, she wasn't!
    -- That's the miracle of Her "immaculate" conception: at the moment Her dad's sperm entered Her mom's egg, uniquely in all human history past Adam and Eve up to that point, Mary's soul was the only one ever not afflicted with the stain of "original sin."
    God could not incarnate via a damaged vessel; hence, He had to create an undamaged one.

Thus The Big Guy created an undamaged vessel and by association Sts. Anne and Joachim had a child without Original Sin (who went on to ... well, you know the rest).

North Dakota Hockey:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    God could not incarnate via a damaged vessel; hence, He had to create an undamaged one.

Thus The Big Guy created an undamaged vessel and by association Sts. Anne and Joachim had a child without Original Sin (who went on to ... well, you know the rest).
    Does it matter to either of you (or to many christians, as far as you know) whether that story is fact or metaphor? It seems to me that 5mn, for instance, could accept it as metaphor (though that is a guess on my part, since I don't pretend to completely understand his faith).

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Does it matter to either of you (or to many christians, as far as you know) whether that story is fact or metaphor? It seems to me that 5mn, for instance, could accept it as metaphor (though that is a guess on my part, since I don't pretend to completely understand his faith).
    For me personally, all religion is metaphor. I'm comfortable with 95% of just about all of them, since as far as I can tell, 95% of every one of them encourages us to behave the same way toward our fellow men and women, and I've read translations of source documents from most of the world's major religions.

My favorite reflection on religion is probably Roger Zelazny's novel Lord of Light.

My favorite religious text is Tao te Ching, and I think Bhagavad Gita would make a great movie (though I am totally unfamiliar with Bollywood, maybe they already made one?).
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

-- aha, she wasn't!
    O Mary Concieved Without Sin, Pray for Us Who Have Recourse To Thee.

(words around a Miraculous Medal)

Kichizapi Chetan

For me personally, all religion is metaphor.
    So what's your take on the "Virgin Mary == Egyptian Isis" folks out there claiming all religion is Egyptian?

North Dakota Hockey:

Lucia Apologist

O Mary Concieved Without Sin, Pray for Us Who Have Recourse To Thee.

(words around a Miraculous Medal)
    They put that on the edge of this?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/...c05a0efe_m.jpg

-- aha, she wasn't!
    Ah, yes. Gotta love the Catholic church. Sex is dirty, so save it for the one you love, and then defile her as often as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Ah, yes. Gotta love the Catholic church. Sex is dirty, so save it for the one you love, and then defile her as often as you can.
    No. You know better than that, or you believe the propaganda.

No. You know better than that, or you believe the propaganda.
    "Better to marry than to burn."

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Yikes, and I thought I was the bitter, militant skeptic here.

Thread Information