This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Faith groups do provide the bulk of disaster recovery...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ema/651007001/

The Seventh Day Adventists, over several decades, have established a unique expertise in disaster “warehousing” collecting, logging, organizing and distributing relief supplies, in cooperation with government disaster response agencies.

The United Methodist Committee on Relief is known for its expertise in “case management.” After the initial cleanup — where the Methodists have work crews helping pull mud out of houses — the church sends trained volunteers into the wreckage to help families navigate the maze of FEMA assistance, state aid programs and private insurance to help them rebuild their lives. The group have 20,000 trained volunteers around the country who can be called up for "early response teams," basically small crews that can help with debris removal and home cleanup, said Cathy Earl, UMCOR's director of disaster programs.

The Convoy of Hope, a non-denominational Christian organization, specializes in feeding. Before Hurricane Irma made landfall in Florida, the Springfield, Mo.,-based Convoy had three trailer trucks stocked with food, water and sanitary supplies parked in the state waiting to deploy to areas hardest hit, said spokesman Jeff Nene.

Samaritan’s Purse, an evangelical aid group run by Rev. Franklin Graham, has trucks at the ready in Florida with chainsaws and debris removal experts to help clean up houses. After initial cleanup, the group has contracting services available to help the needy rebuild their homes. The group has responded to 20 disasters already this year, said Luther Harrison, vice president of North American Ministries for Samaritan’s Purse.

...ok...now back to your steady stream of negativity.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major
      now back to your steady stream of negativity.
      When people make negative statements about abuses of faith that doesn't reflect on faith per se. That's like somebody claiming that the conviction of Harvey Glatman was anti-semitic.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        When people make negative statements about abuses of faith that doesn't reflect on faith per se.
        Don't you find it odd that you post strictly and continuously on abuses of faith...and not any other abuses? If I start a thread on education, will your day be filled with posting abuses of education?
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Don't you find it odd that you post strictly and continuously on abuses of faith...and not any other abuses? If I start a thread on education, will your day be filled with posting abuses of education?
          In what universe do you live? Do you read the political forums on here?
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Don't you find it odd that you post strictly and continuously on abuses of faith...and not any other abuses?
            On this thread? No, for some reason I don't find it odd at all.

As for "strictly," my posts in the last week have been about the finer technical points of hypostates and early Christian doctrine, as they are from time to time. Those just don't summon your wahmbulance.

Religion is far too rich and broad to be wholly negative or positive about. You're burnt because I am utterly dismissive of religious literalism as a childish mistaking of the map for the territory and too often a malevolent tool deliberately wielded by charlatans to inspire the weak-minded to bigotry and violence. You cloak your resentment by ostentatiously wrapping that target of literalism in the garb of all religion, perhaps out of chicanery but more likely because as a purblind fundamentalist you sincerely jam all religion into that tight, mentally and morally asphyxiating, box*.

It is natural to lash out at someone who calls your heartfelt beliefs sanctimonious rubbish. And your heartfelt beliefs are sanctimonious rubbish.

But... and this is important... not anybody else's.

Just yours.

* "When I mention religion, I mean the Christian religion; and not only the Christian religion, but the Protestant religion; and not only the Protestant religion, but the Church of England!" -- Thwackum, Tom Jones, Henry Fielding
            Last edited by Kepler; 09-11-2017, 10:09 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Classic Christian Persecution Complex. And you have it in spades.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

It is natural to lash out at someone who calls your heartfelt beliefs sanctimonious rubbish. And your heartfelt beliefs are sanctimonious rubbish.
                I have nothing negative to say to you about your beliefs...which is our difference.

But... and this is important... not anybody else's.

Just yours.
                As someone who posts so much negativity in this thread, a b&w atheist calling my faith bs is a complement. 'Rubbish' just adds charm.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  I have nothing negative to say to you about your beliefs...which is our difference.
                  So you have nothing to say about nothing? Bold strategy Cotton...
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Says the guy who has previously argued that atheists have contributed nothing to philosophy or society.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Says the guy who has previously argued that atheists have contributed nothing to philosophy or society.
                      Not true. I have always fully agreed that atheists have contributed to philosophy and society.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      So you have nothing to say about nothing? Bold strategy Cotton...
                      Even if you don't believe, you still have a belief.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Not true. I have always fully agreed that atheists have contributed to philosophy and society.

Would you like direct quotes where your religion/theory of nothing have been spouted on this site? They been repeated more than once.

If you don't believe, then you have no belief. I know it's tough for you to believe that, but it's true. I have no belief. It's not something I believe, it's a matter of fact - I have no belief.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

No. You don't have a belief concerning Ishtar. Ishtar is simply not in your scope of beliefs. She is not in the universe of your existants; her absence is not an existant. A negation is not a positive thing.

There are literally an infinite number of made up gods that aren't in your scope. An atheist merely adds yours.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            In what universe do you live? Do you read the political forums on here?
                            Saved me typing. The obvious answer is in the Alt Universe (ba-dum tsssshhhhh)

As someone who posts so much negativity in this thread, a b&w atheist calling my faith bs is a complement. 'Rubbish' just adds charm.
                            If this isn't revisionist history.... Or perhaps I need a translator to understand things better. I already need one for everything to do with government. I could be slipping and need one for reading comprehension as well.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Would you like direct quotes where your religion/theory of nothing have been spouted on this site? They been repeated more than once.

If you don't believe, then you have no belief. I know it's tough for you to believe that, but it's true. I have no belief. It's not something I believe, it's a matter of fact - I have no belief.
                              5mn thinks someone who is not a stamp collector has the hobby of Active Collector Of No Stamps.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Contrary to FTB and in spite of your moving goal post, my position is/was that Atheists provide plenty of value. Yet Atheism is unlikely to be the contributing factor. It is really just a doctrine of 'no' towards faith...and offers little else from which anyone could get positive inspiration/direction. And no evidence has been provided to the contrary (but I don't have time to continue this discussion at this point).

If you don't believe me...look it up. But I am very meticulous as posters here too often resort to 'gotcha' when they don't have anything else.

No. You don't have a belief concerning Ishtar. Ishtar is simply not in your scope of beliefs.
                                Argument for argument sake?

Definition of belief - something that is accepted, considered to be true, or held as an opinion
                                https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/belief

Does Kepler not have an opinion on the matter?
                                Last edited by 5mn_Major; 09-11-2017, 03:28 PM.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X