This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

If believing there's a man in the sky makes you do nice things, then good -- do that.

If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you are.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      If believing there's a man in the sky makes you do nice things, then good -- do that.
      You still don't get it. This has nothing to do with 'believing there's a man in the sky'. It has to do with the content giving support to millions. But if disbelieving there's a man in the sky gives you reason to feel superior -- do that.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        You still don't get it. This has nothing to do with 'believing there's a man in the sky'. It has to do with the content giving support to millions. But if disbelieving there's a man in the sky gives you reason to feel superior -- do that.
        Tough to square that outlook with the first commandment, but I digress since we've beaten that horse to death.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Tough to square that outlook with the first commandment, but I digress since we've beaten that horse to death.
          Hopefully not on the sabbath.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            But if disbelieving there's a man in the sky gives you reason to feel superior -- do that.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Jesus' ministry was not spent showing how to believe...it was based on how to behave/love - which was supported by many other commandments. The miracles were about improving the lives of others. In the end, God is love. Its all rather simple.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Jesus' ministry was not spent showing how to believe...it was based on how to behave/love - which was supported by many other commandments. The miracles were about improving the lives of others. In the end, God is love. Its all rather simple.
                Do you believe in the Apostles' Creed?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Do you believe in the Apostles' Creed?
                  Its a prayer. And I use it if that's what you mean.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Especially when raining Hellfire on two different cities. Can you feel the love?
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

How do you use it? Do you accept the literal meaning of the words? I understand "literal meaning" is not terribly useful,

Comment

I thought its purpose was to be a statement of beliefs equivalent to reaffirming your baptism every time you say it.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          I thought its purpose was to be a statement of beliefs equivalent to reaffirming your baptism every time you say it.
                          I suppose it depends on your denomination.

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          How do you use it? Do you accept the literal meaning of the words? I understand "literal meaning" is not terribly useful,
                          I do accept them. And I get why its important - its a reaffirmation that's easy. But I don't use it often and neither do other Christians I know. In fact, I feel there are better directions to go with prayer. Because the AC content does not come from the prayer and is not directed towards either an outcome or God's approach.

Recently I attended a course called Alpha (Christianity 101) often attended by the faith curious. The first day was primarily spent making the case for God. I told everyone I didn't think it was the correct approach and it should have been focused on 'who is God'. In the end, one shouldn't consider marriage unless they know their spouse.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Thing is, I really like what I understand to be 5mn's philosophy of christianity. Where I lose contact is his readiness to distinguish between christians and others who have a similar philosophy about living but may be muslim, agnostic, or athiest. Religion can be (and usually is) highly metaphorical, and religious texts can be the most elegant and demanding writing out there. But I struggle to understand 5mn on a very basic level, and that is why I asked what the Apostles' Creed means to him. Is any part of that attestation necessary to being "christian?"

edit: this reads like a third person message to you, 5mn. I was just responding to les.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              That and the Nicean Creed. This is what we believe. This is what we stand for.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

In the end, God is love. Its all rather simple.
                                You still don't get it. Nobody is arguing that God is not a way. The fallacy is God is the way.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X