X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Hard to make a contribution to a locked box.
    I'll pray to give you strength.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Translation: "I'm going to do nothing except act humbly smug towards you while thinking I've contributed something of value to society."
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Translation: "I'm going to do nothing except act humbly smug towards you while thinking I've contributed something of value to society."
        Speaking of adding tangible value...

The largest charities of 2017 are out. Four of the top 5 were founded by Christian ideals and are still inspired - with faith being a common thread throughout the line up again this year.

1. The United Way
        2. Taskforce for Global Health
        3. Feeding America
        4. Salvation Army
        5. St. Jude Childrens

https://www.forbes.com/top-charities/list/#tab:rank
        Go Gophers!

Comment

The largest charities of 2017 are out. Four of the top 5 were founded by Christian ideals and are still inspired - with faith being a common thread throughout the line up again this year.

1. The United Way
          3. Feeding America
          4. Salvation Army
          5. St. Jude Childrens

And which four are they? Because you should know that St. Jude isn't a faith-based or even faith-affiliated organization.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

1. The United Way
            3. Feeding America
            4. Salvation Army
            5. St. Jude Childrens

In what way is that charity list related to the non-action of you praying for someone else to have strength? What relation does your single act of inaction have to do with charities that were founded through religion? You're not rebutting anything I stated, only pivoting openly and badly.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

It's like arguing with a Trumper. Just let it be -- on other topics he can be rational.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                And which four are they? Because you should know that St. Jude isn't a faith-based or even faith-affiliated organization.
                Not according to its founder.

This idea resulted from a promise that Danny Thomas, a Maronite Catholic, had made to a saint years before the hospital was founded.

Thomas was a comedian who was struggling to get a break in his career and living paycheck to paycheck. When his first child was about to be born, he attended Mass in Detroit and put his last $7.00 in the offering bin. He prayed to St. Jude Thaddeus for a means to provide for his family, and about a week later, he obtained a gig that paid 10 times what he had put in the offering bin. After that time, Thomas believed in the power of prayer. He promised St. Jude Thaddeus that if he made him successful, he would one day build him a shrine. Years later, Thomas became an extremely successful comedian and built St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital as a shrine to St. Jude Thaddeus to honor his promise.

https://www.stjude.org/about-st-jude.html
                Go Gophers!

Comment

In what way is that charity list related to the non-action of you praying for someone else to have strength? What relation does your single act of inaction have to do with charities that were founded through religion? You're not rebutting anything I stated, only pivoting openly and badly.
                  So beyond taking a personal shot, what was your point?
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    Hard to make a contribution to a locked box.
                    So beyond taking a personal shot, what was your point?
                    Calling you out on the obtuseness of your reply. Is that not readily apparent?

Comment

Not according to its founder.

This idea resulted from a promise that Danny Thomas, a Maronite Catholic, had made to a saint years before the hospital was founded.

Thomas was a comedian who was struggling to get a break in his career and living paycheck to paycheck. When his first child was about to be born, he attended Mass in Detroit and put his last $7.00 in the offering bin. He prayed to St. Jude Thaddeus for a means to provide for his family, and about a week later, he obtained a gig that paid 10 times what he had put in the offering bin. After that time, Thomas believed in the power of prayer. He promised St. Jude Thaddeus that if he made him successful, he would one day build him a shrine. Years later, Thomas became an extremely successful comedian and built St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital as a shrine to St. Jude Thaddeus to honor his promise.

https://www.stjude.org/about-st-jude.html
                      You must have missed this line:
                      We are not a Catholic hospital, nor are we affiliated with any religious organization. Our founder, Danny Thomas, was Catholic, and St. Jude Thaddeus was his patron Saint. Learn more about our history and how the hospital was founded.
                      https://www.stjude.org/about-st-jude...na-for-me.html
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Calling you out on the obtuseness of your reply.
                        Of course, you wouldn't understand. Probably enough hard feelings already, so let's move on....the conversation reminds me of a poll that's kind of dated, but very relevant today.

Highly religious people say they’re happier, too, survey finds

And many are smiling. Four in 10 highly religious people say they’re “very happy” with the way things are going in life, compared to 29 percent of those who are not highly religious. But, “we don’t know why they are happier“ or more satisfied with their health, said Pew researcher Besheer Mohamed, a co-author of the report. “We see the patterns but we don’t know what is causing what. Is it that regular churchgoers get something from the church practice and involvement or is it that a certain sort of person is more likely to go to worship more frequently?” he said.

Pew religious landscape research poll 2016
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Highly religious people say they’re happier
                          So are highly stoned people.

Out of your argle bargle there was one truism, though. Frequent churchgoers have a social group in which they have interactions. That is very healthy and it leads to happiness.

Atheists need an equivalent to church -- a place we want to go and a place where we meet other people we like. We have it in college and grad school but those things end before we're 30. Work doesn't count because we don't want to be there and we certainly don't want to be with the people we meet there. Unitarians don't count because they're pathologically lame.

We need a Church For the Non-Superstitious, or something like that. The problem is atheists are by definition skeptical, independent, and not joiners. So it is a dilemma which so far has not been solved.

You've given me something to think about, though. I've always wanted to found a religion and get rich. Now, a church congregation of atheists would have fewer suckers, which is bad, but it would have a significantly higher median of talented and successful "elitists" to fleece, which would be good.

I'll report back on my progress until I'm on the cover of Time.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 03-07-2018, 06:18 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Out of your argle bargle there was one truism, though. Frequent churchgoers have a social group in which they have interactions. That is very healthy and it leads to happiness.

Atheists need an equivalent to church -- a place we want to go and a place where we meet other people we like. We have it in college and grad school but those things end before we're 30. Work doesn't count because we don't want to be there and we certainly don't want to be with the people we meet there.

We need a Church For the Non-Superstitious, or something like that. The problem is atheists tend to be skeptical, independent, and not joiners. So it is a dilemma which so far has not been solved.

You've given me something to think about, though. I've always wanted to found a religion and get rich. Now, a church congregation of atheists would have fewer suckers, which is bad, but it would have a significantly higher median of talented and successful "elitists" to fleece, which would be good.

I'll report back on my progress until I'm on the cover of Time.
                            Despite severe depression, I'm happier because I came out and decided to transition. I'm especially happy because I finally found social support and others like me, especially in an area like Holland, MI (Dutch conservative country). And I'm also happy because my life seems to be turning around for a change.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Didn't miss it. Affiliation was never part of the doctrine and Thomas' vision is still firmly in place. But if you have a super high standard for affiliation, there are plenty of other charities that fit that bill too.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              If a joint would help folks around here be a bit more positive...I'm down with it.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                Despite severe depression, I'm happier because I came out and decided to transition. I'm especially happy because I finally found social support and others like me, especially in an area like Holland, MI (Dutch conservative country). And I'm also happy because my life seems to be turning around for a change.
                                I think that's the healthiest thing I've heard in a long time.

I beat the catalepsy of depression by blowing everything to bits and taking everything familiar and habitual, putting three mountain ranges and 3300 miles between it and me, and burning every bridge back. I do not recommend it, but it worked for me. I think it was possible because there's a kernel of hardcore misanthropic loner in me (I know, I amaze you) that I can summon when things have gotten right down to the bottom of the coffee can and the next page is a noose but unless you both have a fully armored central chamber of fury and you hate being there and will immediate exit the second the danger has passed, it's not a good way.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X