• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Meanwhile.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      1) 100% of the articles posted here are cherry-picked negative towards Christians - a common atheist approach to paint all Christians as bad

Comment

After all, every point of view deserves a second side.
        BS. 99% of this board condemns white supremacy (sorry, Flag), but I don't see you on here klamoring for konsideration of their views. Where are your vociferous defenses of Trump, who is very much a second-sider on this board?
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          BS. 99% of this board condemns white supremacy (sorry, Flag), but I don't see you on here klamoring for konsideration of their views. Where are your vociferous defenses of Trump, who is very much a second-sider on this board?
          Soo...everyone who believes in freedom of speech and the right to defense should be forced to argue all sides of every point?
          Go Gophers!

Comment

I think this thread could use more religious dialog. I'm currently drawn to this concept of comparatives - knowing what you aren't helps illuminate what you are. And so I'm expecting to post some more musings.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Thoughts:

Facebook is a terrible place for religious discussion too. Especially if certain people think posting single Bible verses and mindless prayers is their "witness" for today. Puzzles me that when atheists take verses out of context, it's bad, but when Christians do it, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Apparently, taking verses out of context is bad, but we can cherry pick from Leviticus at will. Uh, no. Either we take the entire Bible in context, or we're free to cherry pick the entire thing.

It's clear that spiritually, some people aren't worthy of solid food. Oh, they've warmed pews for countless years, but when it's time to get down and dirty, they don't want to.

Went through the Bible and where the characters took decisive action, I replaced it with "thoughts and prayers." Was totally depressed. Then again, "thoughts and prayers and Jesus will fix it" is what I'm seeing these days.

I'm sure I could go back to my old church and try and educate them on LGBT issues. But when you're telling me "you can control your tendencies," I'd have an easier time nailing Jello to a tree.

Even Christianity is a strip mall... if you don't like what you're hearing in one denomination, you can go to the next.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Thanks for coming to the table. Some interesting stuff here.

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                Facebook is a terrible place for religious discussion too. Especially if certain people think posting single Bible verses and mindless prayers is their "witness" for today.
                FB is bad for many types of personal discussions - politics being biggie. I'm guessing some had really positive experiences. You can always inform them that you don't appreciate their postings.

Puzzles me that when atheists take verses out of context, it's bad, but when Christians do it, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Apparently, taking verses out of context is bad, but we can cherry pick from Leviticus at will. Uh, no. Either we take the entire Bible in context, or we're free to cherry pick the entire thing.
                While the general concept is on surface correct, I would disagree with its application. Why? Because of chronology.

The world changes. Mores change. People change. Are criminals not capable of being rehabilitated?

The broader point is that Jesus changed the narrative. The change is one of the most fundamental parts of the faith. Indeed, Christianity is not defined as following in the footsteps of the Bible...but rather following in the footsteps of Jesus. Why have the OT then? Because it lays the foundation...but the Gospels are the faith.

It's clear that spiritually, some people aren't worthy of solid food. Oh, they've warmed pews for countless years, but when it's time to get down and dirty, they don't want to.

Went through the Bible and where the characters took decisive action, I replaced it with "thoughts and prayers." Was totally depressed. Then again, "thoughts and prayers and Jesus will fix it" is what I'm seeing these days.

I'm sure I could go back to my old church and try and educate them on LGBT issues. But when you're telling me "you can control your tendencies," I'd have an easier time nailing Jello to a tree.

Even Christianity is a strip mall... if you don't like what you're hearing in one denomination, you can go to the next.
                I don't know if people just don't want to get their hands dirty. From where I come, there are two common types of Christians: those who help others and those who need help. This dual role situation isn't merely acceptable, its pretty cool. Moral support is one type of assistance. As a business strategist, I have offered help in mentorship...another important form of support. Anyways, I'm guessing some of those you're referring to with 'thoughts and prayers' have been recipients of help...while others are out helping to fix urban blight, for example. Faith, at least the Christian faith, is an open and free marketplace for personal help.

Additionally, in many ways church is like food, news or healthcare. Everyone has an opinion as to what is right. But don't go and eat McDonalds every day just because they're selling it. Unlike those other offerings, the exact message in Christianity is there for everyone to see. There are many amazing, innovative churches that get it. They are inclusive, focus on the heart of the matter and make everything very actionable.
                Last edited by 5mn_Major; 04-15-2018, 11:33 AM.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Thanks for coming to the table. Some interesting stuff here.

FB is bad for many types of personal discussions - politics being biggie. I'm guessing some had really positive experiences. You can always inform them that you don't appreciate their postings.

While the general concept is on surface correct, I would disagree with its application. Why? Because of chronology.

The world changes. Mores change. People change. Are criminals not capable of being rehabilitated?

The broader point is that Jesus changed the narrative. The change is one of the most fundamental parts of the faith. Indeed, Christianity is not defined as following in the footsteps of the Bible...but rather following in the footsteps of Jesus. Why have the OT then? Because it lays the foundation...but the Gospels are the faith.

I don't know if people just don't want to get their hands dirty. From where I come, there are two common types of Christians: those who help others and those who need help. This dual role situation isn't merely acceptable, its pretty cool. Moral support is one type of assistance. As a business strategist, I have offered help in mentorship...another important form of support. Anyways, I'm guessing some of those you're referring to with 'thoughts and prayers' have been recipients of help...while others are out helping to fix urban blight, for example. Faith, at least the Christian faith, is an open and free marketplace for personal help.

Additionally, in many ways church is like food, news or healthcare. Everyone has an opinion as to what is right. But don't go and eat McDonalds every day just because they're selling it. Unlike those other offerings, the exact message in Christianity is there for everyone to see. There are many amazing, innovative churches that get it. They are inclusive, focus on the heart of the matter and make everything very actionable.
                  Not even that. Talking about people who never got past Psalm 23. People who have a 3rd grade understanding of Scripture.

Actually, "thoughts and prayers" are the Christian who can see the situation needs help, but refuse to do anything. Thoughts and prayers have to be followed by action or they're just empty words.
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Indeed, Christianity is not defined as following in the footsteps of the Bible...but rather following in the footsteps of Jesus. Why have the OT then? Because it lays the foundation...but the Gospels are the faith.
                    My problem with this is it's still incompatible with a supposedly infallible, omnipotent deity. If the God of Abraham is infallible, and Jesus is God made flesh, why did the narrative need changing?

And we've gone round and round before on how mainstream Christianity relies on more than just the 4 gospels. Again, you don't have to believe that, but you do have to acknowledge that your interpretation doesn't match up with the majority of others.
                    Last edited by unofan; 04-15-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      My problem with this is it's still incompatible with a supposedly infallible, omnipotent deity. If the God of Abraham is infallible, and Jesus is God made flesh, why did the narrative need changing?

And we've gone round and round before on how mainstream Christianity relies on more than just the 4 gospels. Again, you don't have to believe that, but you do have to acknowledge that your interpretation doesn't match up with the majority of others.
                      And Jesus did come to fulfill the Law.

Comment

closing the thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X