Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728
Results 541 to 552 of 552

Thread: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

  1. #541
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    28,493

    Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

    Did anyone ever wonder why God, who made the world, couldn't use just any vessel? The twist the Church gets in to explain some of this stuff is mind boggling.

  2. #542
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,668

    Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Did anyone ever wonder why God, who made the world, couldn't use just any vessel?
    If God is as old as the universe, maybe he had grown a little infirm by that time and was missing things he might not have missed several billion years earlier. That might also explain why he felt it was time to get his son involved in the business.

  3. #543

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,021

    Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    If God is as old as the universe, maybe he had grown a little infirm by that time and was missing things he might not have missed several billion years earlier. That might also explain why he felt it was time to get his son involved in the business.
    And of course then His son had his own ideas which led to conflict between them. And from what 5mn has said the son eventually had the old guy put away.

    Sad story, really.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  4. #544
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,668

    Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    And of course then His son had his own ideas which led to conflict between them. And from what 5mn has said the son eventually had the old guy put away.

    Sad story, really.
    Sad, but what a Broadway production for the producer with the stones to take it on. A grand mix of Milton, Sophocles, and Shakespeare.

  5. #545

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,021

    Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Sad, but what a Broadway production for the producer with the stones to take it on. A grand mix of Milton, Sophocles, and Shakespeare.
    "There's a Eugène Ionesco on line 3, sir."
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  6. #546

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,572
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    If God is as old as the universe, maybe he had grown a little infirm by that time and was missing things he might not have missed several billion years earlier. That might also explain why he felt it was time to get his son involved in the business.
    God has no age. He is. He never was and never will be.

  7. #547
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,668

    Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    God has no age. He is. He never was and never will be.
    So that black clarinet player I saw at Jazz Fest in Nola in 2002 was not him?

    I was so sure.

  8. #548

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,021

    Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

    Dump unites the world.

    In a statement released on Saturday, the Coptic Church said it "excused itself from hosting Mike Pence" when he visits Egypt, citing US President Donald Trump's decision made "at an unsuitable time and without consideration for the feelings of millions of people." Egypt's Coptic Church said it would pray for "wisdom and to address all issues that impact peace for the people of the Middle East."

    The decision comes a day after Egypt's top Muslim cleric Ahmed al-Tayeb also refused to meet Pence.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  9. #549
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    28,493

    Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Dump unites the world.
    Over the last several weeks there have been numerous statements (mostly uncovered by the mainstream) of various church leaders, here and abroad, denouncing tRump and his regime. The Anglicans, the big bunch of pastors in Alabama, the Pope just to name a few. A little late IMHO. The time to be denouncing things was when his rhetoric was so nasty before he got elected.

  10. #550
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,309

    Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Over the last several weeks there have been numerous statements (mostly uncovered by the mainstream) of various church leaders, here and abroad, denouncing tRump and his regime. The Anglicans, the big bunch of pastors in Alabama, the Pope just to name a few. A little late IMHO. The time to be denouncing things was when his rhetoric was so nasty before he got elected.
    It hasn't cost him a single member of the Deplorable 37% though, and it never will.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  11. #551

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,021

    Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    It hasn't cost him a single member of the Deplorable 37% though, and it never will.
    The more it is pointed out how disgusting the Republicans are, the more their voters feel attacked, the stronger they hold to them.

    Classic cult psychology.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  12. #552
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    38,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    The more it is pointed out how disgusting the Republicans are, the more their voters feel attacked, the stronger they hold to them.

    Classic cult psychology.
    "Why don't you vote Republican?"

    Why would I vote for a party that says I'm going to rape your daughter in a Target bathroom? Why would I vote for a party that says if I marry a nice boy, that I'm destroying the sanctity of marriage?

    It is getting better for me. The worst of the reactions are over for now. I decided to transition. At work, I'm in a good place. HR director says I can come to work how I want.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •