This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Super stoked! I just sponsored a small boy in Swaziland for a year today. Actually the way World Vision does it...is that most of the funds go to getting clean water, shelter and improving education, and making it all sustainable. But I made sure 20% went to the family as well. In addition, I purchased goats and a pair chickens for several needy families. That stuff is important because it both helps feed the family...but also is an income generator.

What's even better is that today an outside organization is matching that donation 100%! If anyone is interested...it ends at 8pm tonight and you can do it on World Vision's website or by phone - 888 511 6548.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Super stoked! I just sponsored a small boy in Swaziland for a year today. Actually the way World Vision does it...is that most of the funds go to getting clean water, shelter and improving education, and making it all sustainable. But I made sure 20% went to the family as well. In addition, I purchased goats and a pair chickens for several needy families. That stuff is important because it both helps feed the family...but also is an income generator.

What's even better is that today an outside organization is matching that donation 100%! If anyone is interested...it ends at 8pm tonight and you can do it on World Vision's website or by phone - 888 511 6548.
      A friend of mine who served in the Peace Corps in Africa after teaching here for many years said he was hired to teach but initially spent a significant amount of his time developing clean water supply so the kids would not have to spend their school day fetching water from a remote location.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        A friend of mine who served in the Peace Corps in Africa after teaching here for many years said he was hired to teach but initially spent a significant amount of his time developing clean water supply so the kids would not have to spend their school day fetching water from a remote location.
        Yeah, that's a big problem. Also security is not great, so that often those distant trips to wells become either dangerous due to kidnapping or just become too dangerous to make the trip...so folks have to do without clean water. Human trafficking is another key area that's being addressed (and something I'm looking into personally).
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Guy puts a nativity scene on front lawn with 2 Josephs and an infant Jesus.

Line crossed or acceptable?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

It's all fan fiction anyway.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The point at which I would notice is when he starts throwing the plastic idols through my front window.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

What line, Joe?

Bad taste? IMO yes, other reasonable people might think otherwise.

Offensive? Not to me, but I could see how some other reasonable people might be offended.

Line at which vigilante vandalism is warranted? No.

Line at which governmental action is warranted? Not even close.

Line at which the people who put up the display are unqualified to be a Senator from Alabama? Depends on your politics.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                    What line, Joe?

Bad taste? IMO yes, other reasonable people might think otherwise.

Offensive? Not to me, but I could see how some other reasonable people might be offended.

Line at which vigilante vandalism is warranted? No.

Line at which governmental action is warranted? Not even close.

Line at which the people who put up the display are unqualified to be a Senator from Alabama? Depends on your politics.
                    Better said. The bad taste for me is primarily because it differs from the original story with the sole purpose of making a political statement...in stark contrast to the positive giving spirit of Christmas.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

It's a real-life form of trolling. You should be used to that by now, having hung around these threads for years.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        It's a real-life form of trolling. You should be used to that by now, having hung around these threads for years.
                        Or it's just humor. Not everything's about you, Christians.

For that matter, the Thumpers themselves stole the nativity from eastern mystery cults (like they stole most of the details of scripture).

Take it up with Mithras, joe.

<-- 400 BC
                        Last edited by Kepler; 11-29-2017, 11:43 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Or it's just humor. Not everything's about you, Christians.

Oh sweet jesus. I'm so doing that one year in my front lawn.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            Better said. The bad taste for me is primarily because it differs from the original story with the sole purpose of making a political statement...in stark contrast to the positive giving spirit of Christmas.
                            I'm sorry, but both are political statements if one is.
                            Code:
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Oh sweet jesus. I'm so doing that one year in my front lawn.
                              Others:

Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Others:
                                Oh man, the liquor one even has the three wise men right.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X