• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

More Thumper fun.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Patheos is "extreme atheist" in the way that conservatives think liberal judges are "terrorists".

To man with only a hammer...
      LOL no kidding. Who in their right mind sees Hemant Mehta as extremist?
      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
        LOL no kidding. Who in their right mind sees Hemant Mehta as extremist?
        "Now some say he looked like Hemant Mehta..."
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Agreed. An extremist atheist website being outraged that a candidate for chaplain, who pronounces the merits of atheistic champlains, is certainly derpworthy.
          The merits of a humanist chaplin.
          Humanism is something I can get behind, and I think a Humanist chaplin would be a great asset for our military personnel that don't believe in a particular dogma. He could even be a good resource for those that are followers of a religion. (If you question that, think of how a non-believer can still gain things from a church service)
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

What does a non-believer gain from church attendance?

A positive message? Well, assuming you aren't attending a fire & brimstone church, what does a non-believer stand to learn from the positive parts of a holy text that they couldn't deduce on their own? The modern Golden Rule is, "Don't be a dick." Most of us fail at it (some more than others), but the important thing is that you try.

Community/social involvement? Well, if all of those people are believers and you aren't, what is the benefit there?

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              The merits of a humanist chaplin.
              Humanism is something I can get behind, and I think a Humanist chaplin would be a great asset for our military personnel that don't believe in a particular dogma. He could even be a good resource for those that are followers of a religion. (If you question that, think of how a non-believer can still gain things from a church service)
              It appears that...by definition, humanists are atheists. Then based on the job description, I'm guessing there are far more qualified candidates to...'enable the free practice of religion for all the Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen who serve'.

A positive message? Well, assuming you aren't attending a fire & brimstone church, what does a non-believer stand to learn from the positive parts of a holy text that they couldn't deduce on their own? The modern Golden Rule is, "Don't be a dick." Most of us fail at it (some more than others), but the important thing is that you try.

Community/social involvement? Well, if all of those people are believers and you aren't, what is the benefit there?
              Its both inspirational and informative. It directly leads to personal growth. And I promise, you don't need to be a Christian to get the benefits...but you do need an open mind.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Its both inspirational and informative. It directly leads to personal growth. And I promise, you don't need to be a Christian to get the benefits...but you do need an open mind.
                Open mind, indeed. Theists act as if existentially threatened by the existence of atheists. Atheists take the existence of theists in stride as just another kind of astrology.

And therein lies the difference.

We can live together in peace. You just can't force your silly sh-t on us. Is it really, really all that hard to wrap your head around? You can believe in any fool thing your daddy told you when you were impressionable. You can devote your whole life to it -- that's yours. But you can't impose any of that dreck on us, even when 99% of your neighbors believe it, too.

That's the First Amendment in a nutshell. Don't like it? Move to a theocracy. You aint gettin' one here.

Ever.
                Cornell University

Comment

And they accuse us of being "militant" just for fighting to uphold the free society envisioned by the founders.

Comment

Community? I run the HS group at my church. THere are a few of the kids in my group who aren't sure if they believe. We are very open about it. You can't force belief on anyone. Had one of the believers bring in a friend who had been Catholic and decided he didn't believe. He couldn't understand what it was people got out of Church. We had this whole discussion- went round and asked the kids what they believed, why they came, what they got out of it. They all had different views about God (or not) but --> Consensus--> they liked to come because they felt like the people at the church were their family. They felt cared about, felt they could go to most of the adults if they needed help, felt the Church gave them an avenue to do good that was organized (and provided a 'voice' that was listened to about issues they care about) , gave them a structure for morality even if it wasn't God based. Gave them a backstop if they needed one re moral issues. Mind you we are a liberal, inclusive church. Christ was inclusive- he ate with the undesirables and lectured the Pharisees for obsessing about things that didn't matter. We aren't Literalists and the church is based on questioning, thinking about what Scripture is saying and how does it apply to you, not being told it means X.

Anyone with a modicum of knowledge regarding the founding of this country knows they did NOT have a State religion for a reason. The BS some of the Righty Tighty people sling about having to 'bring us back' to a Christian country are either disingenuous or practicing revisionist history.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      Community? I run the HS group at my church. THere are a few of the kids in my group who aren't sure if they believe. We are very open about it. You can't force belief on anyone. Had one of the believers bring in a friend who had been Catholic and decided he didn't believe. He couldn't understand what it was people got out of Church. We had this whole discussion- went round and asked the kids what they believed, why they came, what they got out of it. They all had different views about God (or not) but --> Consensus--> they liked to come because they felt like the people at the church were their family. They felt cared about, felt they could go to most of the adults if they needed help, felt the Church gave them an avenue to do good that was organized (and provided a 'voice' that was listened to about issues they care about) , gave them a structure for morality even if it wasn't God based. Gave them a backstop if they needed one re moral issues. Mind you we are a liberal, inclusive church. Christ was inclusive- he ate with the undesirables and lectured the Pharisees for obsessing about things that didn't matter. We aren't Literalists and the church is based on questioning, thinking about what Scripture is saying and how does it apply to you, not being told it means X.

Anyone with a modicum of knowledge regarding the founding of this country knows they did NOT have a State religion for a reason. The BS some of the Righty Tighty people sling about having to 'bring us back' to a Christian country are either disingenuous or practicing revisionist history.
                      The country was neutral on religion. No state religion but Faith was not discouraged.

Was there prejudice and discrimination? Yup. Still is.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        The country was neutral on religion. No state religion but Faith was not discouraged.

Was there prejudice and discrimination? Yup. Still is.
                        Yes but there was no one Faith.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          Absolutely. The overwhelming precedent at the time was that every country had a state religion (and in the case of Europe, we can cut to the chase and say state denomination of Christianity). The founding fathers went *way* off the reservation in order to avoid having one - if they'd intended for this country to have a state religion, they would have just written that down and 95% of the population wouldn't have found it that strange, even if they personally didn't belong to the selected one.

They didn't even include any religious platitudes in the preamble, which would have been very tempting as well.
                          Last edited by LynahFan; 03-24-2018, 06:45 AM.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            Yes but there was no one Faith.
                            Not officially, but non Protestants were pretty much at the bottom. And then if you weren't mainstream you got looked down on.

It was not until the mass immigration that Catholicism became "mainstream" and we always had those "restricted" associations that kept the Jews down. "Enlightenment" didn't come until the 60s in law. In practice it takes a lot longer.

We should not have a theocracy but we shouldn't have a secular society either.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              but we shouldn't have a secular society either.
                              We should absolutely have a secular government, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                We should absolutely have a secular government, though.
                                Yup.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X