X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Was this directed at me for clicking a link Flag posted? If so, I'd like it noted that I failed to look at whose post that was before clicking the link.
    Huh? I don't see any post by you. It was at Flaggy who seems to have lost himself down the rabbit hole of alternative worlds. Rather like a male version of Alice in Wonderland.

Comment

Also, if you don't enunciate, you get an "I don't understand" response. Admittedly, I didn't and won't watch the video to see if that may be the case.
      There are plenty of times I've given the echo commands and it doesn't understand what I said. The worst though is when playing Jeopardy and I give the right answer and that *ch Alexa is all like, "I'm sorry, the correct answer is.."
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        Huh? I don't see any post by you. It was at Flaggy who seems to have lost himself down the rabbit hole of alternative worlds. Rather like a male version of Alice in Wonderland.
        No, I hadn't posted. I just read your post immediately after having clicked on the link from Flaggy. Your post seemed very fitting after my actions.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G
        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
        2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Tried it on my droid. It returned the news links that cited FlagDude08's links. Further down, way down, were links to The Man.

Then tried "Jesus of Nazareth". BINGO! on the 1st try.
          Guess they have to go back to make another update to the algorithm.

Comment

• Fundies (Evangelicals): Trans people are pushing their lifestyle!

I don't know, man. I mean, I wake up at 3:15 Monday through Saturday. I make eggs and coffee... then I drink about 4 cups of the stuff. I leave for work at 5:15 AM to be at work by 5:39. After coming home, I can't decide whether to work out or take a nap. Then, like a true animal, I'm in bed by 9 PM.

On weekends, I spend about an hour at Meijer, trying to guess what's on my list. End up spending about $100. Then I stay home, drinking booze while consuming homemade baked goods. Church on Sunday is totally optional.

I mean, who wouldn't want that?
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I really hope a fundy doesn't work at my bank (or do I?).

Adjusted the savings balance after the HI trip to $66,666.66.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I really hope a fundy doesn't work at my bank (or do I?).

Adjusted the savings balance after the HI trip to $66,666.66.
                No, but they'd be concerned if your balance was $666. For some reason, I read Revelation a lot when I believed.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  No, but they'd be concerned if your balance was $666. For some reason, I read Revelation a lot when I believed.
                  Somehow I read that as six 6's last night. "He's been sick. I think his wife is gonna bring him some chicken soup."
                  Last edited by Kepler; 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Superstitious fears of numbers is not new, especially in a society that was never educated properly as to how to think about significant numbers.

The number 666 is the number of a man. It helps for identification purposes. The "Mark of the Beast" is not the #. No one is going to get the # 666 stamped on their forehead or their hand.

The Book of Revelations needs to be interpreted "Literally", meaning, "According to its literature". People who misunderstand the word "literal" have caused lots of problems and confusion throughout history.

Revelations is a book written in symbolic language. It was meant to be a code only understood by those who understood the symbolism.

The forehead symbolizes a person's thoughts, their beliefs. And their hand symbolizes a person's actions. And a person's thoughts and beliefs, SHOULD determine their actions. And honestly, a person's TRUE beliefs do. Only the true believer ACTS like one.

So the Mark of the Beast is nothing more than people's thoughts and beliefs, their TRUE thoughts and beliefs, being seen in their actions.

The Righteous person will not take on the Mark of the Beast, because their strong and true beliefs will be seen in their righteous acts and defiance against the Beast.

The Beast may say, you have to register with the Government and take an oath against believing in The Creator, and upon doing so are then given a card or chip or whatever, that identifies you as a loyal servant of the Beast. True believers in The Almighty Creator will know The Beast is the Beast and will refuse, and they will, in a sense, refuse taking the Mark of the Beast, and in so doing, will be saved.

But remember, taking the Mark is not a simple single gesture, it is having True faith and belief, to the point of acting on that faith and belief in a way that is recognizable to the rest of the world.

Comment

Time to burn down the thread.
                      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        "When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Don't call them snowflakes, they're just like everyone else

The enemy is dominance. End dominance, by any grubby little group, and we can talk about a good society.

Some great points.

The thing about ending dominance though? I feel ya, but how? Is it even possible? Even in Star Trek, there was an acknowledgement that there will always be someone else out there wanting it, fighting for it, not wanting peace or subjugation. And even within Starfleet, there was always some individuals who seemed to want to do things the old way. Christians would argue that only when a sinless perfectly Righteous Ruler comes that can rule in a perfectly just and fair way, whose omniscient nature makes it possible, only then can we have a truly good society?

And of course, in their story, the 1000 year Millenial Reign, even after 1000 years with a perfect ruler in charge, even then humanity still rebels and resists subjugation.

So Christians hope for the 2nd coming. Can non-Christians hope for this good society you mention?

Comment

There will always be various f-cked up individuals whose brains are squirrely or whose wienies don't work right who want to control others, but maybe we can stop Group A from dominating Group Not A. We've been making progress on phase 1, taking those privileges out of the law. Next is to take them out of institutional culture in public entities. You never know -- we're due for another wave of progress after fifty years of retrenchment and the last stand of the bigots.
                          Cornell University

Comment

There will always be various f-cked up individuals whose brains are squirrely or whose wienies don't work right who want to control others, but maybe we can stop Group A from dominating Group Not A. We've been making progress on phase 1, taking those privileges out of the law. Next is to take them out of institutional culture in public entities. You never know -- we're due for another wave of progress after fifty years of retrenchment and the last stand of the bigots.
                            But doesn't the vacuum created by taking out the privileges of one group, often lead to other groups just coming in and filling in that vacuum? I mean, if you are a part of the group taking over for the previous group, whether a leader or just a supporter, then maybe you are ok with that? And of course those whose privilege is being taken away are going to fight to prevent that from happening whether its right or not and the new group trying to take control will fight harder, whether right or wrong, with both groups believing that they are right. In the middle ages wars were fought between believers of this vs believers of that, mostly differing religious groups. Today's wars are still one group of believers vs another group of believers, its just that both groups are not always religious groups anymore. Now its governments vs religious groups or anti-religious groups vs religious groups. It's a form of war with just different degrees of victimization along with different victims, different types of weaponry, a war fought with words and labels and lies, etc.. It's still one group trying to impose its will upon others. Every group seems to think that they are the best group and their beliefs or ideas or ways of doing things are better than the other groups and for the most part want to want to impose their values and morals or ethics or beliefs or practices on everyone else. Even Democracy is just 51% trying to impose their views or ways on the 49%.

Or do you disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                              But doesn't the vacuum created by taking out the privileges of one group, often lead to other groups just coming in and filling in that vacuum?
                              It can, but that is not the goal. The opposite of male chauvinism isn't female chauvinism, it's Get the F-ck Over Yourselfism.

The way democracy is tempered so that it doesn't become the tyranny of majorities is minority protections via the Bill of Rights and the 14th Amendment. The Church of Satan's trolling of the Christian Taliban is an example of how this works in practice: once the de facto discrimination in favor of Christianity was finally eliminated from federal law the Jesusharia nuts regrouped and tried to force their cross back down everybody's throat with "religious liberty." The COS throws that back in the Thumpers' faces by again returning the emphasis to equal protection under the law.

Now obviously the group that got to impose its arbitrary nonsense on the rest of us for 250 years reads this as someone else "dominating" them, but that's a logical fallacy. The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 01-29-2018, 07:51 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

It can, but that is not the goal. The opposite of male chauvinism isn't female chauvinism, it's Get the F-ck Over Yourselfism.

The way democracy is tempered so that it doesn't become the tyranny of majorities is minority protections via the Bill of Rights and the 14th Amendment. The Church of Satan's trolling of the Christian Taliban is an example of how this works in practice: once the de facto discrimination in favor of Christianity was finally eliminated from federal law the Jesusharia nuts regrouped and tried to force their cross back down everybody's throat with "religious liberty." The COS throws that back in the Thumpers' faces by again returning the emphasis to equal protection under the law.

Now obviously the group that got to impose its arbitrary nonsense on the rest of us for 250 years reads this as someone else "dominating" them, but that's a logical fallacy. The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.
                                Wow, you really don't like Christians, do you?

And I'm not a Christian, and its ME who sees another group moving in to replace the former group, and I've known enough Christians in my lifetime to tell you that its not a logical fallacy that makes them think another group is moving in to replace them, they seem to see some of the same things that I see. We disagree on so many HUGE issues that I doubt you could mistake me as being one of them, but the idea remains that when a vacuum is created, something is always compelled to move in. Not saying something always does, sometimes barriers are created to prevent that. Like sucking the air out of a contained space that can handle the pressure that is created by doing this. And I am guessing that is what you are saying is the goal, to find a form of barrier that can prevent another group from moving in and taking over for the former group. But when it comes to humans, when one dominator is removed, it's usually replaced by those who helped remove it/them, or someone or some group supported by those who removed the former dominator.

Can you guess who I believe is trying to take over as dominator? And/or why I have a problem with them/it?

Comment

Working...
                                X