This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

PC culture has gone WAY too far. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...offensive.html

Comment

• Franklin Graham is on Twitter saying Hawking has met God.

Shut up, Frank.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        Franklin Graham is on Twitter saying Hawking has met God.

Shut up, Frank.
        Most of the world would agree with Frank's statement.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          "A time to speak, and a time to remain silent."

Of course, there are parts of the Bible you like and parts of the Bible you don't like.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I don’t see the problem with graham’s statement.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

bump
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                And then kill each other over which one. Consider the source.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  Franklin Graham is on Twitter saying Hawking has met God.

Shut up, Frank.
                  Based upon Hawking's outspoken atheist stances, I'd imagine many religious leaders included him in their homilies, or whatever portions of their sermons/rituals allow for discussing current topic/people. I saw a Catholic priest roll up Hawking's comments, and how they're wrong, into the seed continuing further generations as part of the week's Lenten mass.

Funny bit...
                  PRIEST: As you may have heard, Stephen Hawking died today. [Pause]
                  PARISHIONER #1: Who was he?
                  PARISHIONER #2: I don't know, some actor, I think.

He was addressing Hawking's comments on theology being entirely wrong, and thus inadvertently introducing the man's writings to a large number of people who'd never heard of him prior to that. There were a number of younger people in the crowd, and may have lost one to the idea of the scientific reasoning of a brilliant man.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Mass approval does not make the masses correct. It just means you have a lot of wrong people. RE: Physics and the theory of the ether prior to Einstein.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      He was addressing Hawking's comments on theology being entirely wrong, and thus inadvertently introducing the man's writings to a large number of people who'd never heard of him prior to that. There were a number of younger people in the crowd, and may have lost one to the idea of the scientific reasoning of a brilliant man.
                      And this is how you fight ignorance. The natural advantage of theism is humans are afraid and really want a comforting illusion of control. The natural advantage of science is it's real whether you believe in it or not. And so the two will exist side by side for as long as people fear and think.

To be honest, given most of the population, fearless humans would be as awful as thoughtless humans, so it's a good idea to keep religion around as a time-tested way to put a check on the apes.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My coworker was telling me how she was here before production started and a couple of guys were kneeling in the corner. She asked what they were doing, but they don't speak much English. Her guess is they were praying. She seemed freaked out about it.

I'm not at all. The timing would be about sunrise, and I assume they were praying. Would this disturb anyone on this board? Am I just nonchalant about it, because as an athiest I'm used to people praying without my participating in it? Are some Christians so used to everyone around them practicing the same religion, that to see someone practicing a different religion is scary to them?
                        Or is it more likely to be because these are black, likely Muslim, likely immigrant (don't speak much English) men that instills fear in someone?
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                          My coworker was telling me how she was here before production started and a couple of guys were kneeling in the corner. She asked what they were doing, but they don't speak much English. Her guess is they were praying. She seemed freaked out about it.

I'm not at all. The timing would be about sunrise, and I assume they were praying. Would this disturb anyone on this board? Am I just nonchalant about it, because as an athiest I'm used to people praying without my participating in it? Are some Christians so used to everyone around them practicing the same religion, that to see someone practicing a different religion is scary to them?
                          Or is it more likely to be because these are black, likely Muslim, likely immigrant (don't speak much English) men that instills fear in someone?
                          It's been my experience that white Christians tend to be scared of Mooslims. They're all bombers, you see.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            It's been my experience that white Christians tend to be scared of Mooslims. They're all bombers, you see.
                            Personally I’m more freaked out when I go to Colorado Springs and I see the focus on the family thumpers praying everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I have a number of Christian friends who participate in Muslim activities in the Riverside area - friendly outreach. How many know others that do?

Many on this site confuse conservatives with Christians. See...

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              Personally I’m more freaked out when I go to Colorado Springs and I see the focus on the family thumpers praying everywhere
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                I have a number of Christian friends who participate in Muslim activities in the Riverside area - friendly outreach. How many know others that do?

Many on this site confuse conservatives with Christians. See...
                                I was joking, so no.
                                Also, if you’ve ever been to the springs, you’d know that it’s full of so called Christian conservatives.

Comment

Working...
                                X