Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.18 - Who Run Derpertown? McMasterBlaster Run Derpertown.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.18 - Who Run Derpertown? McMasterBlaster Run Derpertown.

There are some very fine people on the right.

Vandals who threw paint on a Confederate statue in Springfield, Missouri should be "hung from a tall tree with a long rope," {State Representative Warren Love (R-Osceola)} wrote on Facebook earlier today.
    With pic looking exactly as you assume he does.

Love told the Post-Dispatch that he didn't literally want the vandals lynched.

"That was an exaggerated statement that, you know, a lot of times is used in the Western world when somebody does a crime or commits theft. ... That's just a Western term and I'm very much a Western man. You know, I wear a coat. You know, I dress Western. And, you know, I'm the cowboy of the Capitol."
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-31-2017, 09:12 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
      Right so for example shouting racial epithets toward a crowd of people over the course of a protest... might not be legally protected free speech? If it is I'd argue it shouldn't be.
      One protest is not a course of conduct over a period of time. It's one protest.

Using your logic, every protest ever would be considered harassment, since they all involve shouting words that some will disagree with/find offensive (I particularly get offended at the banality of "hey hey, ho ho, this one thing has got to go" protests).

Laws governing speech and speech related conduct have to be content neutral with rare exceptions (obscenity being the primary one). A good rule of thumb is to replace whatever word you find offensive with some nonsense word. If it would still be harassment at that point, the person can be arrested. If not, then they can't, even if you find their words to be despicable.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
        Meh, it's pretty obvious what is meant to anyone who has half a brain.

No... it's not.

You and other apologists are not all that different.

You have your pet movement and others have theirs.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          I'm not sure speech that is obviously trying to incite *something* in another group is something we need to protect.
          Nevertheless, absent an imminent incitement of violence, it is protected.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            No... it's not.
            Hahahaha ok.

You and other apologists are not all that different.

You have your pet movement and others have theirs.
            Yeah I'm sure that's what South Park told you, thanks Brent.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              I particularly get offended at the banality of "hey hey, ho ho, this one thing has got to go" protests
              God, I'm glad you mentioned this. This has to be the dumbest thing we do, and we do so many dumb things. Liberals are supposed to read books -- FFS, put a little effort into it people.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                One protest is not a course of conduct over a period of time. It's one protest.
                Fair enough, like I said I wasn't familiar with the legal framework of what constitutes harassment.

Using your logic, every protest ever would be considered harassment, since they all involve shouting words that some will disagree with/find offensive (I particularly get offended at the banality of "hey hey, ho ho, this one thing has got to go" protests).
                No not really.

Laws governing speech and speech related conduct have to be content neutral with rare exceptions (obscenity being the primary one). A good rule of thumb is to replace whatever word you find offensive with some nonsense word. If it would still be harassment at that point, the person can be arrested. If not, then they can't, even if you find their words to be despicable.
                Right, there are exceptions and in this case I think you can reasonably make one. Shouting fire in a crowded theater isn't a whole lot worse than calling the other side of a protest that isn't all that far away from you the N word or something along those lines. (Especially when you or they have guns, pretty sure you're not allowed to start confrontations and then end them with guns except in Florida)

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                  Meh, it's pretty obvious what is meant to anyone who has half a brain. I guess it's possible people don't know about the electric chair but that seems like concern trolling. The only people getting offended by this are the usual suspects who are pout-raging.
                  The reason the "fighting words" exception to the first amendment is all but officially overruled is because one person's fighting words is another's political speech. And you don't want the government making that determination because your party might wind up on the losing side of that argument at some point.

Edit: the textbook case on "fighting words" involved a guy in the 70s wearing a jacket that said "(Fark) the Draft" into a courthouse who got arrested for disturbing the peace. The Court ultimately overturned it, but it illustrates my point.
                  Last edited by unofan; 08-31-2017, 09:26 AM.

Comment

https://www.infowars.com/breaking-at...ught-on-video/

Comment

Hahahaha ok.

Yeah I'm sure that's what South Park told you, thanks Brent.

I don't watch South Park.

And you've been cop hating on here for a few years now.

On the one hand, you decry certain speech and think it maybe shouldn't be protected - shouting slurs, etc.

On the other, you explain away speech that could (and likely has) incite(d).

Best part is... you don't even see that you're doing it.

And I lean towards punching Nazis in the face, so no... Brent and I don't see this the same.

Nazis have a right to say what they want and I can want to punch them for it.

Of course, if I do, I should be held legally responsible for my actions.

Comment

Yeah because thinking cops should be held legally responsible for unlawful killings means I hate all of them

And yeah you're trying to draw some parallel that is non-existent here. It's not even remotely the same and it's basically Sica-lite.

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about these cartoons. On one hand, great points. On the other, *cringe*...

ETA: I can't figure out how to embed tweets directly from twitter apparently...
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            cop hating
                            Holding bad cops accountable for when they indiscriminately murder unarmed and innocent people is not "hating." Good cops should be against those bad cops, too.

The problem is that far too often good cops reflexively defend bad cops no matter what horrific sh-t they've done out of misplaced loyalty and solidarity. This is exactly what happens when minority communities defend gangs, soldiers defend rapists and murderers in their ranks, and the Church defends pedophiles. Blind loyalty is ape behavior.

Now add that conservative political correctness dictates it is anathema to ever criticize the police, and we wind up with the accusation of "cop hating."
                            Last edited by Kepler; 08-31-2017, 09:32 AM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Yeah because thinking cops should be held legally responsible for unlawful killings means I hate all of them

And yeah you're trying to draw some parallel that is non-existent here. It's not even remotely the same and it's basically Sica-lite.

"Fry like bacon" can be inflammatory.

"Cops should be held legally responsible for unlawful killings" cannot be inflammatory.

Anyone with half a brain can see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Holding bad cops accountable for when they indiscriminately murder unarmed and innocent people is not "hating." Good cops should be against those bad cops, too.

The problem is that far too often good cops reflexively defend bad cops no matter what horrific sh-t they've done out of misplaced loyalty and solidarity. This is exactly what happens when minority communities defend gangs, soldiers defend rapists and murderers in their ranks, and the Church defends pedophiles. Blind loyalty is ape behavior.

Now add that conservative political correctness dictates it is anathema to ever criticize the police singularly or individually, and we wind up with the accusation of "cop hating."

I agree with all of that and support the BLM movement, if not all of their tactics.

I'm only speaking to what I remember as Trixie's bias from the Ferguson threads. He wasn't objective on this matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X