Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.18 - Who Run Derpertown? McMasterBlaster Run Derpertown.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.18 - Who Run Derpertown? McMasterBlaster Run Derpertown.

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Right but hurling out racial epithets and slurs probably strays into speech that isn't protected.
    No, it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Not according to some of the folks I came across last night. Holy Hannah....they were as bad (qualifier: minus the race bit) as the hate groups. They were advocating violence. And I know the majority of the protesters are NOT like this. Unfortunately, this is what everything is leading to, and it sucks.
      So you will need to pick a side- do you side with people wanting to take away rights from people they deem not worthy, or the side of equal rights to all.

Given that people have fought and died for the principle of freedom and equality over the years (hint- we have FIVE holidays celebrating them), it seems pretty natural that people want to fight for this country.

The ironic thing about your position- we spend a lot of effort (not real money) honoring people who go out and kill other people across the world who we think are threatening our country, but when it comes to doing the same here within our borders, that is bad.

What's up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        No, it doesn't.
        Would that not be harrassment?

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          Would that not be harrassment?
          Simply dropping an N-bomb is not harassment. Harassment requires a course of conduct over a period of time. Even moreso when we're talking potential criminality, which is when the first amendment would be invoked.
          Last edited by unofan; 08-31-2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            I think you hope too much.

We have a sheriff who is a "hero" for detaining innocent US citizens because of the way they look. And he assaulted people he was interrogating. He is a very bad dude- but a hero.

And the reactions to nazis is to let them walk, unabated- no real weapons for the cops. These are people demanding that they be put above everyone else, and others lose their rights.

And the reactions to BLM is to bring out the riot gear, make sure everyone is super armed. These are people demanding that they be treated equally.

And we have ICE people detaining US citizens at the borders because they are the wrong religion. It's been noted quite a few times.

Sure makes you think.
            I think most people (not the 1% Nazis) want to be decent people. I've been educating some friends on Arpaio's concentration camp detention methods and they've agreed that it's unacceptable. I have a feeling Trump is shortening his own leash (tightening his noose?) and we'll be here to see a giant backlash to his Hatred Doctrine. If I didn't believe it I would just go fulll Scooby and burn the world down.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Simply dropping an N-bomb is not harassment. Harassment requires a course of conduct over a period of time. Even moreso when we're talking potential criminality, which is when the first amendment would be invoked.
              Right so for example shouting racial epithets toward a crowd of people over the course of a protest... might not be legally protected free speech? If it is I'd argue it shouldn't be.
              Last edited by trixR4kids; 08-31-2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                I think most people (not the 1% Nazis) want to be decent people. I've been educating some friends on Arpaio's concentration camp detention methods and they've agreed that it's unacceptable. I have a feeling Trump is shortening his own leash (tightening his noose?) and we'll be here to see a giant backlash to his Hatred Doctrine. If I didn't believe it I would just go fulll Scooby and burn the world down.
                I think most people *want* to be decent people, too.

But we all have different levels of what decent means. Somehow, Arpaio got re-elected many times- so that's one level of "decent", dump got elected- that's a different level of "decent" to me.

The "decent" issue always comes up when people try to justify some kind of bias that been going on for many years. joe does that for the LBGT group. Brent does a great job of trying to show his oppression is somehow equal to minorities, etc. There's a lot of that going on for this board.

I don't doubt that they all want to be "decent", but relative to everyone being very equal, and treated equally to the laws, law enforcement, and the economy- we've got a long way to go for the "decent" line to really live up.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                  I think/hope you're overestimating support for the Nazis. I know Trump got elected, but I don't think the Nazis are a serious movement. If you're looking at the median of "the right as a whole" or 1/3 the populace you've got a guy that works at the County Sewer Authority 40 hours a week to feed his kids and maybe takes out his rifle once a year to fill the freezer. Not an active terrorist.
                  Not every racist is a terrorist or a Nazi. (hell not every racist is a Republican though dont tell Kepler ) hat County Sewer worker may not want to kill all Black People but he may feel they are a bunch of Welfare queens and criminals who dont deserve what he has.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Right so for example shouting racial epithets toward a crowd of people over the course of a protest... might not be legally protected free speech? If it is I'd argue it shouldn't be.
                    I'm not sure speech that is obviously trying to incite *something* in another group is something we need to protect.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Equal Pay for Women? Ivanka? Trump?

No way.

http://fortune.com/2017/08/30/ivanka-trump-equal-pay/

Transparency is the key. Business doesn't want transparency. So, bye bye.
                      God I want to take all the clowns who said "Ivanka Trump is a Liberal" and just slap em...
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yes it is and yes it should be. Just saying a racist term over and over again is not harassment. Now if you said "I am going to kill all [racist term] right now" to that group that is a threat.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          So you will need to pick a side- do you side with people wanting to take away rights from people they deem not worthy, or the side of equal rights to all.

Given that people have fought and died for the principle of freedom and equality over the years (hint- we have FIVE holidays celebrating them), it seems pretty natural that people want to fight for this country.

The ironic thing about your position- we spend a lot of effort (not real money) honoring people who go out and kill other people across the world who we think are threatening our country, but when it comes to doing the same here within our borders, that is bad.

What's up with that?
                          I've been pretty clear that I want equal rights for all, and that includes people I don't agree with. In this case, the hate groups waving their flags and having parades. Until (and if) the laws change, I will vocally defend those rights.

Edit: To add, "take away rights from people they deem not worthy" does go more ways than one.
                          Last edited by The Rube; 08-31-2017, 08:17 AM.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            I think most people *want* to be decent people, too.

But we all have different levels of what decent means. Somehow, Arpaio got re-elected many times- so that's one level of "decent", dump got elected- that's a different level of "decent" to me.

The "decent" issue always comes up when people try to justify some kind of bias that been going on for many years. joe does that for the LBGT group. Brent does a great job of trying to show his oppression is somehow equal to minorities, etc. There's a lot of that going on for this board.

I don't doubt that they all want to be "decent", but relative to everyone being very equal, and treated equally to the laws, law enforcement, and the economy- we've got a long way to go for the "decent" line to really live up.
                            It's hard from thousands of miles away to understand exactly what was going on in Arizona. I think it's unfair to criticize people who voted for Arpaio. There could have been a lot of people who disliked him but voted for him anyway because they thought he was making a difference on illegal immigration.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Yes it is and yes it should be. Just saying a racist term over and over again is not harassment. Now if you said "I am going to kill all [racist term] right now" to that group that is a threat.
                              Calling the other side of a protest various slurs isn't harassment? Also gonna disagree that it should be protected.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                God I want to take all the clowns who said "Ivanka Trump is a Liberal" and just slap em...

It's their right to say it and violence isn't the answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X