Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.18 - Who Run Derpertown? McMasterBlaster Run Derpertown.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    It's only above 1% if you include tripe like self-help or investment books or Malcolm Gladwell or "Killing Lincoln."

It would be interesting (and impossible) to know what percentage of people over the age of 30 read any book that was previously assigned to them in a high school class. My guess is 1 in 10,000.
    Yeah, when you look at book sales numbers it can't be very high. It's to bad so many people miss out.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Re: POTUS 45.18 - Who Run Derpertown? McMasterBlaster Run Derpertown.

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Yeah, when you look at book sales numbers it can't be very high. It's to bad so many people miss out.
      It is. The "great books" mean far more once we've had life experience but most people never find out.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Welcome to the globalist military's soft coup.
        Verbatim.

And the Comments are an InfoWars circle jerk.

Interact with the physical world. Form up into units of strength. Go before the authorities and demonstrate that you have numbers and strength (never "protest" that is weak and useless). Be polite and talk to them but let them subtly by just a organized and disciplined show of numbers so that they respect and even fear you. They will join you or when the time comes turn the armory over to you.

The more in positions of authority and physical control you can bring into your ranks the better.

If you are a leader, lead. If not find a group to join. Competence, intelligence and realistic view of the world is better than ideology. If a group breaks down into stupid chanting and yelling, try to determine the infiltrators and take names on lists, and find a real action group.

Get technical people. Think TV, cable, phone, power, water, sewer. Get police and government, and army people on board also.

This is not about rioting and killing, but preparation for war with the Enemy of the People. This is about saving your community not destroying it. But nevertheless it is war and all that entails.

Get a command structure. Become disciplined and enforce discipline. Build a communications network. Build an intelligence network. Build a recruitment and training network. Mostly this stuff is already there, just find it.

Spend time offline. Go on maneuvers. Personally: Become a trained rifleman. Be a minuteman. Be ready to join the battle at a minutes notice.

In summary: Get out more and interact with people. Build your network and get involved.
        A masturbation kit if you think Red Dawn was a documentary. And to be fair the infrastructure and comms part is sound -- if these dinks actually go violent at some point we'll need some sane people with communications and utilities skills to keep us safe while law enforcement hits the accelerator on Darwin.

These people are dangerous and delusional, but it is heartening that they are so very, very stupid.
        Last edited by Kepler; 08-23-2017, 04:34 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's only above 1% if you include tripe like self-help or investment books or Malcolm Gladwell or "Killing Lincoln."

It would be interesting (and impossible) to know what percentage of people over the age of 30 read any book that was previously assigned to them in a high school class. My guess is 1 in 10,000.
          I only qualify because one of my English teachers was a Tolkeinite (had a map of Middle-Earth painted on a wall) and I read LOTR anyway.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Most of the books assigned to me in high school were absolute garbage.

It wasn't until college that I found assigned books I enjoyed. And it was only in my history of politics or something like that. Second treatise, communist manifesto, and about fifteen more I can't remember.

I found lot of fiction assigned in high school was pretentious, boring, or overanalyzed. Nonfiction I gobbled up, but unfortunately we didn't get a lot of that.

Camus, Achibe, whatever schmuck wrote ordinary people, Dickens, Salinger, everything my 10th grade English teacher assigned us, (that I can even remember this many has me mystified). Blech. I think dickens was the only decent storyteller but my god, TLDR.

I think there notable exception was Shakespeare.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I had a better experience with assigned reading early on than you did, apparently, but what Kep says about how much living enhances our understanding and appreciation of literature is spot on. And I can't think of an author that observation applies to more than Shakespeare. It's easy to see why people believe that those works could not be the effort of just one person.

Comment

I think dickens was the only decent storyteller but my god, TLDR.
                To be fair, it takes a lot of pages to make sure every goddam character in the story is related to or somehow knows each other.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  To be fair, it takes a lot of pages to make sure every goddam character in the story is related to or somehow knows each other.
                  I couldn't have read more ham 50 pages of that book before I gave up. Sting Larsson got to the point faster than him.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It's probably really really low. I read about 1-3 non-fiction books per year (although I watch quite a few more documentaries per month). I don't really get into the history books, though. Book are more sports, organized crime, and pop-culture. Historical documentaries are more my thing.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Camus, Achibe, whatever schmuck wrote ordinary people, Dickens, Salinger, everything my 10th grade English teacher assigned us, (that I can even remember this many has me mystified). Blech. I think dickens was the only decent storyteller but my god, TLDR.

Read them when you're 40. It is remarkable how much those books have changed.

A lot of the books I tried to read in HS were lost on me too. I'm still trying to appreciate Joseph Conrad. There were some exceptions though that really reached me, like "Antigone" and Life on the Mississippi. I'm glad books assigned in high school are aspirational -- this is a healthy thing in an institution that is typically just a conveyor belt for office workers and consumers.

For Camus I recommend The Stranger but first I'd recommend reading the first 30 or so pages of Being and Nothingness -- the concept of radical freedom will blow the top of your head off and make Camus' fiction comprehensible.

For Salinger... I got nothin'. He's an adolescent fapjob but the same generation that ruined the rest of the world read "Catcher" when they were 15 and swooned so we all have to suffer til they're dead.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 08-24-2017, 04:51 AM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Those were all the authors we read. The Stranger was just not interesting at all.
                        Code:

Comment

Never assigned but my High School English teacher had a copy of Christine on her desk. I really appreciated English after that.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Verbatim.

And the Comments are an InfoWars circle jerk.

A masturbation kit if you think Red Dawn was a documentary. And to be fair the infrastructure and comms part is sound -- if these dinks actually go violent at some point we'll need some sane people with communications and utilities skills to keep us safe while law enforcement hits the accelerator on Darwin.

These people are dangerous and delusional, but it is heartening that they are so very, very stupid.
                            How thin is the line between these guys and terrorists?
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              How thin is the line between these guys and terrorists?
                              They are the white racial version of ISIS, it seems. The desire is to have a white state, and by pretty much any means.

Or a white version of the Taliban, given they want to rule their country, too, based on who people are instead of equal laws.

Comment

Reading about what happened after the rally in Phoenix and two things are clear. 1) This country is set for another Charlottesville to happen and soon. 2) The Police in many of these cities have no idea how to deal with the situation. I abhor violence, especially against cops and if people were throwing stuff at cops they deserve to have the book thrown at them. That said...you dont tear gas and pepper spray the whole crowd. At least in Virginia they were going after specific people, the cops in Phoenix were just indiscriminately (if the stories are true, and even the police account makes it sound as such) firing into the crowd after they were attacked. That isnt going to disperse the crowd, that is going to cause a riot.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X