Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.18 - Who Run Derpertown? McMasterBlaster Run Derpertown.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    It's happened before, in the 1890s and the 1960s, when the police were extremely to the right of the gen pop and they were used as ideological shock troops to stifle dissent. It happens locally everyday in a thousand little incidents, and then every month or so there is a larger incident. In this the cops are typically just as much the victims as the poor they are sent to hassle. This is where class war actually happens in America, which is better than the military, but certainly still highly oppressive.

One problem now is that the country is starting to divide politically along economic lines: the super rich and the white poor vs everybody else. Since the police have traditionally been drawn disproportionately from the white poor, they are starting to also diverge politically and turn into a politically reactionary element of society. This is... suboptimal. We need a large influx of minority LEO to keep it from turning into the armed branch of Fox News.
    The difference today is the police are a lot more connected and much more heavily armed. Apparently some forces even have explosives(based on what happened in Dallas.) It seems like they are always anxious to turn the most benign situations into some sort of major crisis.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.18 - Who Run Derpertown? McMasterBlaster Run Derpertown.

I see Kep the Divider is still trying to push racism.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I'm not sure how I feel about these cartoons. On one hand, great points. On the other, *cringe*...

ETA: I can't figure out how to embed tweets directly from twitter apparently...
        The drowning neo-Nazi one is totally off key. The other one is funny, and (in some cases) accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          The drowning neo-Nazi one is totally off key. The other one is funny, and (in some cases) accurate.
          Yeah I really don't get the first one, like I said before the majority of Houston didn't vote for Trump. The 2nd is great.

Comment

Just saw it again on Facebook. Fox News has successfully labeled all violent protests to the left through BLM and Antifa. They don't even mention the other groups anymore. It's amazing how they still drive the narrative.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Doesn't Charlie Hebdo do that with a lot of events? I remember they did the Italian earthquake victims as different pasta dishes.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                Calling the other side of a protest various slurs isn't harassment? Also gonna disagree that it should be protected.
                Have you ever taken a course on law specifically Constitutional Law? Slurs are protected speech. And they should be if you start policing speech in that regard we all know what comes next. If they act in any way that is a problem but otherwise...

Put it this way...if I say you are a ****** is that harassment? I used a slur AND I disparaged you. If so why? If not why? What if my friend who is Black calls me his "N word"? Who is qualified to decide what is and what is not a slur?
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  It's their right to say it and violence isn't the answer.

I am willing to pay the price for my actions
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    It's not a binary argument in the way you are trying to frame it. The correct side is peaceful, non-violent protest against any perceived and real civil or moral threats of an individual's choosing. Suppression of speech, and especially violent suppression of speech, is an enormous danger to free society.

No. In most states criminal harrassment, (somewhat like assault) requires a credible threat to you or your family's safety. Shouting racial epithets at a person, while disgusting and offensive, does not threaten their safety. I'd guess that you're thinking that this sort of thing is incitement to violence. For example when some nutbar hears all this and then goes and acts on it. But I disagree that in most all of these cases that is a proper argument. We don't hold BLM legally responsible for the deaths of the officers in Dallas despite the fact that they were directly calling for "pigs to fry like bacon", etc. We don't hold anyone else legally responsible for calling Scalise "Nazi scum" after that nutbar shot him at baseball practice. Your right to call me out as a Nazi pig if you so choose is inextricably tied to these douchbags right to spout awful disgusting and offensive things. Mein Kampf is available through your local library as is The Essential Ghandi. That is the way it needs to be in a free and open society.
                    This is 100% on point imho.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Zero surprise that one of our resident racist gaping *******s nailed Mein Kampf but couldn't spell Gandhi.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Have you ever taken a course on law specifically Constitutional Law? Slurs are protected speech. And they should be if you start policing speech in that regard we all know what comes next. If they act in any way that is a problem but otherwise...

Put it this way...if I say you are a ****** is that harassment? I used a slur AND I disparaged you. If so why? If not why? What if my friend who is Black calls me his "N word"? Who is qualified to decide what is and what is not a slur?
                        I know people like to use the slippery slope thing here and I understand why and don't necessarily disagree with that argument. That said there are limits to free speech and saying things to incite violence, specifically during protests or gatherings with large numbers of people, I don't necessarily think should be protected. I'm not saying those words should be banned entirely obviously but I don't see it as being any better than shouting fire in a crowded theater either.

Now specifically as it pertains to Charlottesville, when people are carrying around rifles and doing all of the above that adds an ever greater element of danger and like I said stifles the free speech of others as well and I believe is in questionable legal territory. I know if you are conceal/carrying you're not allowed to provoke a situation and then later resort to using your gun (in most states, not FL).

Comment

TRUMP IS UNSTABLE, PREJUDICED, DISHONEST AND SELFISH, AMERICANS SAY ABOUT PRESIDENT IN ****ING NEW POLL

Tell us how you really feel.

Americans do not hold President Donald Trump in high regard, with most suggesting he is dishonest, unstable, prejudiced and selfish, according to a survey released Tuesday by the Pew Research Center. And the criticisms of the country’s 45th president do not end there, with a strong majority of Americans similarly indicating that they largely disagree with both Trump’s policies and his conduct since entering the White House.

A massive 66 percent said they agree with Trump on none, almost none or just a few of the issues facing the country today. Only 15 percent said they agreed with Trump on all or nearly all of the issues. Even among Republicans, the figure was just 31 percent.
                          Republican support was also less than emphatic on Trump’s conduct in office. Thirty-four percent of Republicans said they liked the way Trump conducts himself as president, with 46 percent indicating that they have mixed feelings. Overall, just 16 percent of the 1,893 adults surveyed between August 15 and August 21 said that they liked Trump’s conduct in office.

For both those who approve and disapprove of Trump, his personality was viewed as a bigger factor than his policies. Of Trump approvers, 54 percent said they liked his approach or personality most, while only 14 percent said his policies or values were the decisive factors. The separate survey of 4,791 adults between August 8 and August 21 also found that 32 percent of Trump disapprovers were most concerned by Trump’s policies and/or conduct, compared with 25 percent who named his policies as what concerned them most.
                          Digging deeper into Trump’s personality, the findings are far from positive for the president. Sixty-five percent said that the word selfish described Trump either fairly well or very well, with 55 percent saying the same for the word prejudiced. The findings came during Trump’s reaction to violence at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, when he blamed “both sides” for the unrest that led to the death of a counterprotestor.

The negative views do not end there. A huge 72 percent responded that they thought the term even-tempered described Trump either not at all well or not too well. Even for Republicans, the percentage who said the term described him very well or fairly well was less than half, at 45 percent. Since coming into office, Trump has repeatedly lashed out at individuals, from television pundits to members of his own Republican party, for even the perception of criticism.

With cataloging the numerous untruths the president has uttered becoming a near full-time job, 62 percent said that honest was not an apt word to describe Trump. A plurality, 49 percent compared with 48 percent, responded similarly about the word decisive.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            Zero surprise that one of our resident racist gaping *******s nailed Mein Kampf but couldn't spell Gandhi.
                            Play the ball, not the man.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Funny, but also a good point. Where's the line of incitement? So people here post obvious bait, and people in a crowd shouting at each other do the same. What constitutes a credible threat -- something between the pimply faced kid safe behind the anonymity of a forum mewling about BLM being "thugs" and the paramilitary psycho in Charlottesville advocating a return to slavery because "those people can't manage their own affairs"?
                              I'm not sure where the line is. I'm not sure where it should be. I just know that I personally think the line should be as close to "you can pretty much say anything you want" as it can possibly be.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                I'm not sure where the line is. I'm not sure where it should be. I just know that I personally think the line should be as close to "you can pretty much say anything you want" as it can possibly be.
                                Me too, but I also don't belong to any immediately recognizable group that has suffered from majority f-ckwits heckling them day in and day out, with a history of hardcore discrimination behind it. I'm sure that colors my view.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X