Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

Re: Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

That basically sucked. Hard to find any bright spot in that turkey.

Yeah, I wasn't there, so I can't really comment, but just from the box score ... a 4-1 lead, then Ryerson scores six unanswered goals. The last goal by Ryerson was an empty netter, but still inexcusable. The Bucks won't have much time to get things corrected, either, as they travel to Wisconsin next weekend.

Here's what I saw, we weren't playing too physical with them and defensively we were going stick to stick with them and not much hitting to take them off the puck.
    It seemed we had a lot of trouble getting the puck on our sticks as simply missing the passes and losing the battles to keep possession on the offensive zone along with the all too often not taking a good shot when they had one and passing the puck instead.
    No one timers, always when receiving the pass we'd tee it up allowing the defense and goalie time to shift positions to shot block.
    Bringing the puck up ice no passing all the way across the ice to wide open guys who could have gone straight in on net.
    Worst part was guys blowing their coverage on D letting Ryerson get a step on them going to the far side of the net for the pass & shot.
    And like last year we seemed to play slow & soft all through the 2nd period. I just didn't see a concentrated effort for speed and attacking the puck at all times.
    Now don't get me wrong, this team has great potential, I was only listing what I thought went wrong most likely motivated by a lack of taking their opponent seriously until it was too late.
    I also saw coach changing things up a lot with personnel no doubt getting a feel for who was playing well on what lines.

I wasnt at the game and cant comment on what happened but i will say this was the first time they were on the ice together as a team in organized activity dont read to much into it. They do have to go to Madison this weekend but Wisconsin lost both goalies i think and Kunin so they are replacing a lot of things too. Just get a split out of this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    I wasnt at the game and cant comment on what happened but i will say this was the first time they were on the ice together as a team in organized activity dont read to much into it. They do have to go to Madison this weekend but Wisconsin lost both goalies i think and Kunin so they are replacing a lot of things too. Just get a split out of this weekend.
    True with a big BUT

Wisconsin replaced the departing goalies with an all American transfer, fifth year goalie from St Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Draighlicht View Post
    True with a big BUT

Wisconsin replaced the departing goalies with an all American transfer, fifth year goalie from St Lawrence.
    True and he played a regular game with his new team already

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Draighlicht View Post
    True with a big BUT

Almost. The Badger's (would have been Junior) Matt Jurusic left school to return to the USHL to seek more playing time. Sophmore Jack Berry, who was 2-2 vs you guys getting the 2-1 win at the B1G tourney, is back. Kyle Hayton is a graduate transfer having taken 24 credits this summer to complete his degree at St Lawrence early. He isn't a 5th year senior and I assume he will have his All American skates in goal both games.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Almost. The Badger's (would have been Junior) Matt Jurusic left school to return to the USHL to seek more playing time. Sophmore Jack Berry, who was 2-2 vs you guys getting the 2-1 win at the B1G tourney, is back. Kyle Hayton is a graduate transfer having taken 24 credits this summer to complete his degree at St Lawrence early. He isn't a 5th year senior and I assume he will have his All American skates in goal both games.
    Thought Berry had left too but you guys definitely have a big edge in net this weekend.

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Thought Berry had left too but you guys definitely have a big edge in net this weekend.
    He was obviously a huge get for us and looked as advertised in the opener. We'll have 3 freshman on the Blue line as soph JD Greenway is out for an undisclosed length of time for undisclosed reasons. ( It's a mystery at the moment. ) So that's a bit of an issue this early in the season. Three Freshman up front as well with two on the top two lines, but they are pretty good players. All in all, even with the loss of Kunin, I'd say the Badgers will be much improved this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    He was obviously a huge get for us and looked as advertised in the opener. We'll have 3 freshman on the Blue line as soph JD Greenway is out for an undisclosed length of time for undisclosed reasons. ( It's a mystery at the moment. ) So that's a bit of an issue this early in the season. Three Freshman up front as well with two on the top two lines, but they are pretty good players. All in all, even with the loss of Kunin, I'd say the Badgers will be much improved this year.
    With all the new guys i bet its nice to have that security blanket in net

However it goes this weekend by last weekend of the regular season when we meet again they both will be totally different teams which will add a great element of anticipation.

Nice comeback win tonight. Tough to start on the road especially against that team and to come from behind in the last 10 minutes with 2 goals was great. Romeo was solid making the saves he was supposed to make and the defense was decent getting pucks out of harms way. The team as a whole was outstanding blocking shots and letting Romeo see most that would get through. Came for a split and now can go for more tomorrow.

Nice comeback win tonight. Tough to start on the road especially against that team and to come from behind in the last 10 minutes with 2 goals was great. Romeo was solid making the saves he was supposed to make and the defense was decent getting pucks out of harms way. The team as a whole was outstanding blocking shots and letting Romeo see most that would get through. Came for a split and now can go for more tomorrow.
    My major concern (worry) about the first two games is what bothered me last year. Is this team going to play great against good opponents and take the night off against teams they are clearer better than? Are they going to play much better hockey on the road than they do at home in the Schott?

Too early to tell, but that little bugaboo drove me nuts last year.

Proud New Englander living in Ohio.

Didn't see game 2 but I think a split is what most of us were aiming for and a split is what we got. At least goaltending and defense wasn't a total liability like it was during the Ryerson game, so that's a great sign. Anyone see anything in particular worth mentioning?

hockey

Coming into town for the Friday night RPI/OSU hockey game. Like to eat at local restaurants vs chains. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Not necessarily looking for a 'lively" atmosphere as much as some place to get a good sandwich/burger and adult beverage.

Quote Originally Posted by 1988 View Post
    Coming into town for the Friday night RPI/OSU hockey game. Like to eat at local restaurants vs chains. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Not necessarily looking for a 'lively" atmosphere as much as some place to get a good sandwich/burger and adult beverage.
    I like Rooters they have a variety of food options but the wings and boneless wings are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye22 View Post
    Didn't see game 2 but I think a split is what most of us were aiming for and a split is what we got. At least goaltending and defense wasn't a total liability like it was during the Ryerson game, so that's a great sign. Anyone see anything in particular worth mentioning?
    I listened to it and from what i could gather the defense lapses caused 2 of the 3 goals which Romeo had no chance on. It sounded like the legs werent there for most of the 1st and 2nd. I agree a split is what we wanted at worst and we got it. Moving forward just keep improving and things will fall into place.

Not impressed with two shootout wins against unranked RPI at home. Learn from it and get better, I guess.

Proud New Englander living in Ohio.

Ya with everything we lost this year is gonna be interesting. I thought goaltending would be the bigger issue, so I'm glad to see through two weeks that it hasn't been. Scoring is the big question mark for me. We definitely have a few guys who can score (Jobst, Joshua, etc.), but I haven't seen anyone yet who has stepped up to fill in for Schilkey or Gust. We'll see. RMU is a team we should beat but we had a real tough time with them last year.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018

OSU '18

Having seen this team in person for the first time i have to say something that concerns me is the lack of grit. Many times Perry made the first save and when there were rebounds but the Buckeyes were either slow to the puck or got pushed aside allowing a clear. The other thing that concerns me is 0-19 or whatever it is on the PP. They are getting way to cute with the puck and no traffic in front of the net. The Goaltending was decent cant fault Romeo on either goal both came off turnovers. Even though they have played on the same team some of these guys really havent played a game on the same line. You can see it in the passing. Its way off and at times they cant complete 1 pass let alone 2 or 3 coming up the ice. They are missing Schilky and Gust for sure but Jobst and Joshua have to find a way. for both of those guys its easier being the hunter than the hunted as they are finding out. With Schilkly other teams knew he was the guy and that made them gear up the defense for him allowing others to come in under the radar. Jobst is the guy who is hurt the most so far by them not being here. He is seeing the top pair of Dmen from the other team. Ohio State is going to have to get creative and have others step up. As i see it they are probably the 5th best team in the league coming in. Lets see how they improve this weekend on the road at Umass and then Robert Morris( who has never lost in the Schott.)

Thread Information