Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Well looking right now we're #4 in the pairwise. Not all games are done yet this weekend so it may not last but it's sure nice to see regardless!
    Still at 4 after all games are done. The lowest they can finish is 6th now.

Comment

• Re: Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

Heard that the linesman who took the puck in the face Friday was Zachary Roberts and he lost 5 teeth and a possible orbital bone fracture!
      Does the B1G offer full dental to it's on ice officials?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        The Ohio State way is to kick everybody's butts in football every year and then give some thought to the other sports.
        What happened in the 90's with Cooper then?
        Originally posted by alfablue
        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post
          They beat everyone but the one thgats means the most.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
            I thought he was on your side? I can ask him, he lives a couple hundred yards from me.
            You guys should have hired him instead of Rich Rod, he gave you more wins over us than anybody! LOL!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              I can't say my contacts are good with the women's program and one of the people I know who was a good source retired a couple of years ago. osualum86 seems to be familiar with the women's program, perhaps he'd know?
              While I can't comment on the contract reasons (I don't know anything on that front) what I've heard regarding a new hockey facility:

Original plans was a 3 rink facility approx 100+ million dollar budget located next to the (finally being built) Cavelli center.

The big hiccup is lack of funding even for the major design phase. They've put bids out for rough designs last year but I haven't seen a followup. They would need 10-20 mill just to start securing the site and begin architectural design and bidding. The several other major projects going up on campus are majorly over budget, several without even having broken ground yet, which means no leftover money to begin work on a new facility.

The rumor mill is that plans for the new facility have essentially been put on indefinite hold. Instead they are planning to drop a 1k seat Arena attached to the Schott.

One of these seasons not having a decent hockey only facility will come to bite them in the ***. I was sort of hoping we would have to play at the old barn and be embarrassed playing there to get some attention.

Of course everything above is with a grain of salt due to being rumors.

Comment

Originally posted by LunarOhio View Post
                While I can't comment on the contract reasons (I don't know anything on that front) what I've heard regarding a new hockey facility:

Original plans was a 3 rink facility approx 100+ million dollar budget located next to the (finally being built) Cavelli center.

The big hiccup is lack of funding even for the major design phase. They've put bids out for rough designs last year but I haven't seen a followup. They would need 10-20 mill just to start securing the site and begin architectural design and bidding. The several other major projects going up on campus are majorly over budget, several without even having broken ground yet, which means no leftover money to begin work on a new facility.

The rumor mill is that plans for the new facility have essentially been put on indefinite hold. Instead they are planning to drop a 1k seat Arena attached to the Schott.

One of these seasons not having a decent hockey only facility will come to bite them in the ***. I was sort of hoping we would have to play at the old barn and be embarrassed playing there to get some attention.

Of course everything above is with a grain of salt due to being rumors.
                That is basically what I heard ... guys staying in the Schott, and a 1,200-seat arena for the women being attached to the Schott.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                  he probably spent the day at the OSU dental clinic.

Now I have a rumor for you to look into with your folks regarding the new arena, and it came from someone who has always been truthful and correct with me. Is there a stipulation in the women's coach's contract that OSU must announce plans for a new facility within three years of her signing or her contract is void? That would be April of 2019. If that's correct then I feel good about getting something underway soon. Not sold on the attachment to the Schott, but I have always felt that the men were not going to leave the building.
                  Guess the university is going to show their true colors when it comes to our hockey program on this one! Really, there is no excuse for this university to not have a hockey-only facility already. I am really going to be ****ed if we lose a great coach because of this.

Comment

This has probably been discussed ad nauseum here already but why are you guys hosting us at Nationwide vs. the Schottenstein Center? Obviously there is a conflict but in their defense who would have thought that you'd be hosting a 2nd round playoff game? Seriously. Congratulations but no one would have said that this was going to happen.
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                      They beat everyone but the one thgats means the most.
                      Precisely, he could beat the Lil Sisters of the poor but not Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        I thought he was on your side? I can ask him, he lives a couple hundred yards from me.
                        You guys should have hired him instead of Rich Rod, he gave you more wins over us than anybody! LOL!
                        What took you guys so long to fire him? We only gave Rich Clod 3 years (and it was 3 years too long IMHO). I'll admit that I supported Hoke at first, but it became painfully obvious pretty quickly that he wasn't the man for the job. Harbaugh I was all in for at first but after following a few games that he absolutely blew I'm starting to wonder. Pretty sure he still thinks that he is in the Pro's and can just sit on a lead/get a punt-off.

But back to hockey, I'm excited about Mel. I absolutely loved Coach Berenson but yes it was time for him to go. Mel is the fresh blood, from the same vein, that we needed.

I'm looking forward to Saturday. Hopefully the 5th time's the charm.

Question: That was a huge accomplishment sweeping us this year, but if we happen to beat you on Saturday will that diminish your feeling? Or is this a must-win for you?

Comment

This has probably been discussed ad nauseum here already but why are you guys hosting us at Nationwide vs. the Schottenstein Center? Obviously there is a conflict but in their defense who would have thought that you'd be hosting a 2nd round playoff game? Seriously. Congratulations but no one would have said that this was going to happen.
                          This goes back to the same issue we had with on campus playoffs during the CCHA days where the university contracts with the Ohio High School Athletic Association to host the state high school wrestling & basketball tournaments in our home arena so we get bumped out, a very touchy subject among the hockey fans here.
                          The almighty dollar is MUCH more important to the school than their own sports programs and I thought our administrators were the only jerks who did this but the Wisconsin fans is seems deal with the EXACT same scenario with the Kohl Center. It just su*ks the B1G and NCAA allow schools to do that.
                          As far as a must win? You guys know as well as anyone what it's like to keep momentum rolling this time of year and there's always the excitement/dread of playing Michigan again this season. It would be a record if we beat you 5 times in a season and given the rivalry between our two schools it would definitely sustain and increase that momentum but we are also quite aware you are a much improved team and could quite well beat us hence the dread factor.
                          Right now we could in theory finish with that #4 Pairwise ranking and possibly get our first ever #1 seeding so winning to get every advantage going into the NCAA's is a must do for that alone regardless of the rivalry factor.
                          It should be a very intense game with the one & done and safe travels to all who come down to support your team.

Comment

What took you guys so long to fire him? We only gave Rich Clod 3 years (and it was 3 years too long IMHO). I'll admit that I supported Hoke at first, but it became painfully obvious pretty quickly that he wasn't the man for the job. Harbaugh I was all in for at first but after following a few games that he absolutely blew I'm starting to wonder. Pretty sure he still thinks that he is in the Pro's and can just sit on a lead/get a punt-off.

But back to hockey, I'm excited about Mel. I absolutely loved Coach Berenson but yes it was time for him to go. Mel is the fresh blood, from the same vein, that we needed.

Question: That was a huge accomplishment sweeping us this year, but if we happen to beat you on Saturday will that diminish your feeling? Or is this a must-win for you?
                            I think you original problem was your AD from Domino's. Almost no sports background and one needs both that and a financial sense to succeed in that position. I noticed that he's now with Toys R Us and they are now going bankrupt.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post

To answer your question no its not a must win. Yes it would be nice to go 5-0 against Michigan but if they do lose ill taje 4-1 on the year.

Comment

Its not like *ichigan is our hockey rival anyways. Too bad Rohls decided he didn't want to play Miami anymore. (you know...not winning at home against them since at least 2009?)

Is it a must win? No. Would I like to win it? Yes and no. Yes: Go on to a possible #1 seed for NCAA, pleasure of beating them for a 5th time, etc. No: Become a #2 seed and possibly play in Allentown which is a much easier trip than ND, New England, etc. I haven't been keeping up with the rough bracketology so correct me if I'm wrong.

All I know is its going to take winning an NCAA championship to even possibly become a blip on the radar of Gene Smith. An extra 50k in his pocket might get his attention on actually giving the hockey programs some attention.

Comment

Working...
                                X