Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Definitely agree with you on the incentives facing the CBJ season ticket holders, and the decision the vast majority would make.
    Nevertheless, college hockey games need to be played on weekends. That, along with affordable ticket prices, accounts for a significant percentage of our crowd. If we move games to mid-week to dodge the CBJ, the result would be a net loss of attendance.
    I suppose a Saturday/Sunday home series could work. That would allow you dodge a Friday evening CBJ game, without losing the family crowd.
    Another factor that cuts the same way: We can't be hopelessly out of sync with the rest of the college hockey world. Oddball scheduling does require the consent of the visiting team, and/or approval of the conference.
    Quite right as usual Mr.PGB bringing into perspective the challenges of scheduling. Obviously I wasn't suggesting though there could be alternatives to existing scheduling, pretty much saying it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      While I'd quarrel with some of the particulars, I agree with the general thrust of your post.

You're largely correct as a factual matter, but I'd put a more positive spin on it. This was by far the best turnout OSU Hockey has had at Nationwide Arena. My hope is that we've finally turned the corner on accepting Nationwide as alternate site for college hockey. When needed for future playoff games, maybe we can stop viewing playing at an NHL Rink as a hardship. Heck, with this success, perhaps a Nationwide Frozen Four becomes a more realistic possibility.

Consider: The Gopher Hockey fanbase has been highly critical of most everything to do with B1G Hockey. They aren't shy about dissenting. But in general, that fanbase doesn't complain about playing at The X, home of the NHL Wild. Instead, they treat those games as special occasions. Except, of course, for the two B1G tournaments that were held there!

Which leads directly to my final point. Saturday night's turnout was a SPECTACULAR improvement over the crowds in St. Paul & Detroit for the 4 neutral site tournaments. That's an accomplishment to be proud of, even if we have to give an assist to the Michigan fanbase.
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the attendance issues largely driven by the arrogance of the Minny & Michigan fans who refused to travel to the other's site because each thought they should be the permanent host? I still think a first round series on campus and a Final Four weekend in Chicago (centrally located, neutral site to avoid the butthurt and tons of alumni from all the schools) would be the best option.

Comment

I don't think UM fans or fans in Michigan thought the conference tournament should be held permanently in Detroit. Most were fine with the idea of a rotation.

The CCHA tournament had already begun to see attendance crater the last couple of years it existed. The last championship, held in 2013 with UM one of the participating teams, had horrible attendance. Whatever the boxscore says, there weren't 6000 people in the place, a far cry from just a few years earlier when more than 15,000 butts were in the seats for 2 earlier UM/ND finals.

I think the whole idea of these conference tournaments have begun to lose their luster. Fewer and fewer people are interested in travelling for away games, and if they do, they are likely holding back for the ultimate games, the Frozen Four.

Minnesota fans probably looked at the way things were fading for the CCHA tournament and noting they were still drawing well for the WCHA "Final Five" maybe it should be held in St. Paul on an annual basis, at least at first. While the crowds there were a little better than the utter embarrassment they were in Detroit, they were nothing compared to the WCHA crowds and excitement, especially in the heyday of the Final Five. The other tournaments are seeing the same things. Crowds in Lake Placid are going to be mediocre, and the stands will be mostly empty for most of the Hockey East games too I'm betting.

I like the way things are set up now in both the WCHA and the B1G. One tweak I might make is to either make the semi final round a best of three (the WCHA does), or move to a two-weekend set-up with the number 1 team hosting a final four. Play the semis on Friday and the title game on Saturday. In the B1G we all, I believe, have facilities that could do this. But I like the idea of home games. Sterile environments suck. And anymore all the neutral site games have a sterile environment, save for the Frozen Four.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
          I don't think UM fans or fans in Michigan thought the conference tournament should be held permanently in Detroit. Most were fine with the idea of a rotation.

The CCHA tournament had already begun to see attendance crater the last couple of years it existed. The last championship, held in 2013 with UM one of the participating teams, had horrible attendance. Whatever the boxscore says, there weren't 6000 people in the place, a far cry from just a few years earlier when more than 15,000 butts were in the seats for 2 earlier UM/ND finals.

I think the whole idea of these conference tournaments have begun to lose their luster. Fewer and fewer people are interested in travelling for away games, and if they do, they are likely holding back for the ultimate games, the Frozen Four.

Minnesota fans probably looked at the way things were fading for the CCHA tournament and noting they were still drawing well for the WCHA "Final Five" maybe it should be held in St. Paul on an annual basis, at least at first. While the crowds there were a little better than the utter embarrassment they were in Detroit, they were nothing compared to the WCHA crowds and excitement, especially in the heyday of the Final Five. The other tournaments are seeing the same things. Crowds in Lake Placid are going to be mediocre, and the stands will be mostly empty for most of the Hockey East games too I'm betting.

I like the way things are set up now in both the WCHA and the B1G. One tweak I might make is to either make the semi final round a best of three (the WCHA does), or move to a two-weekend set-up with the number 1 team hosting a final four. Play the semis on Friday and the title game on Saturday. In the B1G we all, I believe, have facilities that could do this. But I like the idea of home games. Sterile environments suck. And anymore all the neutral site games have a sterile environment, save for the Frozen Four.
          Im with you on the format. I hope they tweak it to either best of 3 in the semis or all 4 goibg to the #1 seeds place.

Comment

Off to South Bend today! Hopefully no luck of the Irish on St.Patricks Day today!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              Off to South Bend today! Hopefully no luck of the Irish on St.Patricks Day today!
              Travel safely & wave to the camera!

Comment

Ready to go to the arena. Let's bring home a title.

Comment

Disappointed with the result last night but the effort in the last 40 minutes was outstanding. #1 seed in the Ncaa for the first time ever.

Comment

Good LUCK to Sean Romeo..! {former Maine Black Bear, who never got a chance @ Orono}.

Comment

#1 seed in Allentown. We got the closest available regional and we're playing a beatable team. Can't ask for more than that. Can't wait to see if we can make a run. Go Bucks!
                      Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                      University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

shocked they sent Ohio State to Allentown instead of Notre Dame but ill take the shorter trip.

Comment

If OSU plays like the played for a long stretch of the 2nd and 3rp periods yesterday, your first #1 seed will result in your 2nd trip to a Frozen Four. I'm frankly surprised (if also relieved) they didn't find a 3rd goal sometime last night they way they played. Teams that skate hard to every puck and win the 50/50 battles are fun to watch, especially when they have the talent to make the effort pay off. Was impressed with the depth of the team. Lucky for both of our teams it didn't take 3 or 4 OTs to decide the game. I actually thought if I had the choice of winning in the 4th OT or losing 3 minutes into the first, it might be a tough decision. We were a 1 seed either way, and with North Dakota out and no nearby regional, meh.

Congrats on the season so far and good luck in Allentown.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                            If OSU plays like the played for a long stretch of the 2nd and 3rp periods yesterday, your first #1 seed will result in your 2nd trip to a Frozen Four. I'm frankly surprised (if also relieved) they didn't find a 3rd goal sometime last night they way they played. Teams that skate hard to every puck and win the 50/50 battles are fun to watch, especially when they have the talent to make the effort pay off. Was impressed with the depth of the team. Lucky for both of our teams it didn't take 3 or 4 OTs to decide the game. I actually thought if I had the choice of winning in the 4th OT or losing 3 minutes into the first, it might be a tough decision. We were a 1 seed either way, and with North Dakota out and no nearby regional, meh.

Thanks. This OSU team has been fun to watch. Let's both win the next three games and do this all over again in the finals in St Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

Your goalie was outstanding for those 40 minutes that ohio state played very well. That was what a championship game is supposed to be hard fought right down to the end. Good Luck in Bridgeport hope we can get another shot in St. Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                                #1 seed in Allentown. We got the closest available regional and we're playing a beatable team. Can't ask for more than that. Can't wait to see if we can make a run. Go Bucks!
                                "beatable" possibly, Princeton is 13-2-1 in its last 16 games.

Comment

Working...
                                X