Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

Well the next question is with this season under our belt and what we and showed, how much will this bolster recruiting?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      Well the next question is with this season under our belt and what we and showed, how much will this bolster recruiting?
      I have to believe this will bolster recruiting, which will help us get to the point where we are reloading instead of rebuilding. The upper echelon programs just reload and are in the hunt to get to the Frozen Four on a regular basis. I hope we are headed in that direction. Getting to the NCAA Tournament last season, then going back this season and getting to the Frozen Four is a good step in the right direction. Hopefully we will be back in the Frozen Four soon and finish the job next time.

Comment

Originally posted by MDtoGf View Post
        Absolute prevaledge to watch OSU, they are a fun team to watch.. my recap has a quote from Rohlik on the state of OSU Hockey Men and Women's

Columbus Hockey fans now have three great teams to watch
        Recap of game one
        https://seamoresports.com/2018/04/05...e-frozen-four/
        Recap of game 2
        https://seamoresports.com/2018/04/06...-in-the-final/
        I was not happy yesterday, but in retrospect, it has been a great hockey season here in central Ohio. Both of our teams at tOSU went to the Frozen Four and the CBJ are on their way to the NHL Playoffs in another week or so. As for OSU, hopefully both are able to make it back to the Frozen Four next season and finish the job.

Comment

Previously we never got the blue chip players to the degree other programs have. We seemed to have had to dig deeper for the talent and find those diamonds in the rough or good kids who were overlooked or didn't get better offers from other programs.

Comment

Previously we never got the blue chip players to the degree other programs have. We seemed to have had to dig deeper for the talent and find those diamonds in the rough or good kids who were overlooked or didn't get better offers from other programs.
            We did for a brief period after the first Frozen Four when Markell brought in players like Umberger and Steckell. Unfotunately, the fact that these guys seemed to get worse each year in the program (and then bounce back when they left) drove the stake through Ohio State recruiting for at least a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
              We did for a brief period after the first Frozen Four when Markell brought in players like Umberger and Steckell. Unfotunately, the fact that these guys seemed to get worse each year in the program (and then bounce back when they left) drove the stake through Ohio State recruiting for at least a decade.
              While we are remembering that era, let's not forget that Markell was able to land Ryan Kesler, too! We only had him for his freshman year, but I would put him right up there with Umberger and Steckel when it comes to the blue chip recruits we were bringing in at that time. Hopefully, this Frozen Four helps us bring in the same type of blue chip hockey players that the previous Frozen Four did.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
                They won the CCHA while Steckell was still there. What i found funny is they won after RJ left. They seemed to play much more aggressive without RJ.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                  They won the CCHA while Steckell was still there. What i found funny is they won after RJ left. They seemed to play much more aggressive without RJ.
                  At the end RJ was a detriment. His dad had Markel by the short ones and RJ was getting away with stuff that the others would have gotten punished for. The team as a whole came together better when he was gone.

Comment

At the end RJ was a detriment. His dad had Markel by the short ones and RJ was getting away with stuff that the others would have gotten punished for. The team as a whole came together better when he was gone.
                    I was told that exact same thing at the beginning of the season by a player on that 04 team.

Comment

Now the next big question is will any of our skill guys sign their pro contracts and leave or will they have the attitude they still have a job to do here and stay to try and make it back to the Frozen Four?

Comment

Now the next big question is will any of our skill guys sign their pro contracts and leave or will they have the attitude they still have a job to do here and stay to try and make it back to the Frozen Four?
                        I can make a case for Laczynski staying another year since he is a sophomore, but he had such a good year he may sign with the Flyers. I can't make the same case for Joshua since he's a junior and Toronto risks losing him to free agency if he stays another year. Jobst is a different story in that I have heard (rumor) that he is an athlete first and a student second. If someone makes him a good offer, and Pittsburgh and Boston both had him in their camps lat summer, I think he's gone.

Miguel Fidler should be back after sitting out this season and there were several kids who played early or not at all that never made an appearance in the second half of the season (Fadyeyev, Rounds, Gabriele). Whether that was because of injury, physical maturity or other reasons is your guess. There appears to be a couple incoming freshmen that are older and may be able to contribute. Time will tell.

Now on to wondering who the out of conference opponents will be next season. Arizona State I hear. Hoping Bowling Green and/or Miami make their way back to the schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                          I can make a case for Laczynski staying another year since he is a sophomore, but he had such a good year he may sign with the Flyers. I can't make the same case for Joshua since he's a junior and Toronto risks losing him to free agency if he stays another year. Jobst is a different story in that I have heard (rumor) that he is an athlete first and a student second. If someone makes him a good offer, and Pittsburgh and Boston both had him in their camps lat summer, I think he's gone.

Miguel Fidler should be back after sitting out this season and there were several kids who played early or not at all that never made an appearance in the second half of the season (Fadyeyev, Rounds, Gabriele). Whether that was because of injury, physical maturity or other reasons is your guess. There appears to be a couple incoming freshmen that are older and may be able to contribute. Time will tell.

Now on to wondering who the out of conference opponents will be next season. Arizona State I hear. Hoping Bowling Green and/or Miami make their way back to the schedule.
                          Wont be miami they released their schedule today

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                            Wont be miami they released their schedule today
                            Their loss, or more correctly they avoided one. LOL!
                            Figures we don't play them now when we're playing on a level where we'd tear through them like wet tissue paper.
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 04-12-2018, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Posted this over on the OSU Women's Hockey Thread. Decided to cut and paste because of the obvious relevance here:

Frozen Doubles

Both OSU Hockey Teams made it to their respective Frozen Fours in 2018. It's an achievement to be long remembered and cherished. Yes, it's a Buckeye first. Still, while remarkable, it's not all that rare.

I reviewed the records from 1998 through the just completed season. I chose 1998 because that was the first year that Women's Hockey had a national tournament for the last four teams standing. The AWCHA sponsored the first three of those tournaments. The NCAA picked up the sponsorship in 2001.

Over the course of those 21 seasons, the Frozen Double has occurred 12 times. Here's the list:

Minnesota (5) 2002, 2003, 2005, 2012, 2014

Boston College (3) 2007, 2012, 2016

New Hampshire (2) 1998, 1999

Wisconsin (1) 2006 (Both Teams Won National Titles.)

Ohio State (1) 2018

Not bad company to be in.

Comment

Heard some good news from a very reliable source that all guys that can return will return form 18-19 season.

Comment

Working...
                                X