Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

The road to the Frozen Four in 1998 also started against a Ivy or ECAC school.

Comment

Good luck last night for the Irish, bad luck for us. Found out prior to the game that senior forward Matthew Weis broke his collarbone in practice!
      We were out of sync that first period and I think in my opinion that some of it could have well been the result of losing some of the chemistry of our lines with Weis being out. He and Tanner were a scoring duo.

Comment

Seven hour 400 mile drive next weekend! Why couldn't those morons in the NCAA actually have the Midwest regional in the Midwest?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          Seven hour 400 mile drive next weekend! Why couldn't those morons in the NCAA actually have the Midwest regional in the Midwest?
          Could be worse I guess. I mean, they could've put it in Des Moines or Minneapolis. Those are in the Midwest. Just be thankful they actually sent OSU to the closest regional, unlike last year.
          Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
          University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

From looking at the stats they can score the puck they have the 2nd leading goal scorer in the country 2nd in assists and 2nd in overall points. The PP is #1 in the country at 28%. This team is no slouch Ohio State is going not going to win this game by just showing up.

Comment

Leaving Thursday after work going to try and see open practice on Friday.

Comment

Good luck last night for the Irish, bad luck for us. Found out prior to the game that senior forward Matthew Weis broke his collarbone in practice!
                We were out of sync that first period and I think in my opinion that some of it could have well been the result of losing some of the chemistry of our lines with Weis being out. He and Tanner were a scoring duo.
                Had the exact same thought. After sleeping on it, I still believe we're correct.

Very complicated topic. Short answer: Midwestern rinks aren't bidding on the regionals. You can't award a tournament to a city where no one bids. Further, the rinks in question would be irrational to bid. Attendance in places like Toledo & Fort Wayne has been incredibly bad.

In the Midwest, the Regionals really need to be on campus sites (or have a local host school) to have a realistic chance of drawing decent crowds. Unfortunately, NCAA policy currently dictates neutral sites, and that policy appears unlikely to change. The "small" schools, meaning pretty much everybody except the B1G schools, would rather play the regionals in masoleums than use campus sites. And at least for now, they have the votes to make that stick.

From there, please realize that after getting burned once, the "masoleums" aren't going to schedule another financial bloodbath. The net result is that AHL facilities along the Eastern Seaboard are going to get more than their fair share of the regionals, literally by default.

Buckeye22 is correct. We got the closest available assignment. Granted, a 14 hour round trip on short notice is a bit of a hardship. But the "morons" didn't withhold a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                  Buckeye22 is correct. We got the closest available assignment. Granted, a 14 hour round trip on short notice is a bit of a hardship. But the "morons" didn't withhold a better option.
                  Wish I had more time this morning to go into detail but I used the morons term because how the NCAA solicits arenas for these events leaves much to be desired which is one of the reasons were don't have a true "Midwest" regional. I have inside information on this because my daughter used to be the personal assistant to the vice president of arena operations at US Bank Arena in Cincinnati who as we all know has hosted previous regionals.

Comment

Wish I had more time this morning to go into detail but I used the morons term because how the NCAA solicits arenas for these events leaves much to be desired which is one of the reasons were don't have a true "Midwest" regional. I have inside information on this because my daughter used to be the personal assistant to the vice president of arena operations at US Bank Arena in Cincinnati who as we all know has hosted previous regionals.
                    That will be a good conversation for the off-season. I look forward to reading your daughter's insights.

As a preliminary response, let me just say that I'm familiar with the lengthy set of demands that the NCAA presents to would-be hosts. No doubt the operations people resent some portion of list, and openly wonder if hosting is worth all the trouble. I'm sure you're daughter got quite an earful.

But this is really a side issue. When fan support is there, and there's great money to be made, operational challenges tend to get shrugged off. In contrast, when tickets don't sell and the host is struggling to minimize losses... well, suddenly the inconveniences start feeling like huge problems.

This topic will keep. For now, travel safely and bring home a couple of wins!

Comment

Im here in Allentown hope the guys watched the #1 seeds today. Dont take this for granted.
                      Last edited by klbaum1077; 03-23-2018, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Watching the TV guy's opinions of Ohio State seems lacking compared to the other teams. Kind of like our presence there is an enigma to them. They haven't said anything negative but their obvious lack of familiarity with us seems to have them unable to really evaluate us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                          Watching the TV guy's opinions of Ohio State seems lacking compared to the other teams. Kind of like our presence there is an enigma to them. They haven't said anything negative but their obvious lack of familiarity with us seems to have them unable to really evaluate us.
                          If you didnt know better and watched dave starman talk you would think Princeton was the high seed and shoulkd blow Ohio State out.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                            If you didnt know better and watched dave starman talk you would think Princeton was the high seed and shoulkd blow Ohio State out.
                            Never been a Starman fan. I see he's compensating this year with the facial hair for the stubble on top.

Comment

Out of curiosity, would Nationwide be considered a home arena for Ohio State or are only on-campus rinks considered such? If so, how do they determine what's a home site? City limits? County limits? Some arbitrary mile radius? With teams getting an auto placement at the nearest regional (a'la ped state), it would certainly seem that the ncaa is trying to be too clever by half. They realize the necessity of home fans attending, yet are stuck in preserving some illusory notion of neutrality. Just ####or get off the pot on the whole matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
                                Out of curiosity, would Nationwide be considered a home arena for Ohio State or are only on-campus rinks considered such? If so, how do they determine what's a home site? City limits? County limits? Some arbitrary mile radius? With teams getting an auto placement at the nearest regional (a'la ped state), it would certainly seem that the ncaa is trying to be too clever by half. They realize the necessity of home fans attending, yet are stuck in preserving some illusory notion of neutrality. Just ####or get off the pot on the whole matter.
                                Great questions, and there is an answer. Just as the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul is neutral ice for the Gophers, Nationwide would be neutral ice for the Buckeyes. The hypocrisy of this compromise is obvious. Your "illusion of neutrality" observation is spot on.

To fully understand, you need to know some political history. Short version of a very long story: The current policy should be called the "Yost/Mariucci Rule." It's widely believed that Michigan & Minnesota parlayed home ice advantage into NCAA wins on multiple occasions. Meaning victories they wouldn't have had without a wildly enthusiastic crowd carrying them. The claim has some merit. Michigan's 1998 win over North Dakota at Yost is probably the ultimate example. But the "solution" has proven to be very problematic, especially in the Western portion of the college hockey world.

As a generalization, NHL rinks are too big for regionals. The needed medium-sized rinks (usually AHL arenas) are readily available in the East. But in the West, the distances between the minor league pro rinks and the college hockey fan bases are much greater. Trips to the regionals are planned on very short notice. The most dedicated fans, like Hockeybuckeye, make it happen. Most fans don't. The result is that unless there's at least one "home" team, the crowds are shockingly bad at Western regionals.

One more political factor. Regrettably, it matters which team gets the home crowd advantage. If one of the "small schools" gets a big boost from a partisan crowd, most of the college hockey world shrugs it off. But should a Big Ten team enjoy a similar advantage, the negative reaction will be immediate, reflexive, widespread and intense. I wish this wasn't part of the story, but it is.

Back to Game Day. Go Bucks!

Comment

Working...
                                X