Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2017-18: Now with more CTE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    He was 15 feet behind the corner when he caught that.
    Seemed like he thought he had help over the top. QB looked that help off just enough.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: College Football 2017-18: Now with more CTE!

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      Alabama wins again. Against another SEC team again. So that's fun for everyone else.
      I'm bummed about the precedent it sets. It sets in stone the lack of need to win either your division or conference to get in. It sets in stone that it's fine to play a pretty darned light schedule if the perception of your conference is high. It sets in stone that late season games against D1-AA teams is fine. If you are in the SEC, that is. When other schools do the same thing, including having a late loss, the opposite applies.

Kind of sucks what makes college football more fun to spend money on out of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        I'm bummed about the precedent it sets. It sets in stone the lack of need to win either your division or conference to get in. It sets in stone that it's fine to play a pretty darned light schedule if the perception of your conference is high. It sets in stone that late season games against D1-AA teams is fine. If you are in the SEC, that is. When other schools do the same thing, including having a late loss, the opposite applies.

Kind of sucks what makes college football more fun to spend money on out of the game.
        Because last year didn't already do that?

Comment

I think that was his point. Last year could have been an aberration. This year codified it.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Alabama didn't intentionally have a weak schedule, though that's not an excuse to ignore that they did. I also don't have too much of an issue with the November FCS game, because it's just flipping a game that would normally happen in September.

I do think the ACC and SEC need to go to 9 conference games, though. Being able to schedule that extra FCS or G5 school is easier than going into Gainesville or Auburn.

But it's all irrelevant because I'm going to play along and act like UCF is the national champion.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Or you could not have two losses by 30+ points and/or lose to an average team, 2016 Penn State and 2017 Ohio State.

Those data points drown out the 13th data point of a CCG when the comparison is pretty close.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The idea is (or at least should be) to put the four best teams into the playoffs. The minute the four teams were announced, Vegas immediately set Alabama as the favorite. Those guys know a little something about college football.

If nothing else, this year might cause an expansion of the playoffs to 8 teams.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    The idea is (or at least should be) to put the four best teams into the playoffs. The minute the four teams were announced, Vegas immediately set Alabama as the favorite. Those guys know a little something about college football.

If nothing else, this year might cause an expansion of the playoffs to 8 teams.
                    But by doing that, you basically say that whatever happens in the regular season, it doesn't matter.

At one time, it was a big deal to win you conference championship. Back in the day, 'Bama would not have even gone to the Sugar Bowl. Now that doesn't matter at all.

Why have conferences if winning them doesn't matter?

This precedent was set a few years ago before the playoffs, confirmed last year with OSU, and set in stone this year.

I know Bama lost that one game because of injuries (and almost lost a second)- but other teams lost games due to injuries, and were better when complete, too.

And it 100% validates scheduling cupcakes, let alone late in the season.

That sucks for people who like watching competitive college football.

Comment

Or we could get away from the whole idea of a national champion. Go back to the traditional bowl match-ups: Big X vs Pac Y in the Rose Bowl, etc. And just enjoy and be happy with that. Restore the tradition and the geographical integrity and local color of the conferences. If people want to debate a mythical "national champion," let them debate it all summer.

Bigger, faster, stronger is not always better. It obliterate most of what is actually valuable.

Monotheism is boring.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        At the very end, the coach's film room segment, watch the OSU coach.

Does. Not. Flinch.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

But by doing that, you basically say that whatever happens in the regular season, it doesn't matter.

At one time, it was a big deal to win you conference championship. Back in the day, 'Bama would not have even gone to the Sugar Bowl. Now that doesn't matter at all.

Why have conferences if winning them doesn't matter?

This precedent was set a few years ago before the playoffs, confirmed last year with OSU, and set in stone this year.

I know Bama lost that one game because of injuries (and almost lost a second)- but other teams lost games due to injuries, and were better when complete, too.

And it 100% validates scheduling cupcakes, let alone late in the season.

That sucks for people who like watching competitive college football.
                          First, it's pretty hard to claim that the playoffs this year weren't "competitive football." I thought they were very competitive games.

Second, let's consider our own sport. How many national champions failed to win their conference's regular season crown? Quite a few I would guess. I think 5 of the last 10, for starters.

Conference play is significant for purposes of rivalries and conference banners, etc... But once we went to a playoff system, it's all about getting the four best teams into the playoffs and let them go at it.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

For what it's worth, I personally am in favor of expanding to 8 teams, putting the five power conference champions into the tournament, then let the committee add three more and seed the field.

Comment

Why have conferences if winning them doesn't matter?...
                              Would you eliminate the conference championship in hockey also? There's pretty much the same situation. Sure, there are differences, like you're more likely to have played everybody in your conference. But still you have teams being pretty much assured that they will be selected for the national championship even if they don't win their conference. But, if anything, that makes the situation worse; Alabama had to sweat a bit wondering if they would make the tournament at all. For some college hockey teams, the conference championship truly is irrelevant to the national tournament.

I agree with SJHovey -- there's going to be a lot of clamor for an eight team playoff. The question is how do you do that? You could eliminate the conference championships. You could eliminate a regular season game (the big loser probably being the cupcakes, who rely on being a cupcake for revenue). Or you could say it's OK for college teams to play 15 games.

Comment

I am so glad I stopped taking anything more than a passing interest in college football years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X