Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2017-18: Now with more CTE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2017-18: Now with more CTE!

Originally posted by CLS View Post
    OK, so we just don’t agree on how important winning the conference championship is. That’s a point reasonable people can disagree on.

I hate Alabama, but I’m OK with their being in the tournament. I’d also be OK with a college hockey team that comes in second in their conference during the regular season, getting bounced in the first round of their conference championship, making the tournament based on their PWR, and winning the national tournament. Presumably, you wouldn't be.

I am curious as to how you arrive at the conclusion that Alabama had a weaker schedule than Wisconsin. I don’t know what algorithm the NCAA uses, but using this one (which has the advantage of being able to get rankings on a specific date) here are the rankings for Wisconsin and Alabama:

Completion of regular season: Alabama 7, Wisconsin 45
    Following conference championships: Alabama 10, Wisconsin 20
    Following Orange and Sugar Bowls: Alabama 6, Wisconsin 14
    End of Season: Alabama 2, Wisconsin 14
    And if you look at other sites, they come up with a totally different SOS rating. Seems like Bamas would have gone down after the bowl games, since the SEC was well under .500. In other words, there's barely a way to come up with a number that is statistically relevant and meaningful.

But ignore the SEC bias, the non conference schedule- Bama played FSU (which should have been strong, but they were barely .500), Colorado State, Fresno (who ended up good) and Mercer. If I were a fan, I would not be all that happy, since none of those teams, other than FSU, are terribly interesting.

Still, IMHO, it sucks that winning a conference championship has so little importance, and that also means that losing a conference, even by one game, has barely an impact. That sucks a lot of life out of what should make football interesting. Now it's more of a national sport just to get TV ratings. yay....

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      How could Bama sos go up after playing uga? That team blew a huge lead and gave up a 41y td to lose.
      They were awful
      Because beating a (then) 13-1 team seeded 1st-3rd improves your SOS.

Duh.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        Because beating a (then) 13-1 team seeded 1st-3rd improves your SOS.

Duh.
        I think your sarcasm detector is broken.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

If the hockey tourney was 4 they’d a been frucked

Make the foosball 16 teams and you’re golden
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            And if you look at other sites, they come up with a totally different SOS rating. Seems like Bamas would have gone down after the bowl games, since the SEC was well under .500. In other words, there's barely a way to come up with a number that is statistically relevant and meaningful.
            Agree there. Similar to hockey, there aren’t enough interconference games. Also, to some extent SOS is a matter of luck. As you point out, Alabama – FSU looked like a blockbuster prior to the season. And as for Wisconsin, when BYU in Provo was scheduled (probably several years ago), it looked like a great game. The trend seems to be one tough non-conference game and the rest cupcakes. If what you thought was going to be a tough game turns out to be a semi-cupcake (and/or as with Wisconsin, the teams you're scheduled to play have off years), your SOS is going to suffer.

But ignore the SEC bias, the non conference schedule- Bama played FSU (which should have been strong, but they were barely .500), Colorado State, Fresno (who ended up good) and Mercer. If I were a fan, I would not be all that happy, since none of those teams, other than FSU, are terribly interesting.
            Agree again. Unfortunately, the cupcakes aren’t going away. The power schools like them because they generally don’t risk a loss (I won’t bring up Appalachian State) and the cupcakes like them because of the revenue. The only thing that could curtail them is if fans stop going and/or watching them on TV.

Still, IMHO, it sucks that winning a conference championship has so little importance, and that also means that losing a conference, even by one game, has barely an impact. That sucks a lot of life out of what should make football interesting. Now it's more of a national sport just to get TV ratings. yay....
            I think that was one of the “be careful what you wish for” outcomes of the creation of, and tinkering with, the national championship tournament. We’ve seen something similar happen in hockey, but hockey’s been able to offer a plum to the tournament winner – an autobid. Still, many teams know pretty much where they will end up prior to the conference tournament. And the conference tournaments aren’t near what they used to be.

Given the national football tournament isn’t going away, what would you do? I like the suggestion of an eight team tournament with an autobid for the power five and three at-large teams, one of which must be a group of five. Might have changed some of the argument, but IMO, Alabama would have gotten in and still would have won.

Comment

What if hockey went to just the tournament champions? The conference tournaments would become intense, full barn, showcases knowing that one loss, or a lost series, and your season is kaput.

Envision the ACC tournament prior when the NCAA only took 1 team per conference and you'll get the idea.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I hate the idea of tournament champions so much. It erases the importance of the regular season.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I hate the idea of tournament champions so much. It erases the importance of the regular season.
                  Wait, you mean the idea of taking exclusively tourney champs, right? Because yes then you're right.

I have no problem at all with the current system of picking teams. Seeding has one thing that's wrong: there should be no concept of "host" and seeding should be strictly according to PWR and completely ignore proximity and attendance. We're picking the best hockey team, not the deepest alumni pockets.
                  Cornell University

Comment

I’d be happy taking conference champions. From the regular season. Get rid of the fluky tournaments.

Obviously in football it’s a necessary evil to have a final game. But for sports with enough games it’s a dilution if the meaning of a championship.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I’d be happy taking conference champions. From the regular season. Get rid of the fluky tournaments.

Obviously in football it’s a necessary evil to have a final game. But for sports with enough games it’s a dilution if the meaning of a championship.
                      Money from fat cat alums. However, in hockey the tournaments have lost their lustre. Back in the day when I was an undergrad you had to make the conference finals to get an NCAA bid (unless you were BU).

The ECAC tournament at the Garden was some intense hockey.
                      Last edited by joecct; 01-10-2018, 08:13 PM.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

SF has won 5 in a row. Why aren’t they in the playoffs?

Or are they and they got a bye out of the wild card game....
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Clemson got some good news today for the 2018 season, as Clelin Ferrell, Austin Bryant, Kendall Joseph, and Mark Fields all announced they will return for next season. This follows up on Mitch Hyatt announcing his return earlier this week. The Tigers are still waiting for Christian Wilkins to make his decision, and Deon Cain already announced he will enter the NFL Draft. There is still a long way to go in the offseason and crazy things can happen, but Clemson looks like the early favorite to win the ACC and make their 4th straight Playoff appearance.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

SF has won 5 in a row. Why aren’t they in the playoffs?

Or are they and they got a bye out of the wild card game....
                            This bit would be funnier if it were in the right thread.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              Clemson got some good news today for the 2018 season, as Clelin Ferrell, Austin Bryant, Kendall Joseph, and Mark Fields all announced they will return for next season. This follows up on Mitch Hyatt announcing his return earlier this week. The Tigers are still waiting for Christian Wilkins to make his decision, and Deon Cain already announced he will enter the NFL Draft. There is still a long way to go in the offseason and crazy things can happen, but Clemson looks like the early favorite to win the ACC and make their 4th straight Playoff appearance.
                              Everyone on earth is trying to avoid being drafted by the clowns.....
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Everyone on earth is trying to avoid being drafted by the clowns.....
                                We should test this by having CLE trade the 1 & 4. How many of these guys would have an agonizing reappraisal?
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X